SCE TDPrime or Domestic

There's a discussion in the other topic, but it really comes down to usage. If you use a lot of electricity, but not using much between 4-9pm, then Prime is better.

Domestic:
Daily allocation for Irvine is 11.4-12.6kWh, so your monthly baseline is about 340-380kWh. This would be billed at 26c, then 101-400% will be billed at 33c.

Prime:
off peak rate is 19c/kWh, and 48c/kWh 4-9pm. And there's also a daily surcharge of $0.40, so add $12 on top of the usage.

There is also the TD-4-9PM:
off peak rate of 30c/kWh, and 47c/kWh 4-9pm. But you get a baseline credit of 8c/kWh, and based on the 340-380kWh baseline, that's about $30 rebate.

You can look at your last month's usage and figure out what's best for you.

Wanted to ask what peoples thoughts are for the Tiered Rate Plan? It's only my gf and I and we generally use no more than 350kwh. For the summer we used up to 450kwh max... Does it make sense to change to the TOU plans? I can't do prime since I don't have a hybrid/EV.

If you're not using a lot, then it's best to stay with Tiered Rate Plan.

And for TOU, Prime is only cheaper if you have hybrid/EV. Prime has daily surcharge of $0.40, so that's $12 on top of your usage. Then 4-9PM also have baseline rebate. For Irvine, baseline rebate should be about $30.

CalBears96 said:
If you're not using a lot, then it's best to stay with Tiered Rate Plan.

And for TOU, Prime is only cheaper if you have hybrid/EV. Prime has daily surcharge of $0.40, so that's $12 on top of your usage. Then 4-9PM also have baseline rebate. For Irvine, baseline rebate should be about $30.
Yeah I was thinking I should stay with Tiered plan since I generally use a little more than the Tier 1 rate and not much more.

Yeah, baseline for Irvine is 340-380kWh and it's 26c/kWh.

Off-peak for Prime is 19c/kWh, but 48c/kWh from 4pm to 9pm and $12 surcharge on top of that.

Off-peak for 4-9PM is 30/kWh and 47c/kWh from 4pm to 9pm, but you get $30 baseline rebate.

I guess depending on what your monthly charge is, TOU-4-9PM could be worth it with $30 rebate.

Did my opt out today.  Staying on domestic tiered plan as my usage stays in tier 1.

Really stupid IMHO, prime is the only tier where any rate during the day was lower than tier 1 yet they wanted to move me into the TOU plan with a project increase of $700/yr.

I could play charging games and move EV charging to midnight to 6AM to save $1.20 per vehicle charge, but wipe that out and then some with the extra 20 cents per KWH between 4-9PM.

Looks like I?ll stress the grid some more during 4-9pM and charge my car and wait to see if the load deferral program rewards improve during the critical windows.

I just got my bill after moving from my grandfathered plan to Prime and it's $190. I usually paid about $100-$130 during this time in previous plan. I guess I might as well install solar panels when moving to the new home in PS in the summer.

CalBears96 said:
I just got my bill after moving from my grandfathered plan to Prime and it's $190. I usually paid about $100-$130 during this time in previous plan. I guess I might as well install solar panels when moving to the new home in PS in the summer.

Bluff doesnt come w/ solar panel? I thought there was a cali law that required new construction installing solar panel.

BlackKnight said:
CalBears96 said:

Bluff doesnt come w/ solar panel? I thought there was a cali law that required new construction installing solar panel.

Bluffs and Highland started construction before the mandate, so it's optional. I believe the mandate is for construction starting after Jan 2020.

Solar panel option is in stage 1 for Bluffs, which is usually already passed the cutoff by the time you can reserve the home, and sales lady said she didn't want to put in the package as option, which would raise the price. Highland gives you a 10-panel ($10k) optional package. Not sure why Highland is able to do that and Bluffs not able to do that, since I assume that it's also stage 1 for Highland.

Back