CA SB9 - Effect in Irvine/OC?

Ain't gonna stick with Irvine, as homes in newer villages are already on a postage stamp. And Irvine Co and friends will shoot it down quicker than 10 lbs sinker in water. Remember the homeless shelters that they attempt to stick it to Irvine? Or how about Vet Cemetery, where has that gone to? Irvine already built and building low income housing to satisfy this. Or at least keep the politicians from doing anything silly such as putting an apartment right next to existing homes.

i think sb9 only overrules zoning regulations not CC&Rs.  so if your HOA says no subdividing which i am sure they all do in irvine then this isn't going to change anything.

was going to post about this, but who are we kidding. with less than 10 ft setback or less in the back, 3 ft setback in the side, how can you build another house on these tiny lots in Irvine?

Totally possible at some communities at El Camino Real and Northwood that has no HOA.

sleepy5136 said:
Most of Irvine is very dense to begin with so I don?t know if it will impact Irvine as much.

Irvine needs to get denser in order to supply the ravenous demand for housing here. As an employer, I want to see dramatically more housing stock so that my entry-level team members can live. While $1m median house sales price might be good for me selfishly as a landowner, it's bad for business. We're not in the tech sector where everyone gets paid a near-six-figure salary, we're in a much lower margin healthcare-adjacent business.

I would love to see an area of Irvine designated as a dense, walkable neighborhood that is car-optional instead of car-dependent. Obviously it won't be anywhere an HOA exists, so it would have to be somewhere like IBC.

Can HOAs really stop it?
If so, I wonder if increased density in places without an HOA (the few in Irvine and then cities nearby) will contribute to price increases in the HOA areas from people trying to escape density.

zovall said:
Can HOAs really stop it?
If so, I wonder if increased density in places without an HOA (the few in Irvine and then cities nearby) will contribute to price increases in the HOA areas from people trying to escape density.

I'm sure someone in an HOA community will challenge the HOA and go to court, that'll be an interesting case.  I can totally see it happening in Turtle Rock and/or Northwood where there are HOAs.  If it happens, bust out the popcorn.  haha

HMart said:
sleepy5136 said:
Most of Irvine is very dense to begin with so I don?t know if it will impact Irvine as much.

Irvine needs to get denser in order to supply the ravenous demand for housing here. As an employer, I want to see dramatically more housing stock so that my entry-level team members can live. While $1m median house sales price might be good for me selfishly as a landowner, it's bad for business. We're not in the tech sector where everyone gets paid a near-six-figure salary, we're in a much lower margin healthcare-adjacent business.

I would love to see an area of Irvine designated as a dense, walkable neighborhood that is car-optional instead of car-dependent. Obviously it won't be anywhere an HOA exists, so it would have to be somewhere like IBC.

This is why in the area of Jamboree and 405 continuing to erect massive apartment complexes. In the Pacific Sales appliances, home imporovement neighborhood, I was schocked how fast it grown and occupied.

Two bed, two bath apartment can goes for in the low 3K to mid 4K. These apartments are pretty well loaded. Gym, spa, dog park, meeting room. And it is near capacity.

Where are all these people come from? It is true we are not building enough.

Forget the affordability, just look for something.....it is going to be more expensive.

zovall said:
Can HOAs really stop it?

If you look at previous court cases. The court sided with the HOA regarding architectural standards. 

eyephone said:
zovall said:
Can HOAs really stop it?

If you look at previous court cases. The court sided with the HOA regarding architectural standards.

This is why me and an ex TI member said to buy some where else (another city or non hoa) if you plan to expand your house.

HMart said:
sleepy5136 said:

I don?t disagree with you that there is a  need for denser housing,  but to allow plopping down up to 4 units in the place of 1 unit, randomly, in single family home
neighborhoods the way SB9 allows it is bad planning and antithetical to the master planning principal Irvine is designed around. The denser housing would be better placed strategically around the retail centers, near transit hubs, near universities, etc, and to some extent that is already how Irvine is laid out, around UCI, and Jamboree business district.  We already have lots of apts, condos and townhouses here. Eventually, a detached true single family residence will become a luxury good.

HOAs are gonna win on this one.  you sign a contract when you buy saying you won't subdivide.  SB9 explicitly targets local agencies and won't preempt CC&Rs.

misme said:
HMart said:
sleepy5136 said:

I don?t disagree with you that there is a  need for denser housing,  but to allow plopping down up to 4 units in the place of 1 unit, randomly, in single family home
neighborhoods the way SB9 allows it is bad planning and antithetical to the master planning principal Irvine is designed around. The denser housing would be better placed strategically around the retail centers, near transit hubs, near universities, etc, and to some extent that is already how Irvine is laid out, around UCI, and Jamboree business district.  We already have lots of apts, condos and townhouses here. Eventually, a detached true single family residence will become a luxury good.

Big picture its a win win for all parties.
- More housing
- Less red tape to build bigger house (maybe/probably idk)
- House value may increase or not due to bigger house

Compressed-Village said:
HMart said:
sleepy5136 said:

This is why in the area of Jamboree and 405 continuing to erect massive apartment complexes. In the Pacific Sales appliances, home imporovement neighborhood, I was schocked how fast it grown and occupied.

Two bed, two bath apartment can goes for in the low 3K to mid 4K. These apartments are pretty well loaded. Gym, spa, dog park, meeting room. And it is near capacity.

Where are all these people come from? It is true we are not building enough.

Forget the affordability, just look for something.....it is going to be more expensive.

We need like 10x more of this for supply to be able to push prices down. We have team members who live in the Skyloft / Metropolis type housing product, but unless they are senior level, it's a tremendous cost burden eating up a third or more of their salary.

misme said:
HMart said:
sleepy5136 said:

I agree with you that denser housing should be in areas already close to other uses such as retail, commercial, transportation, and colleges. I have a bias towards pro-business views politically, so I view the idea behind SB9 a sledgehammer towards restrictive zoning red tape. I am biased towards doing something to expand supply rather than waiting for the perfect opportunity.

Back