Anyone familiar with Rancho Palos Verdes

Super nice. Built in the 60?s, far from freeway access. You get beautiful topography. Ocean and hills combo. Many older homes demo and rebuild. If you have a few millions, you can buy it here.

Bring back many fond memories, I use to surf in the area, hidden secret coves.

morekaos said:
Born and raised there...what do you want to know?

Is life more diversified there? How is the night life there? Is it easy to find Asian food and groceries?Is it convenient to go to LA downtown? And what kind of neighbors I will have by moving there?

talkirvine said:
morekaos said:
Born and raised there...what do you want to know?

Is life more diversified there? How is the night life there? Is it easy to find Asian food and groceries?Is it convenient to go to LA downtown? And what kind of neighbors I will have by moving there?

The Peninsula actually have four cities, which city is more safe and more convenient?

Apples and oranges...South Bay life and Irvine couldn't be further apart.  It was a wonderful place to grow up. Location is both its strength and weakness.  Far enough to provide some space but in the end not easy enough access to get around if you commute.  My mother did a commute to Torrance every morning that was only a few miles but took her almost 45 minutes because of the windy, slow roads it takes to get off the "Hill".. We went to Catholic schools so getting to St. Lawrence and Bishop Montgomery took similar time.  The lots are huge, the homes are mostly older ranch style and there are still many of horse properties.  Also grew up surfing the Bays and coves before and after school.  Expensive homes but if you buy you probably are looking at a rebuild as most are 60's builds....loved growing up there.

Chester killed himself @ his house PV house.

cefaab100852c510a15e43190268282aw-c0xd-w640_h480_q80.jpg

So tortured.

Compressed-Village said:
I can?t live there. I am brained wash with Irvine cleanliness.

After more than 20 years here, I am irvine lifer

Thats so funny CV...I'm just the opposite.  We lived in Irvine from 2003-2007 or so and I couldn't get out of there fast enough.  Being clean, planned, safe, new and compliant drove me insane.  It peaked when I drove down the wrong street one day and spent a minute trying to open the wrong garage.  I started to refer to it as Stepford.  We yearned for a neighborhood.  My current street has 25 houses on it and not one looks the same.  Sure its older but unlike Irvine, where I never knew the neighbors that I shared walls with for 4 years, I know all my neighbors by first name. I have a book with all their contact information that was given to us the day we moved in.  Saturday we are blocking off the street and having a lichon bake with a band.  That would have never happened at Jeffery and Alton.  to each their own.

I lived in the area for a bit of time. I don't think I could live in PV because it's too inconvenient to freeways and the only shopping area you have close by is Silver Spur.

morekaos said:
Compressed-Village said:
I can?t live there. I am brained wash with Irvine cleanliness.

After more than 20 years here, I am irvine lifer

Thats so funny CV...I'm just the opposite.  We lived in Irvine from 2003-2007 or so and I couldn't get out of there fast enough.  Being clean, planned, safe, new and compliant drove me insane.  It peaked when I drove down the wrong street one day and spent a minute trying to open the wrong garage.  I started to refer to it as Stepford.  We yearned for a neighborhood.  My current street has 25 houses on it and not one looks the same.  Sure its older but unlike Irvine, where I never knew the neighbors that I shared walls with for 4 years, I know all my neighbors by first name. I have a book with all their contact information that was given to us the day we moved in.  Saturday we are blocking off the street and having a lichon bake with a band.  That would have never happened at Jeffery and Alton.  to each their own.

Young families are busy with works and kids activities. I can attest to that. We have neighborhood friends that our kids in the same class since kindergarten. They bonds well and so does the parents. We carpool and share rides along with many different activities. If you moved into the neighborhood and your kids grown, it?s harder to get to know your neighbors. Most families put their root down with their kids in minds of attending school in a good district. And they gotta hustle to pay that big Mellio bills. Life is hectic, I understand when at most you see your neighbor garage open then close is all you get.

My first thoughts have been mentioned already.  Beautiful views, older (nice) homes, and too far from freeways.  On average lots are a good bit larger than Irvine lots.  I have a couple friends that live there.  Just getting to LAX which is relatively close by takes 45 minutes with no traffic.  Great place to WFH, but I would slit my wrists if I had to commute from there every day....but most people are willing to put up with more commuting than I am.

talkirvine said:
Who is that poor guy Chester!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chester_Bennington

morekaos said:
Thats so funny CV...I'm just the opposite.  We lived in Irvine from 2003-2007 or so and I couldn't get out of there fast enough.  Being clean, planned, safe, new and compliant drove me insane.  It peaked when I drove down the wrong street one day and spent a minute trying to open the wrong garage. 

That sounds like a you problem, not an Irvine one. :)

RPV is nice but I'd rather buy in the Turtles or the Quail.

Morekaos is anti-Irvine.. so anything but will always be better to him.

And I prefer OC over LA so there is that.

This sounds exactly like the type of places we are looking for! Do you mind sharing where it is?

My current street has 25 houses on it and not one looks the same.  Sure its older but unlike Irvine, where I never knew the neighbors that I shared walls with for 4 years, I know all my neighbors by first name. I have a book with all their contact information that was given to us the day we moved in.  Saturday we are blocking off the street and having a lichon bake with a band.  That would have never happened at Jeffery and Alton.  to each their own.
[/quote]

irvinehomeowner said:
morekaos said:
Thats so funny CV...I'm just the opposite.  We lived in Irvine from 2003-2007 or so and I couldn't get out of there fast enough.  Being clean, planned, safe, new and compliant drove me insane.  It peaked when I drove down the wrong street one day and spent a minute trying to open the wrong garage. 

That sounds like a you problem, not an Irvine one. :)

RPV is nice but I'd rather buy in the Turtles or the Quail.

Morekaos is anti-Irvine.. so anything but will always be better to him.

And I prefer OC over LA so there is that.

As I said..to each their own. True, I have always been a South Bay guy. Our stint in the OC was a give to my wife ( she is an OC girl so I gave it a try for her) in the end it was her that suggested we get back to the LBC. I will admit I just don?t jive with OC, even Newport and CDM are not my cup of tea.  Water always finds its level, mine is in the LBC.

We paid tons of visits to Palos Verdes when we were house hunting and made a few offers there as well. A few key points:

1. Beautiful neighborhoods, especially PV Estates with windy roads along the GORGEOUS coast line. Lots of houses have amazing ocean views and larger lots, smallest lot I saw was 7000 sqft.
2. Seemed to be similar demo mix to Irvine although skewing a little older. Has more of an old money feel.
3. 40 minutes to downtown and venice if you're lucky / no traffic. With traffic make it an hour or so. In that sense it is similar roundtrip as irvine<>la. I'd say Irvine feels like its close to more 'action' because anaheim, santa ana, westminster, newport, and laguna are close.
4. Food-wise, there aren't a ton of eateries in PV itself. Of course you can drive down the hill to Torrance / Redondo or San Pedro / Long Beach for more food options and get plenty via UberEats.
5. People seemed relatively nice in the neighborhoods we looked at. Also seems to have extremely low crime and homelessness.
6. The area is also known for good schools. Most of the people I've ever met who went to PV or PVPeninsula ended up graduating from Top 20 colleges. Lots of my doctor / finance friends grew up there.

Between Irvine and PV, I think its close. I ultimately chose Irvine because of the amazing food and ability to get a new construction build without doing a year+ renovation project. Since my wife and I work remote, we would probably have been happy at either place!

Hope this helps.

Back