Author Topic: Anyone familiar with Rancho Palos Verdes  (Read 1190 times)

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2660
  • -Received: 4010
  • 3CWG
Re: Anyone familiar with Rancho Palos Verdes
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2021, 09:12:11 PM »
Thats so funny CV...I'm just the opposite.  We lived in Irvine from 2003-2007 or so and I couldn't get out of there fast enough.  Being clean, planned, safe, new and compliant drove me insane.  It peaked when I drove down the wrong street one day and spent a minute trying to open the wrong garage. 

That sounds like a you problem, not an Irvine one. :)

RPV is nice but I'd rather buy in the Turtles or the Quail.

Morekaos is anti-Irvine.. so anything but will always be better to him.

And I prefer OC over LA so there is that.
Once you go 3-car garage... your junk can never go back.
3CWG: 3-Car Wide Garage
FCB: Foreign Cash Buyer
I recommend:
www.irvinerealtorsite.com
member: Soylent Green Is People (loans/refis)

Offline baconpark

• Thanks
  • -Given: 14
  • -Received: 1
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2021, 09:29:45 PM »
This sounds exactly like the type of places we are looking for! Do you mind sharing where it is?

My current street has 25 houses on it and not one looks the same.  Sure its older but unlike Irvine, where I never knew the neighbors that I shared walls with for 4 years, I know all my neighbors by first name. I have a book with all their contact information that was given to us the day we moved in.  Saturday we are blocking off the street and having a lichon bake with a band.  That would have never happened at Jeffery and Alton.  to each their own.
[/quote]

Offline morekaos

• Thanks
  • -Given: 554
  • -Received: 515
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2021, 09:46:07 PM »
Naples island, Long Beach… look at the other thread….

https://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/topic,18049.0.html

The following member(s) thanked this post:

Offline morekaos

• Thanks
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2021, 09:56:28 PM »
Thats so funny CV...I'm just the opposite.  We lived in Irvine from 2003-2007 or so and I couldn't get out of there fast enough.  Being clean, planned, safe, new and compliant drove me insane.  It peaked when I drove down the wrong street one day and spent a minute trying to open the wrong garage. 

That sounds like a you problem, not an Irvine one. :)

RPV is nice but I'd rather buy in the Turtles or the Quail.

Morekaos is anti-Irvine.. so anything but will always be better to him.

And I prefer OC over LA so there is that.

As I said..to each their own. True, I have always been a South Bay guy. Our stint in the OC was a give to my wife ( she is an OC girl so I gave it a try for her) in the end it was her that suggested we get back to the LBC. I will admit I just don’t jive with OC, even Newport and CDM are not my cup of tea.  Water always finds its level, mine is in the LBC.

Offline Nani

• Thanks
  • -Given: 0
  • -Received: 2
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2021, 01:13:37 AM »
We paid tons of visits to Palos Verdes when we were house hunting and made a few offers there as well. A few key points:

1. Beautiful neighborhoods, especially PV Estates with windy roads along the GORGEOUS coast line. Lots of houses have amazing ocean views and larger lots, smallest lot I saw was 7000 sqft.
2. Seemed to be similar demo mix to Irvine although skewing a little older. Has more of an old money feel.
3. 40 minutes to downtown and venice if you're lucky / no traffic. With traffic make it an hour or so. In that sense it is similar roundtrip as irvine<>la. I'd say Irvine feels like its close to more 'action' because anaheim, santa ana, westminster, newport, and laguna are close.
4. Food-wise, there aren't a ton of eateries in PV itself. Of course you can drive down the hill to Torrance / Redondo or San Pedro / Long Beach for more food options and get plenty via UberEats.
5. People seemed relatively nice in the neighborhoods we looked at. Also seems to have extremely low crime and homelessness.
6. The area is also known for good schools. Most of the people I've ever met who went to PV or PVPeninsula ended up graduating from Top 20 colleges. Lots of my doctor / finance friends grew up there.

Between Irvine and PV, I think its close. I ultimately chose Irvine because of the amazing food and ability to get a new construction build without doing a year+ renovation project. Since my wife and I work remote, we would probably have been happy at either place!

Hope this helps.

The following member(s) thanked this post:

Offline OCtoSV

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 57
  • -Received: 36
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2021, 10:35:40 AM »
PV is full of the biggest degenerates you will ever meet. There were several in the USC Surf Club back in the day. Massive drug problem and the proximity to even bigger drug/degeneracy Hermosa/Manhattan makes it a crapshoot of a place to raise a kid, kind of like Newport but not dissimilar from La Jolla with the fight culture at LJHS. More Asians there now so may not as bad.

Offline morekaos

• Thanks
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2021, 10:49:10 AM »
PV is full of the biggest degenerates you will ever meet. There were several in the USC Surf Club back in the day. Massive drug problem and the proximity to even bigger drug/degeneracy Hermosa/Manhattan makes it a crapshoot of a place to raise a kid, kind of like Newport but not dissimilar from La Jolla with the fight culture at LJHS. More Asians there now so may not as bad.

Man OC...you are my mirror opposite.  You don't like LBC, PV and now all the South Bay Beach areas.  Those are all my old and current hoods.  I loved every minute of living there and yes, the Japanese moved in aggressively in the 80's to 90's.  Now quite a lot of Chinese buying there.  True there is still a local vibe in the Surf culture but that's been there for many decades.  As I have said, to each their own, we all find our own private Idaho.

Offline OCtoSV

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 57
  • -Received: 36
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2021, 11:04:28 AM »

Man OC...you are my mirror opposite.  You don't like LBC, PV and now all the South Bay Beach areas.  Those are all my old and current hoods.  I loved every minute of living there and yes, the Japanese moved in aggressively in the 80's to 90's.  Now quite a lot of Chinese buying there.  True there is still a local vibe in the Surf culture but that's been there for many decades.  As I have said, to each their own, we all find our own private Idaho.

We're actually likely very similar (besides your FUCLA degrees though we share the CSCI portion!). I'm from L.A. and lived in the SB for many years after school in the late 80s/early 90s back when Pier Ave was still dive bars and the places for talent were 12th St or Sunsets. Remember reggae Sundays at Redondo Snortcenter? El Tarasco rooftop for a Jr Super Deluxe? Surfing dumpy beachbreak at Burnout/Pier(s)/El Stinko? You luckily had the pass to surf the Bay (a couple of the guys I knew were OG Bay Boys) which must have been nice. I got Rat's Cove good a couple times.

I saw the seamy side as well and would say 50% of the local kids I met were total wastoids usually subsidized by disinterested parents. Once I moved to OC I used to sometimes thinks about getting back to the SB, but once we moved to Silicon Valley I saw how different the culture is here, and having just moved our kid into college after 4 yrs at one of the most well know and competitive public high schools in the area I have to say I don't think he would have gone 4 yrs without being exposed to drugs/alcohol/party scene growing up anywhere in SoCal relative to up here.

Now that we're empty nesters I bring up SoCal from time to time with my OC bride but the farthest south she's willing to move at this point is Pebble Beach or Carmel.

Offline morekaos

• Thanks
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2021, 11:10:29 AM »
Ha Ha OC...I bet we cut each other off every once in awhile at Rat and the Cove...I also bartended at Beach Bum Burt's for many years so there's a good chance I Served you a drink during that time period....Cheers!!

Offline Compressed-Village

• Thanks
  • -Given: 352
  • -Received: 270
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2021, 11:36:50 AM »
Hawthorne and Gardena in the late 80's wasn't bad.

As soon as the 90's roll in, it gotten really ugly....I visit there sometimes and as I drive through the area, I thank God for able to move to OC, Irvine.

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal