Pocket door install?

It's definitely not a DIY/YouTube Tutorial job. We looked into this ourselves with our remodel contractor but are settling for Barn Doors - which I guess is a 1/2 of a pocket door.

Good luck!

If you're thinking pocket doors for the bathroom, I'd say rethink that.  At night, pocket door noise is really noticeable.

Definitely not a DIY, you have to take down dry walls and retrofit the pocket door into your wall frame. A lot of work, where as a barn door achieve the same effects and looks, function the same with a modern design.

Depends on your space I think.  We have pocket doors going from master bedroom -> closet -> bathroom.  We didn't put them in, but I'm glad we have pocket doors vs. barn doors because it saves a lot of wall space.  Haven't noticed any real issue with noise.  It does create an annoyance for wiring though.

But our house is 1000 sq ft so every inch of space matters.  In a larger space barn doors might be superior and almost certainly much cheaper.

Barn door good for light... but not as good for sound like a pocket door.

And depending on the configuration, cannot lock a barn door (if you are trying to keep a bathroom private).

irvinehomeowner said:
Barn door good for light... but not as good for sound like a pocket door.

And depending on the configuration, cannot lock a barn door (if you are trying to keep a bathroom private).

Man, when you have young kids, there is no such thing as privacy anymore. :)

Back