Builder Fit and Finish Issue

eyetoeye0000

Hey TI! Long time lurker but finally making my first post because I can't really find more info on my own.

Recently bought a new build and disappointed at the general sloppy work. Been in several new homes and by far the worst. I mean I get it quality isn't to be expected because that's just asking too much  ::) :p but some things I can't just let slide. For instance, shower tile installation. Have a situation where my shower floor clearly looks wavy on top of multiple lipped tiles so I submitted to customer service to fix. Problem is they don't have the same floor tile anymore and the new lot is much darker, closer to Grey than the white ones currently installed. So now, not only are they having to replace the whole floor instead of just the area affected, the floor will be grayish while the subway tiles all around are white. And I just don't like it. Do I have to accept this fix? I feel like I shouldn't have to settle for colors that don't match, I know they make it seem like people do not care, but bottom line I do and it's not the aesthetic I bought into. Had their construction manager caught this and fixed it, we wouldn't be in this situation where they can't find the exact ones anymore.

For more info, I purchased already built so didn't have much say in anything. To top it off, customer service took almost 2 months to even get their tile guys out so all of this was not really something I could have dealt with in a more timely manner. And I did have a 3rd party inspection but this wasn't really apparent I guess until the shower lights were on and the shower actually got used.

Anyways, great advice on this forum all around so hoping someone has some insight. Thanks in advance!

I would not accept it. You paid a lot of money and they should redo the entire shower with a tile of your liking. Also, when they replace the floor tile, do they have to redo the ?hot mop? again?? Or do they just tear up the tile and replace it?? Perhaps some of our handier members can chime in on that. The last thing you want is a shower floor that is taking in moisture over time.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Definitely think so too but the builder cs will do anything and everything to push it under "normal" or "house settling". I'm still waiting on hearing back but anticipating having to put up a fight and wanted to see how others might have handled it.

I'll keep you posted about the hot mopping part since now they're taking up the whole floor vs replacing just a few areas. Makes me think I gotta get a 2nd pair of eyes here while they're working to make sure they're not cutting corners. Initially, no, they claimed the subfloor wouldn't be affected.

eyetoeye0000 said:
Definitely think so too but the builder cs will do anything and everything to push it under "normal" or "house settling". I'm still waiting on hearing back but anticipating having to put up a fight and wanted to see how others might have handled it.

I'll keep you posted about the hot mopping part since now they're taking up the whole floor vs replacing just a few areas. Makes me think I gotta get a 2nd pair of eyes here while they're working to make sure they're not cutting corners. Initially, no, they claimed the subfloor wouldn't be affected.

Did you get a home inspector to do a home inspection for the home?  If not, I would highly recommend that at this point.

Back