Author Topic: How Portola High compares to Uni or NHS  (Read 2617 times)

Offline winterblues

• Tourist
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 21
  • -Received: 14
Re: How Portola High compares to Uni or NHS
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2021, 10:32:54 AM »
Hi there! I'm in Woodbury (so we are also zoned to PHS--at least for now) but my kids are only in elementary school (so take this with a grain of salt). However, I've seen parents asking this question on NextDoor and I've never seen any negative comments from parents of current PHS students.

Anecdotally, I've also chatted with a staff member at the IUSD administration office, and she said that even though PHS was not their home school, she opted to send her son there because she was loving the innovative approach they take.

I do strongly suspect that PHS will continue to climb in the rankings. Good luck in whatever you decide!

Offline IrvineRes

• Tourist
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 12
  • -Received: 14
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2021, 11:15:15 AM »
I am a parent of a recent IUSD grad, with 2 more still in various schools within IUSD.
Based on my experience, there is not so much difference between 5 high schools in our district.  Besides, if you really like high school not in your residential boundary, you can always apply for interdistrict transfer in January of 8th grade and the chances are very good to get into school of your choice.
My daughter, who is currently a sophomore at Uni has quite a few friends who live in NHS or WHS boundaries, but chose to go to Uni. 
Each high school has some strengths and weaknesses and it's important to learn about it now.  Is your child into robotics?  Uni does not have a good club for robotics, so you may look elsewhere.  However, Uni has a good debate team and good science program.  Learn about each school and choose one not based on rankings, but on good fit.
The same goes for selecting college, by the way.

The following member(s) thanked this post:

Offline IrvineRes88

• Tourist
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 3
  • -Received: 11
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2021, 07:51:13 AM »
A realtor friend told me there seems to be a trend that many families are looking to move to Portola Springs so their kids can attend Portola high. Uni High principal is now the principal in Portola high and many seniors were accepted to highly ranked schools as well as Ivies this school year. The expectation is PHS is new but will eventually be the #1 ranked high school in Irvine.  The principal brought with him a team and the focus is more on tech. Long story short... if your kids are more tech inclined perhaps Portola or Uni high, if more liberal arts inclined, I would opt for NHS.

Offline theOCrealtor

• Thanks
  • -Given: 0
  • -Received: 0
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2021, 01:14:23 PM »
They're all top schools that will likely have little impact on whether students get accepted into college. I know teachers at Portola and NHS that I had as a student (I went to IHS) or worked with briefly as a teacher at NHS. They all collaborate together on the newest and best practices and I've never seen people so passionate about their work.  All I can say is that your children are blessed with the best.

Offline irvinehomeshopper

• Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 531
  • -Received: 988
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2021, 09:02:38 PM »
https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2021/04/09/3-santa-ana-high-school-seniors-headed-to-harvard-in-the-fall/

Save yourself a stack of cash. Harvard accepted three students from Santa Ana High School last year.  Ivies are now changing their admission strategy to seek many more “poster children” based on the new Forbes ranking criteria that placed Cal at the top. All ivies slipped in the 2021 new methodology ranking. The school to keep track of is OCHSA. My daughter never made the Ivy. I am still very proud of her for being financially and emotionally independent and living a happy life far from where she grew up.
"I can only imagine at a house warming party what a total embarrassment it would be to tell the guests that there is no tour because there is no more house to show you because you are standing in the only room in the house. "

Offline OCtoSV

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 66
  • -Received: 50
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2021, 08:01:07 AM »
Unless your child qualifies as a poster child (1st gen college is the golden ticket) focus on schools that take test scores into account. 4 years of athletics is a big plus if combined with a college prep schedule as well. Good private counselors are worth every penny. Have your 4.x/high test score kids prepare for UC wait lists as UC no longer counts test scores.

Offline fatduck

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 0
  • -Received: 24
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2021, 09:43:49 AM »
harvard is overrated anyway

• Thanks
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2021, 11:42:22 AM »
If your child has a potential for Ivies and that is great to have this inspiration to aim high within certain financial constraints. If you are thinking of buying a property in Irvine solely for the school district, let me forwarn you that your prodigy child, if not in the top three spots commensurate with stellar life experiences, wisdom, and future potential, there is no chance. The top colleges discriminate against applicants from Irvine by setting an unachievable standard. It is possible, but it will require sacrifices from the child and parents and likely future emotional resentments and repercussions. The competition among Irvine high school is fierce, and there is a ranking assigned on your child’s transcript. Stellar Irvine students, unfortunately, have a disadvantage. My daughter currently does volunteering interviewing for her college admission, and foremost, Irvine applicants based on her assessment rarely advance to the next round. This holistic approach is still a reality for all private colleges. The UC’s seem to be unbiased and focus on merits than personality, where most Irvine students stumble on. The metropolitan UC’s are excellent schools, and the education is up to par with the ivies if not better.
"I can only imagine at a house warming party what a total embarrassment it would be to tell the guests that there is no tour because there is no more house to show you because you are standing in the only room in the house. "

Offline zubs

• Thanks
  • -Given: 84
  • -Received: 510
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2021, 12:20:37 PM »
I guess you don't have many projects in Irvine anymore.
Glad you're still around.

The piano audition for OCSA is no joke.

• Thanks
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2021, 12:40:31 PM »
If you look hard, you will always find a few of my clever innovations in the Irvine market. Irvine is no longer my focus, and I have moved on and traded stop signs in front of my projects for signal lights. It's nice to see some old-timers here and especially the snarkiest ones.

Offline WTTCHMN

• Thanks
  • -Given: 15
  • -Received: 334
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2021, 01:08:47 PM »
The UC’s seem to be unbiased and focus on merits than personality, where most Irvine students stumble on.

Asians have no personality?  Now you sound like a Harvard admissions officer.  ;)

• Thanks
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2021, 03:32:50 PM »
Irvine Students= Asian Students. Noted!

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

Recent Posts

Re: Dow? by sleepy5136
[Today at 01:30:21 AM]

Re: Dow? by daedalus
[Yesterday at 11:35:24 PM]

Re: Renewable diesel (different from biodiesel) by daedalus
[Yesterday at 11:26:07 PM]

Re: Dow? by CalBears96