Inspection on new construction

CloudSurfer

Is it common to bring your own inspector to review the build once complete? We just bought in Great Park and we?re told given the number of city and other inspections along the way it wouldn?t be worthwhile. In addition, the builder (Pulte) said they?re unlikely to and very very rarely have changed anything based on a buyers inspection review. Just curious if this is normal for new construction around here, thanks!

I bought a new construction and they let me use an inspector. They did mention that it's new and that it's not needed, but I ignored their comment.

I advise all my clients to do an inspection prior to closing on new construction. A good idea is to also get another inspection prior to your 1 year warranty expiring so that you can give a laundry list of warranty claims to the builder.

We recently bought a new build in PS and hired a home inspector (Steve from Bilt Rite). I would highly recommend even if the builder tries to convince you otherwise. There are a lot of building code infractions that wouldn't be apparent to a layperson. And what I liked about Steve was that he documented every violation, however minor, with photos and building code citations in a pdf so you can decide what matters to you and then forward it to the builder.

Even if the builder ends up not fixing everything, it's good for peace of mind.

CloudSurfer said:
Is it common to bring your own inspector to review the build once complete? We just bought in Great Park and we?re told given the number of city and other inspections along the way it wouldn?t be worthwhile. In addition, the builder (Pulte) said they?re unlikely to and very very rarely have changed anything based on a buyers inspection review. Just curious if this is normal for new construction around here, thanks!

It's not that you'll ask them to change things, you'll ask them to fix items that the inspector had identified needing repairs.  Push back on the builder and do the home inspection.

LA2Irvine said:
We recently bought a new build in PS and hired a home inspector (Steve from Bilt Rite). I would highly recommend even if the builder tries to convince you otherwise. There are a lot of building code infractions that wouldn't be apparent to a layperson. And what I liked about Steve was that he documented every violation, however minor, with photos and building code citations in a pdf so you can decide what matters to you and then forward it to the builder.

Agreed! I used Steve also! The builder representative said that they hate seeing the documents come through from Steve because he's "so thorough". I had a great time working with him and he caught some things I wouldn't have thought of that the builder fixed at my 1 year warranty.

LA2Irvine said:

We purchased in PS as well, if you don?t mind me inquiring what we?re some of the items he noticed that you overlooked?

USCTrojanCPA said:
It's not that you'll ask them to change things, you'll ask them to fix items that the inspector had identified needing repairs.  Push back on the builder and do the home inspection.

Thank you all for the responses!

Is the builder allowed to refuse fixing things that need repair, based on my own inspection? And I'm curious at what stage I can bring an inspector. The builder said just before final walkthrough.

Appreciate everyone's time and advice!

CloudSurfer said:
USCTrojanCPA said:

Thank you all for the responses!

Is the builder allowed to refuse fixing things that need repair, based on my own inspection? And I'm curious at what stage I can bring an inspector. The builder said just before final walkthrough.

Appreciate everyone's time and advice!

Nope, the builders can't refuse to fix what is discovered by a licensed inspector (see the link below that summarizes CA law concerning new construction warranties).
https://www.esquirereb.com/californ...f Understanding New Construction Warranties.

Prototype said:
LA2Irvine said:
We recently bought a new build in PS and hired a home inspector (Steve from Bilt Rite).

Agreed! I used Steve also!

Thanks, is his name Steve Lottatore? I did a quick google search and found that name locally for Bill Rite. Any info you can share on approximate costs for a 1800 sq ft, 3 bedroom condo?

I utilized the services of Bill Rite in 2018 for new construction inspection.  He did a thorough inspection, except the roof at that time. He pointed out a lot of small details - one had to do with outside electrical box. If you paying close to 1M, i guess okay to pay 600-700$ for this inspection.
IP worked to address issues found. There were not many in my case.

I also used Steve few years back, he is good and very thorough.  If you call him and ask him to explain his services on the phone, make sure you have at least 30min to spare.

aquabliss said:
I also used Steve few years back, he is good and very thorough.  If you call him and ask him to explain his services on the phone, make sure you have at least 30min to spare.

He's definitely a talker.  haha

CloudSurfer said:
And I'm curious at what stage I can bring an inspector. The builder said just before final walkthrough.

I like to do it before the drywall is put in: the electrical and plumbing is already in so the inspector can check the bones of the house. After drywall there is no way to catch framing or plumbing issues.

USCTrojanCPA said:
aquabliss said:

Steve is great and has high attention to detail. Home builder only allowed him to inspect on day of walk-through, but I called him to book months in advance. Of course during the time before the walk-through, I went to the construction site many times and observed some issues. I called him about 3 times for various construction concerns, and he spent probably over 4 hours combined. All this months and weeks BEFORE I paid him!! For all Steve knew, I could have pulled out last minute and canceled the appt for inspection, and he still gave me the time. I got my money's worth way before his actual home inspection, and I told Steve that on the phone and I promised him I was committed to going through with the home inspection at the end in order to pay him!

Steve is an expert at what he does and he's a quality human being as well.

marmott said:
CloudSurfer said:
And I'm curious at what stage I can bring an inspector. The builder said just before final walkthrough.

I like to do it before the drywall is put in: the electrical and plumbing is already in so the inspector can check the bones of the house. After drywall there is no way to catch framing or plumbing issues.

i don't know if builder would allow a 3rd party inspector to come in before drywall is put in. They allow before final walk through.

CogNeuroSci said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
aquabliss said:

Steve is great and has high attention to detail. Home builder only allowed him to inspect on day of walk-through, but I called him to book months in advance. Of course during the time before the walk-through, I went to the construction site many times and observed some issues. I called him about 3 times for various construction concerns, and he spent probably over 4 hours combined. All this months and weeks BEFORE I paid him!! For all Steve knew, I could have pulled out last minute and canceled the appt for inspection, and he still gave me the time. I got my money's worth way before his actual home inspection, and I told Steve that on the phone and I promised him I was committed to going through with the home inspection at the end in order to pay him!

Steve is an expert at what he does and he's a quality human being as well.

He's the worst nightmare for builders and they know it.  haha

Irvinehomeseeker said:
marmott said:
CloudSurfer said:

I used Steve for both pre drywall and pre close on a new build with no issues. 

i don't know if builder would allow a 3rd party inspector to come in before drywall is put in. They allow before final walk through.

Different builders (or even the sales managers) might have different rules.  3 years ago I was able to have Steve to do both pre-drywall and final walkthrough inspection.

Prior to pre-drywall, the sales office requested Steve for the proof of insurance and some license info.  He also had to go in the office to sign some papers.

however, if possible, I highly recommend you do pre-drywall + final walkthrough with Steve.

Slevinkelevra said:
LA2Irvine said:

We purchased in PS as well, if you don?t mind me inquiring what we?re some of the items he noticed that you overlooked?

A few things that come to mind - Openings in the roof that should have been left unobstructed but had been partially covered by roofing material (Steve regularly goes into the attic for inspections). Certain extra fire sprinkler adapters that are required under fire code to be in the fire sprinkler box in the garage but were missing. Bannister and door frame that were probably rushed during installation so were crooked.

Back