IVA or Traditional School?

Irvinehomeseeker

With schools set to start next week in the backdrop of surging Delta virus , what are people on TI thinking about their elementary school age kids?
Anyone explored the IVA option for this year? Please share your thoughts.

If the case rates keep going up, IUSD may have to institute hybrid again.

It's not looking good based on examples from other school districts across the nation.

Aren?t we having worse numbers than when we used to have the lock down? Not that I want anther one, but why does it seem that it?s not going to happen anytime soon? Anyone finds that interesting?

Mety said:
Aren?t we having worse numbers than when we used to have the lock down? Not that I want anther one, but why does it seem that it?s not going to happen anytime soon? Anyone finds that interesting?

No one said anything about a lockdown. But maybe there should be one in North Texas. No icu beds available for kids.
https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/coronav...-north-texas-as-covid-19-cases-surge/2717300/
(according to local news in Dallas)

It breaks my heart when things happens to kids. Tbh: this could of been prevented with a mask mandate.

eyephone said:
Mety said:

No one said anything about a lockdown. But maybe there should be one in North Texas. No icu beds available for kids.
https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/coronav...-north-texas-as-covid-19-cases-surge/2717300/
(according to local news in Dallas)

It breaks my heart when things happens to kids. Tbh: this could of been prevented with a mask mandate.

I agree with you 100%. Just find it odd it?s less restricted although the numbers show worse now.

TUSD started this past Thursday. 

School still has a mask policy.  Students and teachers all appear to observe it seriously.

At pick up and drop off parents are 2/3rds masked, 1/3rd no masks, most are self-observing distancing.

Tustin?s covid dashboard is still up and last updated 8/2/21.

We survived hybrid in person last year, but that was 14 students per class.  Difference between online and in person was apparent enough for my child?s engagement and overall happiness that we determined as long as OC isn?t in meltdown, delta and variants remain between 1 in 1000 and 1 in 100 hospitalized for pediatric confirmed cases and schools maintain safety protocols, that we will practice our safety protocols and proceed with school.

IUSD will have class sizes in the low thirties and the teachers have been told to spread the desks as much as possible, which means they will try until they can?t.

It appears that most parents are opting the in person option. I am still wary about in person due to the risk. A small nunber of parents I know contacted school to switch to IVA this week.

We did IVA last year (for our 2nd grader). It was...not good. The teachers stuck to that awful Florida Virtual curriculum until about mid-winter, then finally switched over to the California common care workbooks (Journeys, GoMath, etc). They didn't really hit their stride until the Spring.

I felt too guilty to keep my daughter home another year, so reluctantly, even with Delta surging, we opted for in-person. However, with Irvine schools at nearly full capacity, they aren't even attempting any distancing. I'm very worried. My daughter said the kids are squeezed in tight at the lunch tables. They are outside but of course masks are off. I am hoping for the best, but this is definitely an experiment. We will what happens.

winterblues said:
We did IVA last year (for our 2nd grader). It was...not good. The teachers stuck to that awful Florida Virtual curriculum until about mid-winter, then finally switched over to the California common care workbooks (Journeys, GoMath, etc). They didn't really hit their stride until the Spring.

I felt too guilty to keep my daughter home another year, so reluctantly, even with Delta surging, we opted for in-person. However, with Irvine schools at nearly full capacity, they aren't even attempting any distancing. I'm very worried. My daughter said the kids are squeezed in tight at the lunch tables. They are outside but of course masks are off. I am hoping for the best, but this is definitely an experiment. We will what happens.

Same concerns and experience here. Hopefully it will be all good.

Yep... for any parents with kids back in school... it's pretty packed.

Masks are mandated for indoors only so you should tell your kids to distance or mask up outside.

Pasadena school district already reported 47 cases after a week of being in class... so keep an eye on the dashboards.

irvinehomeowner said:

Masks are mandated for indoors only so you should tell your kids to distance or mask up outside.

Pasadena school district already reported 47 cases after a week of being in class... so keep an eye on the dashboards.

I saw on the news: lausd are requiring all students and staff to get tested once a week.

eyephone said:
irvinehomeowner said:

I saw on the news: lausd are requiring all students and staff to get tested once a week.

right...IUSD is not testing. I guess due to the low number of cases here.

Irvinehomeseeker said:
eyephone said:
irvinehomeowner said:

I can imagine the cost will be high for the weekly testing. (But the anxiety and stress level should be lower)

eyephone said:
Irvinehomeseeker said:
eyephone said:
irvinehomeowner said:

I can imagine the cost will be high for the weekly testing. (But the anxiety and stress level should be lower)

Quite the opposite I suspect.  I can already envision the flood of low exposure letters and other exposure letters.

The funds for testing have already been provided by the state, but the individual districts decide if they wish to test or not. Unfortunately, it might create more problems by choosing to test when cases are identified.

First two days in class were very full, but the kids were mellow. Not enough time to eat the lunches as the kids have to be moved quickly from the tables to create space for the next students.

They need to move to IVA soon otherwise the longer kids stay in school more people will wake up and see the truth.

akula1488 said:
They need to move to IVA soon otherwise the longer kids stay in school more people will wake up and see the truth.

I am kinda torn between IVA and traditional school for my 5th grader. IVA is a the way to go if safety is paramount, but this  would mean almost 3rd year in row doing remote learning and kids will miss on aspects of overall development that they only get in a regular school setting. Educational stuff - kids can learn online or thru parents/tutors but the social interaction and how they learn from peers, all that how do we substitute in a remote setting.

Its a hard decision for a parent to make. I am hoping that i can finally make my mind to switch to IVA or not by early next week. Right now IUSD has paused immediate transfers to IVA to minimize class changes.

Well, this isn't good. LA Times reporting that an entire elementary school class in Hollywood is in quarantine due to an outbreak (7 children in one class infected).
https://www.latimes.com/california/...d-first-coronavirus-outbreak-grant-elementary

Los Angeles school officials on Wednesday confirmed the first coronavirus outbreak in the district at Grant Elementary School in Hollywood, sending home an entire classroom of children.

?The cases are concentrated in a single classroom and Los Angeles Unified is fully cooperating with the Department of Public Health,? the district said in a statement. ?The district has alerted all those potentially impacted and the quarantined class has been provided with instructional materials to continue their studies.?

An outbreak is defined as three or more cases over 14 days that are likely linked to one another. Wednesday was the eighth day of classes in the nation?s second-largest school system. Up through Tuesday afternoon, the district had reported no cases linked to spread at a school setting since the start of the academic year.

At 10 p.m. Tuesday, the district updated its online dashboard ? which reports school-based infections ? to record the seven linked cases at Grant. L.A. Unified is conducting the most ambitious school-based coronavirus testing program in the nation, with mandatory testing for all on campus once a week. Officials say this is leading to early detection of cases and allows for quicker action to contain the spread of the virus.

Back