Author Topic: IVA or Traditional School?  (Read 3366 times)

Offline Irvinehomeseeker

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 118
  • -Received: 63
IVA or Traditional School?
« on: August 13, 2021, 11:28:54 PM »
With schools set to start next week in the backdrop of surging Delta virus , what are people on TI thinking about their elementary school age kids?
Anyone explored the IVA option for this year? Please share your thoughts.

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2785
  • -Received: 4108
  • 3CWG
Re: IVA or Traditional School?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2021, 10:35:52 AM »
If the case rates keep going up, IUSD may have to institute hybrid again.

It's not looking good based on examples from other school districts across the nation.
Once you go 3-car garage... your junk can never go back.
3CWG: 3-Car Wide Garage
FCB: Foreign Cash Buyer
I recommend:
www.irvinerealtorsite.com
member: Soylent Green Is People (loans/refis)

Offline Mety

• Thanks
  • -Given: 229
  • -Received: 285
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2021, 11:56:14 AM »
Aren’t we having worse numbers than when we used to have the lock down? Not that I want anther one, but why does it seem that it’s not going to happen anytime soon? Anyone finds that interesting?

The following member(s) thanked this post:

Offline eyephone

• Thanks
  • -Given: 505
  • -Received: 789
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2021, 12:16:40 PM »
Aren’t we having worse numbers than when we used to have the lock down? Not that I want anther one, but why does it seem that it’s not going to happen anytime soon? Anyone finds that interesting?

No one said anything about a lockdown. But maybe there should be one in North Texas. No icu beds available for kids.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/coronavirus/no-pediatric-icu-beds-available-in-north-texas-as-covid-19-cases-surge/2717300/
(according to local news in Dallas)

It breaks my heart when things happens to kids. Tbh: this could of been prevented with a mask mandate.

Offline Mety

• Thanks
  • -Given: 229
  • -Received: 285
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2021, 01:06:00 PM »

No one said anything about a lockdown. But maybe there should be one in North Texas. No icu beds available for kids.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/coronavirus/no-pediatric-icu-beds-available-in-north-texas-as-covid-19-cases-surge/2717300/
(according to local news in Dallas)

It breaks my heart when things happens to kids. Tbh: this could of been prevented with a mask mandate.

I agree with you 100%. Just find it odd it’s less restricted although the numbers show worse now.

Offline nosuchreality

• Thanks
  • -Given: 157
  • -Received: 583
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2021, 04:44:23 PM »
TUSD started this past Thursday. 

School still has a mask policy.  Students and teachers all appear to observe it seriously.

At pick up and drop off parents are 2/3rds masked, 1/3rd no masks, most are self-observing distancing.

Tustin’s covid dashboard is still up and last updated 8/2/21.

We survived hybrid in person last year, but that was 14 students per class.  Difference between online and in person was apparent enough for my child’s engagement and overall happiness that we determined as long as OC isn’t in meltdown, delta and variants remain between 1 in 1000 and 1 in 100 hospitalized for pediatric confirmed cases and schools maintain safety protocols, that we will practice our safety protocols and proceed with school.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2021, 04:50:44 PM by nosuchreality »

Offline Kangen.Irvine

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 107
  • -Received: 41
    • Change Your Water, Change Your Life!
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2021, 06:54:50 PM »
IUSD will have class sizes in the low thirties and the teachers have been told to spread the desks as much as possible, which means they will try until they can’t.

Offline Irvinehomeseeker

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2021, 11:00:08 PM »
It appears that most parents are opting the in person option. I am still wary about in person due to the risk. A small nunber of parents I know contacted school to switch to IVA this week.

Offline winterblues

• Tourist
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 22
  • -Received: 14
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2021, 11:59:13 AM »
We did IVA last year (for our 2nd grader). It was...not good. The teachers stuck to that awful Florida Virtual curriculum until about mid-winter, then finally switched over to the California common care workbooks (Journeys, GoMath, etc). They didn't really hit their stride until the Spring.

I felt too guilty to keep my daughter home another year, so reluctantly, even with Delta surging, we opted for in-person. However, with Irvine schools at nearly full capacity, they aren't even attempting any distancing. I'm very worried. My daughter said the kids are squeezed in tight at the lunch tables. They are outside but of course masks are off. I am hoping for the best, but this is definitely an experiment. We will what happens.

Offline Irvinehomeseeker

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2021, 12:52:57 PM »
We did IVA last year (for our 2nd grader). It was...not good. The teachers stuck to that awful Florida Virtual curriculum until about mid-winter, then finally switched over to the California common care workbooks (Journeys, GoMath, etc). They didn't really hit their stride until the Spring.

I felt too guilty to keep my daughter home another year, so reluctantly, even with Delta surging, we opted for in-person. However, with Irvine schools at nearly full capacity, they aren't even attempting any distancing. I'm very worried. My daughter said the kids are squeezed in tight at the lunch tables. They are outside but of course masks are off. I am hoping for the best, but this is definitely an experiment. We will what happens.

Same concerns and experience here. Hopefully it will be all good.

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2785
  • -Received: 4108
  • 3CWG
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2021, 04:15:07 PM »
Yep... for any parents with kids back in school... it's pretty packed.

Masks are mandated for indoors only so you should tell your kids to distance or mask up outside.

Pasadena school district already reported 47 cases after a week of being in class... so keep an eye on the dashboards.
Once you go 3-car garage... your junk can never go back.
3CWG: 3-Car Wide Garage
FCB: Foreign Cash Buyer
I recommend:
www.irvinerealtorsite.com
member: Soylent Green Is People (loans/refis)

Offline eyephone

• Thanks
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2021, 05:10:51 PM »

Masks are mandated for indoors only so you should tell your kids to distance or mask up outside.

Pasadena school district already reported 47 cases after a week of being in class... so keep an eye on the dashboards.

I saw on the news: lausd are requiring all students and staff to get tested once a week.

Offline Irvinehomeseeker

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2021, 05:28:51 PM »

I saw on the news: lausd are requiring all students and staff to get tested once a week.

right...IUSD is not testing. I guess due to the low number of cases here.

Offline eyephone

• Thanks
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2021, 06:14:58 PM »

I can imagine the cost will be high for the weekly testing. (But the anxiety and stress level should be lower)

Offline nosuchreality

• Thanks
  • -Given: 157
  • -Received: 583
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2021, 06:35:45 PM »

I can imagine the cost will be high for the weekly testing. (But the anxiety and stress level should be lower)

Quite the opposite I suspect.  I can already envision the flood of low exposure letters and other exposure letters.

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal