Great Park News

eyephone

Voice of OC News:

After years of complaints from Great Park residents that special property taxes on their homes is taxation without representation, the Irvine City Council is set to discuss giving some control of that money back to homeowners.

A Voice of OC investigation last year found that while homeowners near the Great Park pay millions in additional property taxes that go toward developing the park, they have almost no say on where any of their money goes.

While much of that funding has gone toward the park?s infrastructure, the money can be spent on a wide variety of projects based on a list approved by the city and FivePoint Holdings, the city?s partner in developing the park.

As an example, the City Council approved a $250 million aquatics center that would be the new home of USA Water Polo, with open questions on what access the public would have to the center. The Olympic team?s contribution to the center is estimated at about $10 million, while the rest will be built using special tax funds.
https://voiceofoc.org/2021/08/irvin...sidents-control-over-their-special-taxes/?amp

It seems kind of unfair.

Voice of OC news: Irvine Residents Rail Against Great Park Special Tax While City Council Changes Park Name

Irvine residents living near the Great Park are still furious about the special taxes they pay to fund the park stemming from agreements between the city and a developer.

While the City Council members couldn?t take any concrete action on the park?s financing at their Tuesday meeting, they did change the name.

The change will drop ?Orange County,? from the park?s name at a cost of $360,000 to taxpayers, which public commenters almost unanimously opposed, saying it was unnecessary.

Despite those complaints, the council voted 4-1 to approve the project, with Councilman Larry Agran serving as the sole no vote.
https://voiceofoc.org/2021/07/irvin...tax-while-city-council-changes-park-name/?amp

$360k to change the great park name (Sheesh!)

eyephone said:
Voice of OC News:

After years of complaints from Great Park residents that special property taxes on their homes is taxation without representation, the Irvine City Council is set to discuss giving some control of that money back to homeowners.

A Voice of OC investigation last year found that while homeowners near the Great Park pay millions in additional property taxes that go toward developing the park, they have almost no say on where any of their money goes.

While much of that funding has gone toward the park?s infrastructure, the money can be spent on a wide variety of projects based on a list approved by the city and FivePoint Holdings, the city?s partner in developing the park.

As an example, the City Council approved a $250 million aquatics center that would be the new home of USA Water Polo, with open questions on what access the public would have to the center. The Olympic team?s contribution to the center is estimated at about $10 million, while the rest will be built using special tax funds.
https://voiceofoc.org/2021/08/irvin...sidents-control-over-their-special-taxes/?amp

It seems kind of unfair.

Actively avoiding that area which made the already bad house buying situation even worse. It's unfair but they knew what they signed up for when they buy the house there didn't they? 

eyephone said:
Voice of OC news: Irvine Residents Rail Against Great Park Special Tax While City Council Changes Park Name

Irvine residents living near the Great Park are still furious about the special taxes they pay to fund the park stemming from agreements between the city and a developer.

While the City Council members couldn?t take any concrete action on the park?s financing at their Tuesday meeting, they did change the name.

The change will drop ?Orange County,? from the park?s name at a cost of $360,000 to taxpayers, which public commenters almost unanimously opposed, saying it was unnecessary.

Despite those complaints, the council voted 4-1 to approve the project, with Councilman Larry Agran serving as the sole no vote.
https://voiceofoc.org/2021/07/irvin...tax-while-city-council-changes-park-name/?amp

$360k to change the great park name (Sheesh!)

That's cheaper than any condwich in Irvine.

Voice of OC news: Irvine Great Park Homeowners Are Paying for Largest Municipal Park in OC History: Now They Want A Voice (April 12, 2021 article)

Even some council members are now starting to ask their own questions.

?It appears that our residents in Great Park Neighborhoods were not aware of what they signed up for,? said Irvine City Councilman Mike Carroll. ?I?ve got a four-year term, and we?re going to be looking at this. There are definitely big issues out there at the Great Park and the way in which these improvements are financed that need to be looked at.?

The issue of homeowner oversight could be coming to a vote soon, after Councilman Larry Agran announced last month he spoke with members of the Great Park Resident Association.

Agran has publicly announced he will ask his council colleagues for a discussion on making an advisory committee for homeowners.

Mayor Farrah Khan said she?d need more info on the idea for an advisory committee, but that she?d spoken with residents near the park over the past year and done her best to connect them with city resources, encouraging them to comment at the council?s meetings.

Councilwoman Tammy Kim said she fully supported a body of residents advising on the park, but pointed out they would only have control over the property owned by the city.

?Having a Great Park community commission or committee, in whatever form or fashion it might be, I?d always encourage that,? Kim said. ?Great Park residents want a say on how the future of the Great Park goes but then a lot of the land is not owned by the city. That?s been kind of a dilemma.?

Carroll said he was completely open to a discussion on the issue, and the residents deserved a transparent explanation of how the taxes work and why they were put in place.

Councilman Anthony Kuo did not return requests for comment.
https://voiceofoc.org/2021/04/irvin...park-in-oc-history-now-they-want-a-voice/?amp

So are they going to start charging less MR?

If they cut their MR in 1/3 of what they charge now with no 2% yearly increase, I might consider buying there.

eyephone said:
Voice of OC news: Irvine Great Park Homeowners Are Paying for Largest Municipal Park in OC History: Now They Want A Voice (April 12, 2021 article)

Even some council members are now starting to ask their own questions.

?It appears that our residents in Great Park Neighborhoods were not aware of what they signed up for,? said Irvine City Councilman Mike Carroll. ?I?ve got a four-year term, and we?re going to be looking at this. There are definitely big issues out there at the Great Park and the way in which these improvements are financed that need to be looked at.?

The issue of homeowner oversight could be coming to a vote soon, after Councilman Larry Agran announced last month he spoke with members of the Great Park Resident Association.

Agran has publicly announced he will ask his council colleagues for a discussion on making an advisory committee for homeowners.

Mayor Farrah Khan said she?d need more info on the idea for an advisory committee, but that she?d spoken with residents near the park over the past year and done her best to connect them with city resources, encouraging them to comment at the council?s meetings.

Councilwoman Tammy Kim said she fully supported a body of residents advising on the park, but pointed out they would only have control over the property owned by the city.

?Having a Great Park community commission or committee, in whatever form or fashion it might be, I?d always encourage that,? Kim said. ?Great Park residents want a say on how the future of the Great Park goes but then a lot of the land is not owned by the city. That?s been kind of a dilemma.?

Carroll said he was completely open to a discussion on the issue, and the residents deserved a transparent explanation of how the taxes work and why they were put in place.

Councilman Anthony Kuo did not return requests for comment.
https://voiceofoc.org/2021/04/irvin...park-in-oc-history-now-they-want-a-voice/?amp

Unless the info was not publicly available, claiming they are unaware is like telling popo you didn't know you were speeding. Doesn't change the fact you signed up to those rules when you bought the house. 
https://www.ocgrandjury.org/pdfs/2014_2015_GJreport/Great_Park_Website.pdf

I am just reposting an article regarding the great park and relaying the info to talk irvine.
I do have to say changing the name of great park for $360k is kind of pricey.

eyephone said:
I am just reposting an article regarding the great park and relaying the info to talk irvine.

While I do think GP's MR is one of the biggest scams in Irvine, $360k for renaming the park doesn't seem that pricey to me. It's only someone's yearly salary in Irvine.

Let's say 3 people work on this project of renaming it for a year. Each gets $100k and they need to manage removing/replacing all signs, structures, business cards, flyers, etc. hiring third party vendors and so on. $300k spent. But you actually need to make a profit. So that extra $60k will cover that. It makes sense to me to spend $360k for renaming it. Just speaking strictly on the business perspective.

Mety said:
eyephone said:

While I do think GP's MR is one of the biggest scams in Irvine, $360k for renaming the park doesn't seem that pricey to me. It's only someone's yearly salary in Irvine.

Let's say 3 people work on this project of renaming it for a year. Each gets $100k and they need to manage removing/replacing all signs, structures, business cards, flyers, etc. hiring third party vendors and so on. $300k spent. But you actually need to make a profit. So that extra $60k will cover that. It makes sense to me to spend $360k for renaming it. Just speaking strictly on the business perspective.

Changing a name for $360k is ridiculous.

eyephone said:
Mety said:
eyephone said:

Changing a name for $360k is ridiculous.

I agree. I mean why even change at all? But that's how much it'll actually cost if you want to make it happen.

Cares said:
eyephone said:
https://www.ocbj.com/news/2021/aug/23/breaking-emile-haddad-step-down-fivepoint-ceo/

I hope this was not because of my posts about great park and my other posts.

He wants to spend time with family, duh.

We just didnt see eye to eye. The company was for Measure B which I was against and I was not a fan regarding the handling of the great park. 
https://voiceofoc.org/2018/04/leadi...waited-southern-california-veterans-cemetery/

The constant blogging from talkirvine and nextdoor probably didnt help. No free pass in Irvine.  ;)

Back