beach house - Naples

zubs

Over the weekend, I was in Long Beach, and noticed this open house.
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Long-Beach/5433-E-The-Toledo-90803/home/7593434
so i went inside.

Like many, I think living near the beach would be great as the weather is only 75 degrees when the rest of the county is 85.
I wonder if purple font would give us some of his insights into this area.

I noticed that the Long Beach area is much cheaper than other beach areas. 
I noticed the flood risk is a 7 out of 10 due to climate change.
Perhaps spending so much money and then enduring floods in the future is a bad idea.

It's also about 0.5 miles from the border of seal beach, so I'll consider it OC.

A good friend from college grew up in Naples, and was unfortunately murdered there after college one night fighting off 2 kids that tried to mug him for his bike as he was riding home from the bars to his parents house - one pulled out a gun and shot him. I remember going with him to the Naples Xmas parade when we were in college back in the 80s. Such a cool place to live but just know you're close to many major gang areas in the LBC.

OCtoSV said:
A good friend from college grew up in Naples, and was unfortunately murdered there after college one night fighting off 2 kids that tried to mug him for his bike as he was riding home from the bars to his parents house - one pulled out a gun and shot him. I remember going with him to the Naples Xmas parade when we were in college back in the 80s. Such a cool place to live but just know you're close to many major gang areas in the LBC.

Naples is nowhere near the gang ridden parts of LB. Not sure how it was on 2nd Street in the 80s (I'm guessing this is where he was heading back from) , but that area is like the Newport Peninsula. Any area with people out late at night or bar hopping is going to have some unsavory characters.

Sorry about your friend though, that's unfortunate. May he RIP.

But it's still Long Beach, not Newport, where I vividly recall many years ago being pulled over in a car with a couple girls on Balboa Blvd at night for going 26 in a 25.... This guy was the only LBer I knew who went to public school (Wilson) - the rest I knew went to Brethren, Chadwick, Loyola etc., just like wealthy families in Pasadena all send their kids to the privates. One of the most prominent LB/Naples families too. So sad.

This house is like a 10 min walk from the 2nd street bars.
There is a price to pay when you live near fun areas, or when you do fun stuff.
A positive correlation between fun and risk.

I very much like this house and location.

One of my good friends has lived in Belmont Shores right around 2nd street and loved it but they bought a larger home in Laguna Beach and once they finish renovating the Laguna Beach home they'll move into it and sell their Belmont Shores home.

Everyone I know....as they get richer, drift toward the coast.
The movement goes something like this.

Hemet -> Ontario -> Yorba Linda -> Irvine -> Corona Del Mar

The other day I talked to my neighbor who said he was thinking of selling his house to buy a place in CDM.
In your case, your good friend moved from a cheaper beach area to a more expensive beach area.

We are just lemmings shuffling towards the water.

zubs said:
Everyone I know....as they get richer, drift toward the coast.
The movement goes something like this.

Hemet -> Ontario -> Yorba Linda -> Irvine -> Corona Del Mar

The other day I talked to my neighbor who said he was thinking of selling his house to buy a place in CDM.
In your case, your good friend moved from a cheaper beach area to a more expensive beach area.

We are just lemmings shuffling towards the water.

His home is 2bd/1bath and around 1,000sf and fully renovated as of a few years ago with a direct access 2-car garage.  Yeah, him and his wife bought a 2,500sf home in Laguna Beach a few months ago.  If you want to get more info on the home just ping me as he'll have me sell it as he used his aunt to buy the Laguna Beach home.  I'm also considering looking at homes in Newport Beach, Newport Coast, and Corona Del Mar if I can't find my unicorn in Irvine.

I am originally a South Bay kid and have always lived at the beach.  We lived on the Peninsula here for a few years and except for a 4 year stint in Irvine (hence my IHB pedigree) we moved back to Naples island in 2007.  Shhhhhh, I like our little coastal secret. People always look at you funny when you declare your from the LBC but that?s bc they don?t understand east v west Long Beach.  We live on the water and paid a fraction of Lido or Newport or Huntington harbor. The neighborhood is for all intents and purposes alike. The town is without a doubt edgier but I like the diversity. The island is neighborly and my idea of old school, every house is different and there is true beach character. It is Our forever home.

I used to go out on the water at Naples every Saturday and Sunday. It is night and day compared to west LB. I would love to own a home on Naples or even in the general Belmont Shores area. Great location to be in.

I love living here and actually drive a cart every day to my office on the water. I could take our whaler but 6AM into a wet boat in a suit is just not as fun as it may sound. The schools are a challenge but my kids all went to private school. Weekends and boat life are a blessing.

Naples elementary is a 10/10.
Other than that..the house i copy pasted on the first post is awesome.
What do u think about it?

Naples elementary only goes to 6th, then its off to Rodgers then Wilson or Miliken. Decent sports schools but not academically strong. Catholic and Christian schools are good alternatives.

USCTrojanCPA said:
morekaos said:
I know that house. Nice side of the island but for that price I would want to touch water. Be patient and you could find it.

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Long-Beach/103-Rivo-Alto-Canal-90803/home/7592659?from_mobile_app=true

If only it had a 3-car garage...sigh.

Funny thing SC there is a local ordinances that all homes have to have at least 2 garage spaces in order to ease street parking.  Mine are converted to a man cave and storage but they are there. ;D >:D

Maybe that place is nice area. But Long beach is not a safe city. Crime rate is high.
Live there and shop in the oc? (Is that the solution?) haha

eyephone said:
Maybe that place is nice area. But Long beach is not a safe city. Crime rate is high.
Live there and shop in the oc? (Is that the solution?) haha

That's what we do. 1% less in sales tax just over the bridge.  We go to Costco, fill gas and buy groceries in the OC.

morekaos said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
morekaos said:
I know that house. Nice side of the island but for that price I would want to touch water. Be patient and you could find it.

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Long-Beach/103-Rivo-Alto-Canal-90803/home/7592659?from_mobile_app=true

If only it had a 3-car garage...sigh.

Funny thing SC there is a local ordinances that all homes have to have at least 2 garage spaces in order to ease street parking.  Mine are converted to a man cave and storage but they are there. ;D >:D

I like the new outdoor mall @ Seal Beach with the wholefoods market in the parking garage.
Regarding this house.  I'm guessing you prefer this one to the one in the first post because of the boat dock.

The boat dock should be regarded as the "3rd" garage. 

Back