Apple to scan iphones

Privacy is a myth no matter what they say.  In order to test the legalities, you'd have to dig deep into either the camera, screen, storage, video formatting, viewer or a host of other media subroutines that may have terms of service to find out the legality of all this.

Anyone who took a picture of their baby taking their first bath is likely going to on a list at some point in time.

My .02c

I think they've been already scanning our phones. Why do you think they update so often? ;)

I actually don't care if they do or not. But the problem is this whole mindset of controlling people under their authority, eventually would become the one ultimate power. Sounds familiar?

Apple has good intentions but it opens a huge backdoor for abuse. I can see China requiring a similar algorithm looking for anti-communist images or texts.

Your photo libraries will be safe if you have iCloud Photos turned OFF. The technology is not directly scanning images but instead comparing known CSAM images and seeing if they match those being uploaded to iCloud. It does this comparison on your device with AI and a local encrypted database. If you exceed some threshold, your iCloud images will be get flagged for human review. If the review finds you have CSAM images, your account will be shut down and will be referred to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC).

This article gives a good overview of the new safety features for iOS15:https://www.macrumors.com/2021/08/05/apple-new-child-safety-features/

If you apply for a Chinese travel visa, will the ccp scour your internet presence for anti ccp writings to deny you entry?

Guarantee they already do. China (and the US for that matter) maintain huge databases on everyone. If you are a prominent activist for Amnesty International or some evangelical church, you will likely be flagged and denied entry.

I'm fairly certain that somewhere out there, government intelligence agency workers tasked to perform surveillance on cell phone data are in fact spending hours gawking at nude selfies.

Back