demo old tiles vs putting new hard flooring on top of it?

The Motor Court Company

Hi experienced TI folks,
for replacing carpet + tile in the first floor with hard flooring, would you do the following?

remove carpet, add some concrete in the area to level it off with tile area, then put the same hard flooring material over the old tiles

I am concerned about having two different sub floor materials, and maybe an issue down the line if I need to upgrade the flooring. Also psychologically it feels like I am losing a little bit of "volume" as the floor is a little thicker.

The California Court Company said:
Hi experienced TI folks,
for replacing carpet + tile in the first floor with hard flooring, would you do the following?

remove carpet, add some concrete in the area to level it off with tile area, then put the same hard flooring material over the old tiles

I am concerned about having two different sub floor materials, and maybe an issue down the line if I need to upgrade the flooring. Also psychologically it feels like I am losing a little bit of "volume" as the floor is a little thicker.

Demo the tiles and then put your new flooring down.

Demo the tile is cheaper than add more concrete.

I?m not concerned about the different material under the new hardwood, I more concerned about the added floor height might affect the space for the fridge, dishwasher, which might not fit if the floor is raised.  Also need to check various doors in the affected area to see if there?s enough room at bottom of door for raised floor height. 

Back