Florida Building Collapse

Pretty amazing story all around. There will be a terrific loss of life here what with so many missing. Seems like from the reports the property was a problem since the 1990's and years of deferred maintenance contributed to the structural failure.

My .02c

I honestly suspect something took out a couple columns in the parking garage under the center edge. When you see the video of the collapse, you see the split second sag of what would be two columns wide then it goes pulls everything down like a demo when they kick the ground floor supports out.

Intentional bombing/sabotage?  Maybe. But nobody claiming and let's face it, any intentional thing they'd be claiming.  Columns corroded out so just the fa?ade is supporting?  Maybe.  Sinkhole?  Have to snap the slab and I doubt the drop would be that concentric looking.  Around here the columns in the garage are massive, the columns remaining in the photos look more substantially smaller.  The remaining tower only has three across the short side, what happens if the middle one gets taken out?

The pedestrian bridge that collapse in DC was 65 years old and had been struck by a truck.  The Florida U bridge collapse within days of being built due to design error.

If you were to buy an apartment in a high rise, I would hope you can check to see if there were any warnings from engineers regarding your new investment.

nosuchreality said:
Sadly, I suppose this is actually good news.

Engineer reports building had major structural damage in 2018.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...09519a-d5de-11eb-a53a-3b5450fdca7a_story.html

Lawsuits are going to fly but who they going to sue?  The condo owners are the association and board.

159 missing & 4 are confirmed dead.

Imagine how much more coverage this would get if it were the result of a terror attack instead of the government failing to regulate.

The conflation of all government regulations with ?red tape? is an insane tendency that needs to be reversed.

Imagine how many apartment buildings in LA would collapse in an earthquake without the tight building codes.

Now imagine how tight the building codes are in Florida where the air is salty, the land subsides, and there are hurricanes.

I remember when I was house hunting in 2014 and almost bought a home at Baker Ranch.  I looked on Google Maps and the lot I almost put the deposit on looked like it had a huge sinkhole right in the middle of the property.  Google maps satellite view hadn?t been updated after they graded the land.  No way I was going to buy that property after seeing that. 

Do we have a big lie guy?

akula1488 said:
I am surprised no one has blamed this on Trump or white privilege yet.

morekaos said:
3?2?1? climate change!! ;D ;D >:D

Biden's Energy Secretary Jennifer Granholm suggests climate change could have caused the Miami condo collapse and researchers say the sea level in the area has risen EIGHT INCHES in 40 years
[url]https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9738871/Energy-Secretary-Jennifer-Granholm-suggests-climate-change-caused-Miami-condo-collapse.html
[/url]

Back