Author Topic: Question for parents with kids on the autism spectrum  (Read 407 times)

Offline socal007

• Thanks
  • -Given: 0
  • -Received: 0
Question for parents with kids on the autism spectrum
« on: June 19, 2021, 10:22:29 AM »
Hi everyone,

Our little guy who will turn 4 soon is on the spectrum. We had early intervention started when he was 2 years and he made amazing progress. Currently we are zoned to Tustin Unified and based on our research so far looks like IUSD has better Special ed and support for kids with special needs. We made the decision to find a home in Irvine in a year and were curious if there are parents here who can provide a perspective on IUSD with regards to Special Ed. Are there any specific elementary schools you think we should look at?

Thank you so much!

Offline lnc

• Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 569
  • -Received: 1063
Re: Question for parents with kids on the autism spectrum
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2021, 01:27:22 PM »
IUSD indeed has very good special ed program. 

I'm not too familiar with the IUSD's special ed in the kindergarten nor the elementary school but I do know that most of the schools have some level of special ed program and it really depends on the child's condition.  High function students usual stay at their home school with mild modified curriculum, students with severe condition are placed in a specific school that has the appropriate special program.

You really need to find out from IUSD to get an idea where they are going to place your kid since it depends on your kid's condition and where you live etc.

Also some school might be full and they will need to place your kid in another school. 

https://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/topic,14378.msg289631.html#msg289631

Offline socal007

• Thanks
  • -Given: 0
  • -Received: 0
Re: Question for parents with kids on the autism spectrum
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2021, 03:07:24 PM »
Thank you so much for your response and the link. I really appreciate it!!! We are hoping to make the move soon and get his assessment done before he starts T-K.

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal