• Mandatory in-office

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • Quitting or looking because of in-office

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Other

Votes: 3 9.7%

• Total voters

irvinehomeowner

So I heard on the radio that recently quite a few people are quitting because of several reason, one of them requiring being back in office and many are looking for remote jobs because they prefer it.

What are you doing?

Some of us can do hybrid but there are certain groups of workers who have to return to office and they don't like it. We've had a few people resign because they want to stay remote.

There seems to be a quite a few open jobs out there... even remote... are you still remote, prefer back in-office or really don't mind either way?

Still remote for now, I have yet to put a foot in my new company's offices but down the line it will be hybrid (3 days in the office, 2 at home). No ETA for a return in the office.

Not sure how flexible they will be around the hybrid work model but only very few people will be allowed to go fully remote. It looks like it's the trend in bigger tech companies and a lot of people are getting caught by surprise.

My co was pretty flexible to begin with.  I have a coworker who was working remote from Seattle since before the pandemic.  I have another who will be moving to AZ in July.  I haven't looked into it, but I assume they're able to avoid paying CA taxes.  I am both on site and remote, depending on the phase of the project.  I like the change of pace.  Working at a desk gets boring.  Being on my feet all day gets tiring.  Otherwise, I guess I could move back home and live with my parents.  Good school district there for the little one.  We could do pretty well doing that and renting our houses out, even if my wife decided to not get a job there.

We went from no remote work prior to COVID to full remote during COVID.

Briefly went back to hybrid at the beginning of this year, but it was not very well liked by most.

One person on my team quit because of this.

Now full remote option is back on.

I still need to show up in person for an in person meeting about once a month. But other than that, it's full remote.

We have still not gone back. We will likely do a 3-2 split with 3 being at home but I?m guessing since our team has executed very well while working remote we will have a lot of flexibility on when we come in. I?m pretty certain if I wanted to do full remote I could get that done but it would probably be somewhat of a career limiting move to go full remote.

We've been fully remote unless it was necessary to come in (~20% of the workforce) and are reopening fully in September. The company is allowing various degrees of remote work (2 days a week, fully remote but in SoCal, fully remote but still in the US - salary may be adjusted in future). We will see what the adoption is. I'd like to be fully remote and come in as needed.

If your job can be done remotely, what are the chances your company may find someone in China or India to  do it? Cheaper labor cost.

Fully remote does open up that possibility though my particular company is government related and currently even their most flexible policy regarding remote work requires us to reside in the US. We do have many long-term contractors, some of which work from home in Canada.

NotAnEarlyBird said:
If your job can be done remotely, what are the chances your company may find someone in China or India to  do it? Cheaper labor cost.

Just because you go to work, does not mean your working efficiently.

freedomcm said:
never stopped going in.

tired of the whiners, including both the tech bros and teachers, complaining.

That?s cute but most of the people don?t get to decide, at least in large companies  ;D

Just got notified that we are moving to a new phase with 30% of staff allowed on site by end of June, you don?t get to choose just yet as the more hands on position take priority.

eyephone said:
NotAnEarlyBird said:

Just because you go to work, does not mean your working efficiently.

For the people who are not working efficiently and good quality work. Maybe they should not be with the company. (just saying)

marmott said:
freedomcm said:
never stopped going in.

tired of the whiners, including both the tech bros and teachers, complaining.

That?s cute but most of the people don?t get to decide, at least in large companies  ;D

Sure, but people do get to decide ultimately.

Not trying to nitpick, but people are invoking their ultimate choice by quitting as IHO pointed out in his original post / question.

And I get people's frustration with the teachers union in particular.

In NYC, the teachers received priority in getting vaccinated, but were the last hold outs on returning to in person teaching. Studies have shown that remote learning is 30%-70% less effective in content based learning. Parents are rightfully outraged.

Not sure if it's the same here in OC since my daughter is too young to go to school yet.

akula1488 said:
Personally I like to be in office for the free coffee and the view. The drive to work is also scenic.

I respect your feedback. Free coffee? Been there done that. Free coffee, drinks, snacks, alcohol, food. Meh, I dont really care about that. Things I look for growth opportunity, company culture, and of course money.

Quoted from:https://www.forbes.com/sites/jackke...you-can-come-into-the-office/?sh=66095d7636a8
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jackke...low-to-the-remote-work-trend/?sh=7b2b10f04cdc

growth opportunity - Similar to JPMorgan CEO Jamie Dimon?s position, Gorman said, ?Returning to the office was particularly important for junior members of staff who were training on the job. ?[The office is] where we teach, where our interns learn. That?s how we develop people. Where you build all the soft cues that go with having a successful career that aren?t just about Zoom presentations.?

company culture - ?Most professionals learn their job through an apprenticeship model, which is almost impossible to replicate in the Zoom world.? The CEO expressed his concern, ?Over time, this drawback could dramatically undermine the character and culture [of the company.]?

money - ?If you want to get paid New York rates, you work in New York.?

NotAnEarlyBird said:

Last company i consulted for did that with their AP, sure it's cheaper, but there are issues along with it.  If it's a process from a to z with zero deviation, then it's good.  But there are always cases where something comes up and they typically require assistance/clarification from people in a different timezone before something gets done, (unhappy customers/vendors), which also puts additional strain on the non-outsourced current employees/work groups (longer hours).

eyephone said:
akula1488 said:
Personally I like to be in office for the free coffee and the view. The drive to work is also scenic.

I respect your feedback. Free coffee? Been there done that. Free coffee, drinks, snacks, alcohol, food. Meh, I dont really care about that. Things I look for growth opportunity, company culture, and of course money.

Time and the flexibility in how you get to spend it would be high on my list.  Fortunately I get to spend time with the kiddos... I've seen alot of folks who make a ton of money but only spend a handful of waking hours with their kids a week (maybe it's their choice?)

NotAnEarlyBird said:
Quoted from:https://www.forbes.com/sites/jackke...you-can-come-into-the-office/?sh=66095d7636a8
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jackke...low-to-the-remote-work-trend/?sh=7b2b10f04cdc

growth opportunity - Similar to JPMorgan CEO Jamie Dimon%u2019s position, Gorman said, %u201CReturning to the office was particularly important for junior members of staff who were training on the job. %u201C[The office is] where we teach, where our interns learn. That%u2019s how we develop people. Where you build all the soft cues that go with having a successful career that aren%u2019t just about Zoom presentations.%u201D

company culture - %u201CMost professionals learn their job through an apprenticeship model, which is almost impossible to replicate in the Zoom world.%u201D The CEO expressed his concern, %u201COver time, this drawback could dramatically undermine the character and culture [of the company.]%u201D

money - %u201CIf you want to get paid New York rates, you work in New York.%u201D

Appreciate your post. But it all depends. A particular bolt or screw does not fit all holes.
Investment banking is a lot different from jobs in California.

We are not here to baby sit and watch you. Hand holding is a joke. High turnover rate working at the big firms even before covid.

Regarding zoom: if a person does not know how to use zoom or effectively communicate then maybe the job is not right for the person. 

If you are concerned about person quality of work. The company should hire better people and/or pay more for top notch college graduates. Everybody knows that.

New York pays well, but other places pay well also.

AW said:
eyephone said:
akula1488 said:

Time and the flexibility in how you get to spend it would be high on my list.  Fortunately I get to spend time with the kiddos... I've seen alot of folks who make a ton of money but only spend a handful of waking hours with their kids a week (maybe it's their choice?)

It is all relative and up to the person. There is no judgement. (No offense to the person that likes going to work for coffee is laughable. To me at least.)

Back