Any TI Residents looking to move out of state?

aquabliss

Just curious where you guys have been looking?  I've been thinking about it for quite some time but not sure I could leave this OC paradise in the end.  A couple communities I like in other states:

Montverde, Florida (suburb of Orlando) / Bella Colina:https://www.bellacollina.com/
Haven't visited yet but like this area, may check it out in person later in the year. 

Prosper, Texas (suburb of Dallas) / Windsong Ranch:https://windsongranchliving.com/
Visited here last year, it's an awesome neighborhood but prices spiked pretty high this year. 

Share some neighborhoods in other states you guys have looked at...

The Carolinas - North or South. Can't live too far from an ocean.....  Yes, there is a terrific risk of hurricanes in the Carolinas, but we get fires, floods, earthquakes, and incurable knuckleheadedness from our politicians so all in all, it balances.

I personally would consider PNW area so Portland or Seattle. I just like the weather and the outdoors.

There's a heatwave gripping the rest of the SW region and our high today was 76F.  The weather is equally kind in the winter.  Can't see myself leaving anytime soon.

Soylent Green Is People said:
The Carolinas - North or South. Can't live too far from an ocean.....  Yes, there is a terrific risk of hurricanes in the Carolinas, but we get fires, floods, earthquakes, and incurable knuckleheadedness from our politicians so all in all, it balances.

Climate change there also.

Abc News: HOW NORTH CAROLINA IS ALREADY SEEING THE IMPACT OF CLIMATE CHANGEhttps://abc11.com/north-carolina-cl...nce-plan-change-nc-sea-level-rising/10517031/

The State News: As heat rises, SC watches quietly. Will state suffer from lack of climate action?https://www.thestate.com/news/local/environment/article239527278.html

I've considered the Carolina's but haven't looked into it much.  Do you have a link to a neighborhood you were considering there? 

They like to bash California climate change issues.

They forget or do not want to talk about the other climate change issues because it does not fit their agenda. Things to consider: water is rising in Louisiana, Florida, beaches are eroding in the Carolinas. Texas freezing and temperature rising with utility issues , Iowa/midwest flooding, soil has become drier in Alabama, increase rain and flooding in Kentucky, Oklahoma had a surge of earthquakes since 2009.

Careful about Texas. Their property taxes are equivalent to GP. Home price may be low assuming you make CA wage but that is a one time benefit. Property taxes are perpetual.

aquabliss said:

I've considered the Carolina's but haven't looked into it much.  Do you have a link to a neighborhood you were considering there?

One of my sisters moved to SC. Her house isn't close to the beach so the chance for hurricanes is lower (they can still get tornados and lots of rain tho). Property taxes and home prices are pretty low.

We have friends in Greenville, SC. inland, but a very nice community. Still has a small town feel to things. Could keep a 2nd home near Myrtle Beach as prices for decent homes remain in the mid to upper 2's... Water is in the 80's for most of the Summer. Beats Cali's 72ish pacific temps.

Chapel Hill / Raleigh NC are also a consideration for us. Nice to be in a college town as they tend to keep the area vibrant. Very wooded area and has 4 true seasons. 2+ hour drive to the ocean, but still... a great reduction in california kookie-ness which more than offsets the risk of hurricane flooding IMHO.

sleepy5136 said:
Careful about Texas. Their property taxes are equivalent to GP. Home price may be low assuming you make CA wage but that is a one time benefit. Property taxes are perpetual.

Not only that. Another potential electricity crisis during this summer. Electric operator in Texas ask Texans to conserve according to cnn article.

We're close to pulling the trigger on moving to South Maui.

There are very few places in the US that are more suitable and friendly for East Asians than Irvine. Maui is on par with Irvine in that regard. And better for those who still have ties and need to travel to Asia.

My parents bought a beach house there in 2007 and we've been vacationing there every year since 2007 (except during COVID)

They now plan to live there majority of the time.

We've always loved the area but never imagined living there regularly.

COVID really changed our life planning.

USCTrojanCPA said:
I think when it's time to retire, I'll move to Summerlin in Las Vegas.

I don't know man. I can't stand the heat and Vegas is just beyond bearable for me.

Cares said:
USCTrojanCPA said:

I don't know man. I can't stand the heat and Vegas is just beyond bearable for me.

But guys, it?s a dry heat lol... we went to Vegas for Memorial Day and even then was too hot for me.  Also just something about Vegas with all those rocks and cactus kinda depressing, I need to see green belts and mature trees when I?m strolling around town to pickup boba and stuff.

Cares said:
USCTrojanCPA said:

My dad and his arthritis love Vegas, he always complains how his arthritis acts up when he comes down to Orange County to see me and pick up his meds.

aquabliss said:
Cares said:
USCTrojanCPA said:

But guys, it?s a dry heat lol... we went to Vegas for Memorial Day and even then was too hot for me.  Also just something about Vegas with all those rocks and cactus kinda depressing, I need to see green belts and mature trees when I?m strolling around town to pickup boba and stuff.

There are only 2-3 spots that I would live in Vegas that are Irvine like (master plan communities). 

My dream house is in PNW with lots of trees, by a body of water, away from people. And it better rains 200 days a year, exactly opposite of what my wife's wants lol. She is SoCal and SoCal only.

Back