New Construction - Highland at Portola Springs vs Landing at Tustin Legacy

Hi everyone, the resale market has been difficult and I am switching gears to new construction. I am considering a couple of new constructions: Highland at Portola Springs and The Landing at Tustin Legacy.

What are the pros and cons of Highland at Portola Springs?

There is not much information on the Landing at Tustin Legacy at the moment but does anyone have any opinion on this area? The builder is Brooksfield Residential.

Some people consider Portola out of the way.
Soil at Tustin Legacy may be remediated. Read the disclosures.  If it says not to plant fruit trees in the ground then soil may have been contaminated but cleaned up.

I like both areas, but both have their pros and cons.

Highland
Pros:
  • Very nice enclave in Portola Springs
  • Surrounded by nature
  • Easy toll road access

Cons:
  • Repetitive Irvine Pacific home designs
  • In the fire zone
  • Too far out depending on what your needs are
  • Far from the 5
  • Only close to the Woodbury Town Center

Landing at Tustin Legacy
Pros:
  • Very central to everything
  • Multiple shopping centers, including the District being within walking distance
  • Clean and unique home designs
  • Easy access to main roads and freeways

Cons:
  • Potential soil issues
  • Very close to main roads if you are in a home on the edge of the community
  • I have a feeling the HOA fees will by sky high

irviniteeee said:
I like both areas, but both have their pros and cons.

Highland
Pros:
  • Very nice enclave in Portola Springs
  • Surrounded by nature
  • Easy toll road access

Cons:
  • Repetitive Irvine Pacific home designs
  • In the fire zone
  • Too far out depending on what your needs are
  • Far from the 5
  • Only close to the Woodbury Town Center

Landing at Tustin Legacy
Pros:
  • Very central to everything
  • Multiple shopping centers, including the District being within walking distance
  • Clean and unique home designs
  • Easy access to main roads and freeways

Cons:
  • Potential soil issues
  • Very close to main roads if you are in a home on the edge of the community
  • I have a feeling the HOA fees will by sky high

Agree with all of the above but wanted to add some to the cons:

Highland Con:
This is a big one for me considering how much Highland is asking for these homes. Even though these are SFR on an actual street, you cannot park on the street in front of your home. The street is more narrow than usual streets and have no sidewalk. Can only park in designated parking spaces or the bigger streets, Rosebriar and Horsetail. Neither of these streets have direct access to the front of the homes.

Landing at Tustin Legacy Con:
Schools rated lower than IUSD.

Tustin Legacy might have MR that can go up to 2% every year.  Many new build within TUSD have MR like that. 

lnc said:
Tustin Legacy might have MR that can go up to 2% every year.  Many new build within TUSD have MR like that. 

It does have that clause. So it can go up by up to 2% per year.

socal007 said:
Hi OP,

I am interested in Highland as well. Got pre-approved and I am in the priority list for next phase. I was curious if you have any data points on cost of insuring the home. Its smack right next to the fire zone. I used this address to check using the LA times link.

140 Princess Pine, Irvine, California 92618, United States
https://www.latimes.com/projects/wildfire-hazard-zone-lookup-map/

I hope you have signed in with one of the agents so you get a portion of the broker op. Irvine Pacific is very strict about having the agent sign in on first visit...atleast that was my experience from 4 yrs back. They wouldn't consider my request because in my first visit to the models i didn't have the TI knowledge to get an agent to sign in. Plus a good agent can help you with questions about the buying process and upgrades

Irvinehomeseeker, Thank you. I signed up before I saw the broker referral post here. Lesson learned!
I am also interested in Fresco, Como and Solano so I will make sure I go with an agent before I tour. We officially started our home search after window shopping on Redfin for the past 6 months. We are planning to start interviewing realtors soon. Please let us know if you recommend anyone.

I could not agree more about the street setup, it lessens the curb appeal / value of the neighborhood.  However that being stated wider streets with a mini greenbelt, sidewalk, and parking on both sides of the street would have likely yielded significantly less homes and I'm guessing a significantly higher starting price.

On the opposite end of the spectrum the additional cost / premium with a wider street setup might have been worth it as it would have been a very unique enclave within a nice part of Portola Springs.  IP is very good at what they do and I'm fairly certain they weighed both options.

Latest pricing of highland is around $1.5M for base lots. IMHO they don?t deserve it. Current supply demand economics are driving the prices like crazy. I have seen them go from $1.3M to $1.5M in 6 months. At this rate $1.6M in a few months for base lots is not far fetched. On top of this you have the annoying priority list which is the most random nonsensical process helmed by  equally incompetent sales people. Overall buyers continue to be taken for a ride. My friend had a rattlesnake on her porch nicely curled up and taking a nap on her porch. So cute!

I agree. Highland at that price point for a quasi-SFR is not worth it. And the rattle snake makes it even scary. Thats one concern I always has with PS5 - snakes and coyotes!

Irvinehomeseeker said:
I agree. Highland at that price point for a quasi-SFR is not worth it. And the rattle snake makes it even scary. Thats one concern I always has with PS5 - snakes and coyotes!

Quasi SFR will become the new SFR and the old SFR will be called traditional or last gen.

You might be onto something here  :) Also the definition of ?being close to nature? is different for folks?lakes, rivers and lush forest vs predators.

I think they should be around $1.1M max considering everything.

Davidlee199 said:
It?s over $1.6M now.  Soon to be over $2M by the end of this year. Cost more than new homes in Orchard hills?.. lol

Dare I say rip off  ;)  Maybe IP is planning to farm the land with orange and avocado trees around highland and call it Highland Orchards.  :D

I guarantee you the land between Groves and Reserve will be turned into new housing within 10 years.

Davidlee199 said:
It?s over $1.6M now.  Soon to be over $2M by the end of this year. Cost more than new homes in Orchard hills?.. lol

I think IP originally wanted PS to be like OH. But with housing crash and so much uncertain and unexpected events, PS sort of got left off as a "value village." Now with IP back on building there, they might upgrade the village into OH class.  I mean what's so different from OH to PS anyways? They're both located in hotter areas of the town.

Back