Ford F-150 Lightning Electric Truck

irvinehomeowner

2022-Ford-F-150-Lightning-00.jpg

https://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/f150-lightning/2022/

Goodby minivan... I'm getting that or Cybertruck as my next vehicle.

And starts at only $40k with Fed/CA incentives it puts you closer to $32,500... and you can power your house with it.

Looks interesting. I like the huge frunk with hidden storage. The base model for $40k will only get you 230 miles of range.

is it $40k *after* the rebate?  so list price $47,500, plus all the garbage fees?

irvinehomeowner said:

And starts at only $40k with Fed/CA incentives it puts you closer to $32,500... and you can power your house with it.

before, so it's more like 32.5k on the base
freedomcm said:
is it $40k *after* the rebate?  so list price $47,500, plus all the garbage fees?

irvinehomeowner said:

Do yourself a huge favor and turn a blind eye to any non-Tesla EV - their IP lead in software and silicon and battery technologies is so huge the rest will burn through hundreds of billions of cash desperately trying to catch up - what top tier engineer wants to work for a legacy OEM vs Tesla? Read the WSJ Rumble Seat reviews of the various Teslas then read their reviews of the Taycan and Mach E. My buddy bought the Jaguar EV and now regrets it.

OCtoSV said:
Do yourself a huge favor and turn a blind eye to any non-Tesla EV - their IP lead in software and silicon and battery technologies is so huge the rest will burn through hundreds of billions of cash desperately trying to catch up - what top tier engineer wants to work for a legacy OEM vs Tesla? Read the WSJ Rumble Seat reviews of the various Teslas then read their reviews of the Taycan and Mach E. My buddy bought the Jaguar EV and now regrets it.

That made me chuckle  ;D

Between the Panasonic batteries, the level 2 FSD and the manufacturing prowess of Tesla the other vendors must be real worried. Don't make it sound like Tesla is the end all be all of EVs.

@OCtoSV... that's because it's a Jaguar. English cars are a hoot to own, but you are on a first name basis with your mechanic. Long ago I was told the reason why LandRover (or Jaguar) would not build an electric car is because their engineers couldn't figure out how to make it leak oil.

I had pretty high hopes for Rivian, but was told the Amazon Electric trucks are Rivian sourced. The noise those Amazon EV's make is pretty surprising at times. Rivian might have better sound dampers, but still....

My .02c

What I do like about other makers finally coming out with EVs to challenge Tesla is it keeps Tesla innovating, improving build quality and focusing on customer service.

The big complaint about Teslas is customer service... but it's not like other brands are blazing that trail. What drives that perception is more like brand loyalty rather than actual excellent customer service.

But a year is a long way out... and who know if there will be delays, although Ford has delivered on the Mach-E. The next 3-5 years will be very interesting in the EV space which is good for everyone.

Soylent Green Is People said:
@OCtoSV... that's because it's a Jaguar. English cars are a hoot to own, but you are on a first name basis with your mechanic. Long ago I was told the reason why LandRover (or Jaguar) would not build an electric car is because their engineers couldn't figure out how to make it leak oil.

I had pretty high hopes for Rivian, but was told the Amazon Electric trucks are Rivian sourced. The noise those Amazon EV's make is pretty surprising at times. Rivian might have better sound dampers, but still....

My .02c

Recently I saw Rivians on various days doing test drives around Irvine. Their cars have the camouflaged wrap on it like all new development cars do. I don't have much to add about it but it sure looks like they are close to going to commercial release/production.

Rivian was supposed to start R1T deliveries next month after delaying it last year but it looks unlikely, maybe delayed again to the end of the year? And the Lightning announcement is not a good news for them considering how closely apart they will be released with such a big price difference.

Cares said:
Soylent Green Is People said:

My .02c

Recently I saw Rivians on various days doing test drives around Irvine. Their cars have the camouflaged wrap on it like all new development cars do. I don't have much to add about it but it sure looks like they are close to going to commercial release/production.

Yeah, I've noticed several Rivians driven around the past few days near the headquarters.  Looks interesting.  Also, not much to add...but they look pretty good.  Just going to be a slow hill to climb to convince hardcore truck people to switch from their F-150s and Silverados to go with a Rivian.

Back