Running power in my backyard

I want some more power outlets in my yard, without having to redo the entire thing right now.  Can I generally just hire an electrician to do it?  There are some built in lights scattered throughout, but no actual outlets.

ThirtySomethingWEquity said:
I want some more power outlets in my yard, without having to redo the entire thing right now.  Can I generally just hire an electrician to do it?  There are some built in lights scattered throughout, but no actual outlets.
Electricians can do that. I did that in my yard. The wire runs beneath the pavers.

If you are running 120v then I seem to recall Irvine code is 24 inches below grade.  Some electricians will not trench the line and you may have to hire a landscaper to do that.  If you decide you want to do the work outside of code requirements (which I don't recommend for sale disclosure reasons) then you may want to communicate that first to the electrician as some will not want to install electrical that is not to code as it carries potential liability and licensing issues for the electrician.

It is not cheap to retroactively install electrical outlets according to code.  A cheap alternative may be to install an outdoor power outlet extension coupled with a 50ft outdoor rated extension cord. $50 and you're done.

https://www.amazon.com/Kasonic-Weatherproof-Extension-Certified-Multi-Outlets/dp/B07F23SW7F/ref=asc_df_B07F23SW7F/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=242041198988&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5207064292960932195&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031533&hvtargid=pla-472075255841&psc=1

irvine buyer said:
If you are running 120v then I seem to recall Irvine code is 24 inches below grade.  Some electricians will not trench the line and you may have to hire a landscaper to do that.  If you decide you want to do the work outside of code requirements (which I don't recommend for sale disclosure reasons) then you may want to communicate that first to the electrician as some will not want to install electrical that is not to code as it carries potential liability and licensing issues for the electrician.

It is not cheap to retroactively install electrical outlets according to code.  A cheap alternative may be to install an outdoor power outlet extension coupled with a 50ft outdoor rated extension cord. $50 and you're done.

https://www.amazon.com/Kasonic-Weatherproof-Extension-Certified-Multi-Outlets/dp/B07F23SW7F/ref=asc_df_B07F23SW7F/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=242041198988&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5207064292960932195&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031533&hvtargid=pla-472075255841&psc=1

I already have a pipe (is that what you mean by 'Trench the line') that runs power throughout my yard, I just don't have any outlet access anywhere.  All along where my plants are on the perimeter are wired lights, but no way for me to plug in something else.

Your planters lights are most likely low voltage fixture (~20V), not 110V. Are they connected to a transformer somewhere?

if your conduit for power for the lights is already deep enough, any electrician will make quick work of pulling higher voltage wire through the conduit using the existing wire.  should make the job inexpensive

Most landscapers do not install 12v landscape wiring inside of electrical conduit pipe.  That said, most landscape lighting for trees and plants is 12v.  An electrician will be able to take a look and advise you as to what you have.

Sorry, but a monkey can install low voltage lighting.

The 120 I can see calling an electrician, then again if ones have any desire to do a diy, it can be done even better since you are doing on your house. Labor of love.

Back