Apple New Products

eyephone

iPad Pro - faster, brighter screen, 5G option, 12 megapixel ultra-wide camera
New colorful iMacs
Apple TV 4K with improved remote
Air tag for easily tracking your lost items such as keys

I've been waiting for an updated Apple TV. The new remote with directional touchpad improves on the hated square touchpad. It also supports Wifi 6 and HDMI 2.1. They didn't mention 120 Hz support but that might come with tvOS 15 announcements.

Can AirTags help with stolen goods (backpack, bike, etc) or will the anti-stalking features inform thieves of their presence?

Refreshed iMac looks really good...performance and benchmarks will determine if I'll pick one up or not though.

Cares said:
Refreshed iMac looks really good...performance and benchmarks will determine if I'll pick one up or not though.
I agree, looks amazing! Is it the same M1 chip from the MacBook Air/Pro/MacMini from a few months ago or is it a more powerful version?

zovall said:
Can AirTags help with stolen goods (backpack, bike, etc) or will the anti-stalking features inform thieves of their presence?

Thieves will probably discard them if found, and if not found they?ll get the ?moving with you message? and just disable it on their phone.

Just think of having this on your backpack then boarding a train, bus, airport shuttle.  Won?t everyone get the message?

I was at Disneyland once and an Amber Alert was issued.  It was like time froze and everyone stopped to look at their phone.

zovall said:
Cares said:
I agree, looks amazing! Is it the same M1 chip from the MacBook Air/Pro/MacMini from a few months ago or is it a more powerful version?

The M1 chip in the iMac is the same one used in the MacBook. If you need something with better GPU and multi-core processing (i.e. heavy photo shop, video editing, 3D CAD etc..), then wait for a M1x or M2 chip next year or get a 27 inch iMac with Intel i9 processor and upgraded video card. For most people, the M1 will be overkill for everyday tasks such as internet browsing, word processing, and occasional video editing.

Apple Insider has a good article comparing the new M1 chip iMacs vs the intel iMacs:https://appleinsider.com/articles/2...c-pro-vs-215-inch-and-27-inch-intel-imac-pros

zovall said:
Cares said:

If you need it more than casual use. I would recommend getting the 16gb of ram.
Since the ram is not upgradable with the M1 chip.

But the standard 8 gb of ram should be okay for casual use.

The base model is pretty bare bone but it may be the better deal once you upgrade the DRAM to 16GB (the max I guess for this model).

You will most likely have to buy a good Thunderbolt hub for more USB ports, that would make the $200 upgrade to the mid range model a bit of a waste for +1 GPU core, +2 USB3 ports & +1 gigabit ethernet. Storage wise it may also be cheaper to grab a good Thunderbolt external SSD (1TB for ~$200) instead of paying $200 to go from 256GB to 512GB with Apple.

The base model M1 iMac 24" ($1300) is somewhat comparable to the base model MacBook Air ($1000).

Suppose if you opt for the $1000 MacBook Air, then add:
27" LG 4K Monitor ($405) w/USB-C + 2 USB3 ports
Macally USB Mac Keyboard ($30)
USB mouse laying around the house ($?)

You can connect the laptop to the monitor via USB-C port and the keyboard/mouse to the USB3 ports in back of monitor.  In this config you will spend at least $135 more than the base 24" iMac, but the MacBook Air gives you portability, and the 27" monitor can be re-used with any computer. 

I would still recommend at least 16GB RAM upgrade as future OSX versions is certainty going to consume more memory, and less disk swapping = longer SSD life.

momopi said:
The base model M1 iMac 24" ($1300) is somewhat comparable to the base model MacBook Air ($1000).

Suppose if you opt for the $1000 MacBook Air, then add:
27" LG 4K Monitor ($405) w/USB-C + 2 USB3 ports
Macally USB Mac Keyboard ($30)
USB mouse laying around the house ($?)

You can connect the laptop to the monitor via USB-C port and the keyboard/mouse to the USB3 ports in back of monitor.  In this config you will spend at least $135 more than the base 24" iMac, but the MacBook Air gives you portability, and the 27" monitor can be re-used with any computer. 

I would still recommend at least 16GB RAM upgrade as future OSX versions is certainty going to consume more memory, and less disk swapping = longer SSD life.

It is unfortunate that Apple took away the option to upgrade the ram. (It has been like for years)
A lot of reviews that I read, indicate 16gb is the way to go. But for casual use 8 gb should be fine.

Apple's decision to remove user-upgradable SSD is like planned obsolescence, though at this time we don't have enough data on how long the SSD's last.  Manufacturers like Samsung provides warranty on 250GB SSD for 150TBW (terabytes written), but in real world testing they have lasted to as much as 2,100TBW and 9,100TBW.  In comparison Crucial SSD's only lasted to 187TBW and 280TBW:
https://www.techpowerup.com/234699/samsung-850-pro-ssd-reaches-end-of-life-with-9100-tb-written

In theory, if the M1 Mac SSD's are shown to last 900+TBW on average, then used M1 Mac's with 150-300TBW on the SSD would not have much of a price impact (in the used market).

Also, just because the chip is soldered doesn't mean it can't be upgraded.  While this doesn't really qualify as end-user upgradable, it is possible that we may see professional services offering RAM and SSD upgrades for M1 Macs in the future:
https://www.iclarified.com/80410/chinese-engineer-manages-to-upgrade-ram-and-ssd-on-m1-mac

Needless to say this would void warranty, and it's probably easier to just buy the Mac with 16GB RAM to begin with.

I really don't use anything else Apple other than the iPhone and the watch so non-event for me.

When are they going to bring back the home button? :)

The iPhone 13 renderings look interesting... a smaller notch but it's still there... not sure whey they just don't make it a line at the top.

eyephone said:
eyephone said:
Apple m1 mini refurb 8gb ram with 256gb for only $589 (through apple official website)

Sold out

If you are on a budget, a full price Mac Mini ($650) + buying your own monitor and peripherals will still be cheaper than a new iMac.

eyephone said:
eyephone said:
Apple m1 mini refurb 8gb ram with 256gb for only $589 (through apple official website)

Sold out

Since the product just came out. One of the rumor I read that these refurbished units might be brand new. (speculation rumor)

MacBook Air laptop M1 13? $733

https://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=236848&CatId=4360

Back