Pickup Trucks

nosuchreality

I haven't considered a pickup truck for a vehicle since the late 90s.  My current fluffy accord, aka Odyssey, is a bit long in the tooth and I am considering changing out vehicles.  Was considering a truck for tow capacity and exterior cargo bed for the occasional hauling needs I have.

Upon checking the typical car sites, I was blown away at the sticker prices on trucks.  Six year old half on trucks still $30K-$35K. 

Is this the pandemic used car price increase, just truck thing?

pickup truck sales have been increasing for a couple years now.  I believe more F-150s are sold than any other vehicle in this country.  The pandemic just boosted sales even more as more people want to go camping and take long road trips.

If you are going to get a truck...get a truck!... ;D ;) >:D

Attachments

• truck.gif
    truck.gif
    234.1 KB · Views: 131
These are exciting times for truck owners. The full size and mid size market is exploding and is ultra competitive. Ford just redesigned the F150 and incorporated some cool onboard power options for the bed. A redesigned Toyota Tundra is coming with a new turbo V6 with 400+ hp, coil springs for better ride, and updated exterior/interiors. The mid size market should see several new cross over trucks from Ford (Maverick) and Hyundai (Santa Cruz). They will offer the benefit of car like handling and NVH but with the utility of a truck--think Honda Ridgeline. Ford is also coming out with a redesigned Ranger on the same platform as the new Bronco.

aren't there really two very different 'new bronco's?

low end on the escape platform, and the other on a truck platform?

When you say "hauling needs" would this be dirt, rocks, etc, or camping and kid stuff? A big Sequoia is truck based and has an ocean of room for stuff.

Not much news here about Rivian who will be delivering trucks soon. I've heard that some of Amazon's delivery trucks are sourced from Rivian.

freedomcm said:
aren't there really two very different 'new bronco's?

low end on the escape platform, and the other on a truck platform?

You're right. Bronco Sport is based on the Escape platform. A cross over SUV with rugged looks. The Bronco and new Ranger will share the same truck platform. More off road capable and direct competitor with Jeep Wrangler.

Soylent Green Is People said:
When you say "hauling needs" would this be dirt, rocks, etc, or camping and kid stuff? A big Sequoia is truck based and has an ocean of room for stuff.

Not much news here about Rivian who will be delivering trucks soon. I've heard that some of Amazon's delivery trucks are sourced from Rivian.

Towing, occasional runs to pick up a yard of mulch, firewood, work wood.  Basically a full-size SUV will do 90%.  The mulch and stuff I could do with a trailer rental, pita. 

Ironically, the crew cab trucks are great for towing but their cargo has really started to lack unless you get the long bed which then you have truck that doesn?t fit anywhere.

Having owned a truck for a good 15 years of my life, highly recommend crew cab and I find that the bed is used less in relation to how many friends you have who need to move stuff. By the end, that's why I went minivan... needed to move people more than oversized stuff.

My next car will be a truck just because I have less people to move and I want to look macho in my waning years.

Go electric... if you want very quick torque... it's the only way.

:)

Like everything else, simply supply and demand, and too many dollars chasing too few goods.  Yes, pandemic played a role.  Production reduced.  In addition, everyone and their brother are now into overlanding and towing stuff.  WFH eliminates the need for a commuter car, so now there's a spot in the driveway for a more manlymanly set of wheels for glamping trips.  I'm glad I'm not in the market for a truck today.

My trucks, and pretty much all modern trucks, are more likely to size out of parking stalls due to width than length.  People can maneuver around a bed poking into the lane, but a door too close is going to get a ding.  Back in the '90s you could still buy small trucks.  Not so much anymore.  Bed/tailgate height is much taller too.  Good luck reaching over the side wall to get something in the middle right behind the cab.  But the tech is so much better.  And payload/towing capacity too.  Trucks still ride like trucks for the most part...but the IRS of the Ridgeline is a good step up in ride quality.

Not sure what you mean by "work wood" but if you mean lumber, 8' on a 5.5' bed is really pushing it, and kind of works with a 6.5' bed.  Works great with a 8' bed of course, but not many (if any) 1/2 tons available with crew cabs and 8' bed anymore.

Back