Wall switches for ceiling fans

zovall

If the bedroom has recessed lighting already, what kind of wall switch makes sense when adding a ceiling fan?

Are you trying to add a switch/fan light combo together on an existing single gang?  I assume if existing wires to the jbox are there, you should have a 2nd switch.  If you're adding wiring, the wall area should already be opened up to run the wires, have the electrician make it a 2 gang.

I'm adding wiring for a ceiling fan. I will probably pick a ceiling fan without a light (since the room has recessed lighting already). The setup I've seen in some homes is 1 wall switch for the power to the fan and 1 remote (holstered right next to switch) to control fan light and speed. I don't particularly like that and wanted to see what others prefer.

I think in the past I also had one prewired where there were 2 wall switches for the ceiling fan (1 for the fan light and 1 for the fan spinning or not).

That's what I have, one switch for the recessed and another for the fan.  The remote is just in a drawer somewhere since the fan I have can be controlled via app or Alexa and the switch. 

It really comes down to preference for the face, I would personally pick a switch that is compatible with Alexa or whatever app/home smart system you use, then you don't need the remote next to the switch and have the flexibility to set timers, turn on/off from phone, and use the switch when walking in and out of the room. 

Option 2 is if you really want nothing there besides your light switch get a fan that can be controlled by remote/app and doesn't need a switch, you lose a bit of flexibility, but if you don't care for a switch or don't like the look, this is the way to go.

zovall said:
I'm adding wiring for a ceiling fan. I will probably pick a ceiling fan without a light (since the room has recessed lighting already). The setup I've seen in some homes is 1 wall switch for the power to the fan and 1 remote (holstered right next to switch) to control fan light and speed. I don't particularly like that and wanted to see what others prefer.

I think in the past I also had one prewired where there were 2 wall switches for the ceiling fan (1 for the fan light and 1 for the fan spinning or not).

I didn't like the remote on the wall also. We did the recessed lighting and the fans at the same time so just ended up putting the switch for the lights and the fan in a 2-gang box in all the bedrooms. The remote sits in the nightstand. It's useful having it next to the bed so that you can turn off the fan at night if you need to without getting up, first world problems :). Although if you decide you want the fan on after you have laid down then you need to get up and flick the switch on.

Back