TUSD returning to full time instruction (sic)

nosuchreality

TUSD will be returning to full time instruction with full student load.

Of course, the instruction material will be exactly the same as before.  All instruction will be lumped into the morning 2.5 hours.  The kids will then sit in a class full of kids to do their homework siting at the desks in their masks and 3 foot distance.  Theoretically they will have access to a teacher, 1/35th of 2.5 hours less recess, breaks etc.  So basically 4 minutes a day.

No extra instruction. No arts classes or any other babble you hear about but just kids sitting in the room.

Unfortunately people howling for full time instruction don?t seem to recognize the charade and are too busy doing a happy dance that their kid will be out of the house.

It is a bad plan.

@NSR - do you know this for a fact or just assuming?? I saw the notification yesterday and assumed they would be reverting back to a more normal education format. So utilizing the entitire day for teaching vs teaching for 2.5 hours and the rest is just for homework time. Either way it?s probably beneficial for the kids to have a more structured homework time. For one month of school the format probably doesn?t make much of a difference at this point.

The communication did say ?full day instruction?. I?m assuming that means a normal pre-covid learning day. Or do you believe that to accommodate the kids that continue to be 100% remote they will just reach the same 2.5 hours?

Per TUSD email, look to your principal for the plan.  Have heard the plan as communicated by the principal to multiple friends in other elementary schools.  All have the same ?plan?.

High school goes back the 19th, don?t know plan there.

Elementary back the 29th.  The above is the plan, with jaded reading between the lines of the plan,  all DL students will shift to the AM session.  All in person/hybrid students go in the AM for instruction and then stay for work time in the afternoon.

Can?t teach in person more because then you are short changing the DL students.

I want the kids back in school, but I want a real education plan and not this charade. 

That is why they use terms like full day instruction, because you assume that means full day regular schedule, but it really means kids are present the full day.

I?m sure the teachers will come up with extra ?work? for the kids to do,  a class full of kids getting bored will be chaos.

Thanks for clarifying.

It seems like they are letting perfection be the enemy of good

Let?s teach 80% of the students (or whatever the in person amount is) at 100% capacity and 20% at 30% capacity (remote learners)

OR

Let?s teach 100% of all students at 30%. Instead of short-changing less students, let?s make sure we short change all students equally :-(

I guess i should have known as the obvious answer to a government entity is the second option.

qwerty said:
Thanks for clarifying.

Let?s teach 80% of the students (or whatever the in person amount is) at 100% capacity and 20% at 30% capacity (remote learners)

OR

Let?s teach 100% of all students at 30%. Instead of short-changing less students, let?s make sure we short change all students equally :-(

I guess i should have known as the obvious answer to a government entity is the second option.

Private school option 100 percent

eyephone said:
qwerty said:
Thanks for clarifying.

OR

So live in non-Irvine areas and send kids to private schools with the Mello Roos money?

Mety said:
eyephone said:
qwerty said:
Thanks for clarifying.

OR

So live in non-Irvine areas and send kids to private schools with the Mello Roos money?

Please refer me if you can find a private school option that is equivalent to mello roos  :D

AFAIK they are around 20k/year (at least)  :-\ :'( :'(

We received our follow-up email explaining the bell schedule for elementary starting the 29th when the kids return.

Exactly as foreshadowed.  Instruction is crammed into the previous morning shift hybrid time.  Then undocumented time during previous transition time, plus mid morning break, then massive staggered one hour period, then independent work for remainder of the day.

GenericIrvineResident said:
Mety said:
eyephone said:
qwerty said:
Thanks for clarifying.

OR

Please refer me if you can find a private school option that is equivalent to mello roos  :D

AFAIK they are around 20k/year (at least)  :-\ :'( :'(

I think bigger SFR homes in GP areas have that much MR. Maybe a little less. I was just joking about sending kids to private schools with MR money though. ;D

On a serious note, any private school anyone recommends for K-12?

Back