Real estate musical chair

Cornflakes

I wonder what happens when music stops.
I think about how seats are getting swapped in the ever escalating housing market.
Who are the winners and who are the losers?

This thread is to have some discussion and sharing thoughts.

Generalied hypothetical scene:
A is a renter.
A buys a home from B and pays 5% over LP to beat competittion.
B now has cash and finally moved up to a bigger, better home that he buys from C.
B pays 5% over LP.
And so on it goes till certain point.
At some point, D, an empty nester or a retiree or a savvy RE expert ends the chain. Sells her home to C, takes the cash and becomes a renter for time being.

You still have the same mix - 3 owners, 1 renter. But now, lenders have lent more money, collecting more interest, counties get more taxes, all the parties involved in three transactions get paid (escrow, title, appraiser, realtor, notary, loan officer....) and D has a pile of cash that she converted from equity to bank balance.

A, B, and C paid for all that.

Fast fwd 5 years and the prices for those three homes are even higher than today, A, B, and C are the winners. D is not complete loser if she did something with that cash and got some returns. She might do better or worse than if she had held the real estate.

If the home prices are lower in five years than today, clearly ABCD are on a scale from biggest loser to biggest winner. A being the former and D being the latter.

A friend of mine became "D" late last year.

His job transitioned to 100% remote work.

He sold his south OC home, got a sweet deal on a 2 year lease of a fully furnished Maui vacation rental (owner converted due to covid recession)

Some remote work is here to stay permanently. I think we will see more and more people do something like this

I think this work from home situation will make renting more popular than before. In addition, eviction and mortgage forbearance will be lifted which will stir even more demand in rentals. Smart RE investors are going to take this down time to renovate or snatch rental units for the rental boom later this year or early 2022.

Kenkoko said:
A friend of mine became "D" late last year.

His job transitioned to 100% remote work.

He sold his south OC home, got a sweet deal on a 2 year lease of a fully furnished Maui vacation rental (owner converted due to covid recession)

Some remote work is here to stay permanently. I think we will see more and more people do something like this

How nice.

The boom came in little too early for me. Had it come few years later when my kids will be off to college, I wouldn't mind becoming D and downsize at a nice location where school ratings are least of a concern for me.

Back