Irvine seen as epicenter of violence against Asian - will it impact sales?

OCtoSV

Talking recently to friends and family in OC it seems a perception has formed that Irvine is becoming dangerous for Asians, especially for those of Chinese descent. What are Irvine residents seeing?

OCtoSV said:
Talking recently to friends and family in OC it seems a perception has formed that Irvine is becoming dangerous for Asians, especially for those of Chinese descent. What are Irvine residents seeing?

?? huh?
If anything, it feels safer in Irvine than some other areas of Orange County. Safety in numbers. Masking and general observance of Covid precautions is commonplace and never get any hassle about it.

I would never have been interested in living in places like Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Coto, or Ladera Ranch, but feel more strongly about that sentiment nowadays.

OCtoSV said:

Epicenter of violence against Asian. ;D

If we keep upping the ante on hyperbole we will pretty much blur the line between perception and reality.

Please put more thought when using social media. Use facts, not perception, when sharing opinions.

misme said:
OCtoSV said:

?? huh?
If anything, it feels safer in Irvine than some other areas of Orange County. Safety in numbers. Masking and general observance of Covid precautions is commonplace and never get any hassle about it.

I would never have been interested in living in places like Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Coto, or Ladera Ranch, but feel more strongly about that sentiment nowadays.

I don?t know about safety in numbers. I saw the video of the old guy get kicked by the dude with the husky and no one came to help. Granted there weren?t many people there to actually help.

Perhaps less likely to get attacked due to a higher Asian population.

qwerty said:
misme said:
OCtoSV said:

?? huh?

I don?t know about safety in numbers. I saw the video of the old guy get kicked by the dude with the husky and no one came to help. Granted there weren?t many people there to actually help.

I saw the video too. It is not clear that it is a hate crime (though not ruled out), rather an attacker who does not control their dog and has anger management issues to boot.

OCtoSV said:

Dangerous ? I have a Chinese face but never felt that in Irvine.

I will say that the only thing changed recently was receiving quite a bit of well wishes via texts and DMs. Mostly from non-Asian friends not living in Irvine.

Anti-Chinese sentiment has been increasing in the past couple of years tho.

Last year, an older white lady on the opposite side of my street called me Chinaman in front of my daughter & told us to go back home and not spread the virus.

Kenkoko said:
Dangerous ? I have a Chinese face but never felt that in Irvine.

I will say that the only thing changed recently was receiving quite a bit of well wishes via texts and DMs. Mostly from non-Asian friends not living in Irvine.

Anti-Chinese sentiment has been increasing in the past couple of years tho.

Last year, an older white lady on the opposite side of my street called me Chinaman in front of my daughter & told us to go back home and not spread the virus.

Wow! Sorry you had to experience that.

Kenkoko said:
OCtoSV said:

The only way to respond way is with a smile and throw up the peace sign or the middle. Lol

There are real hate crimes, and then there are various incidents (criminal or not) attributed to hate crime but is actually not.  In case of the Irvine "dog rage" incident, I think more information is needed.

Ramming your car into a street side demonstration/rally while screaming racial epithets, I would say that is a hate crime.  Yet ABC News reported it as "possible hate crime" ?!?!
https://abcnews.go.com/US/car-rammi...nti-asian-hate-investigated/story?id=76628526

Running a car into 2 Chinese girls crossing the street in Lakewood, dragging one down the street under the car and killing both?  Many people yelled racially motivated hate crime and initial news reports claim the driver did not stop immediately or call 911.

Days later more information came out stating that the fatal collision occurred close to 9PM, at a poorly lit intersection without stop lights, and the driver did stop to call 911.  Unless if the driver specially knew of the victims, it's highly unlikely that she could have identified the 2 girls as Asian and purposely ambushed them at night by running them over.

The two victims went to school with my friend's piano students.  It's a sad affair but most likely case of (unintentional) manslaughter and not racially motivated hate crime.  If anyone is feeling generous, I think there's links to the gofundme in the article below to help with the funeral expenses.
https://people.com/human-interest/best-friends-both-24-die-together-after-being-struck-by-a-car/https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/202...tersection-safer-where-two-women-were-killed/

P.S.  I went to Artesia high school in Lakewood.  Back then my English teacher (black) used to tell us that her friend (black) wanted to buy a house in Irvine but no real estate agent would help him.  So he had to get his white coworker as stand-in to work with a real estate agent to buy the house, then he just showed up to sign the paperwork.  So my impression of Irvine back then was colored by the story.

Consequently, in 1989 when my parents were shopping for a home, we drove to Irvine to see new houses for $145k (?) but decided not to buy because my parents thought why would you live this far on a farm?  I didn't say anything partly because of my HS teacher's story.  Ironically a decade later I ended up buying my first condo in Irvine in 1999.

qwerty said:
misme said:
OCtoSV said:

?? huh?

I don%u2019t know about safety in numbers. I saw the video of the old guy get kicked by the dude with the husky and no one came to help. Granted there weren%u2019t many people there to actually help.

We can not tell by the video. Do you think the dog bit the old guy? If so, that is a potential crime or the dog owner is liable under the California dog bite law.

This post is so stupid.

It's clear there isn't a racial motivation from the full uncut video (link below). It's just a problem of an asshole kid that did not leash his dog and committed a crime against an elderly person who whipped his dog. The kid is in the wrong here (twice), but don't try and spin this into a race thing. You act like the kid was trying to target the old man because of his race. It's clear he was just jogging by with an unleashed dog and severely overreacted to a man whipping his dog.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_8iloz4W8k[/youtube]

Original CUT video:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6gfU3w4d5s[/youtube]

I don't know why IPD cut the original video. Why not show the full unedited video from both angles?

You know why they didn?t show it. Because it looks worse than the first video. You can see the young adult assault/kick the older guy 4 times!

GenericIrvineResident said:
This post is so stupid.

It's clear there isn't a racial motivation from the full uncut video (link below). It's just a problem of an asshole kid that did not leash his dog and committed a crime against an elderly person who whipped his dog. The kid is in the wrong here (twice), but don't try and spin this into a race thing. You act like the kid was trying to target the old man because of his race. It's clear he was just jogging by with an unleashed dog and severely overreacted to a man whipping his dog.

Original CUT video:

I don't know why IPD cut the original video. Why not show the full unedited video from both angles?

What was the old guy whipping the dog with?  I?m guessing the metal clasp of his leash.

It?s clear the old guy is swinging something at the dog.

Also, clear the old man?s dog isn?t on leash either..

JIMHO, looking like a two wrongs situation. Still totally unnecessary to assault the old guy.

This post is so stupid.

Original CUT video:

It is very clear the old man was trying to prevent that teen's dog very hard from reaching his own small dog at first. But that teen didn't do anything. That teen's irresponsibility caused everything after that. If anyone thinks whipping at an attacking dog should be blamed. Then didn't prevent a dog from attacking another dog is also something to be blamed. I don't know why someone loves dogs that much ignore that small dog was being hurt at first. There is no two wrongs IMO.

nosuchreality said:
What was the old guy whipping the dog with?  I?m guessing the metal clasp of his leash.

It?s clear the old guy is swinging something at the dog.

Also, clear the old man?s dog isn?t on leash either..

JIMHO, looking like a two wrongs situation. Still totally unnecessary to assault the old guy.

This post is so stupid.

Original CUT video:

Sounds like the opinions I heard are largely a reflection of this one incident. Hopefully it's isolated. I remember violence back in the 80s against Asian students at San Marino and Arcadia HS attributed to "they're taking all the admission slots and scholarships". This was about the time the slur Chan Marino came into widespread usage.

This is not an accurate picture unless rate per capita is provided. Those cities listed have the highest numbers of Asians. I'm sure Bend Oregon would have like 2 incidents per year!

quote author=Liar Loan link=topic=17863.msg377540#msg377540 date=1616700935]
According to the CSUSB report that documents the 150% increase in hate crimes against Asians, the epicenters are:

New York City - 28
Bay Area (SJ/SF) - 19
Los Angeles - 15
Boston - 14

After that, the numbers drop to 6 or less for all other cities, and they didn't measure hate crimes in suburbs or rural areas.
https://www.csusb.edu/sites/default/files/FACT SHEET- Anti-Asian Hate 2020 3.2.21.pdf
[/quote]

Sidehussle said:
This is not an accurate picture unless rate per capita is provided. Those cities listed have the highest numbers of Asians. I'm sure Bend Oregon would have like 2 incidents per year!

quote author=Liar Loan link=topic=17863.msg377540#msg377540 date=1616700935]
According to the CSUSB report that documents the 150% increase in hate crimes against Asians, the epicenters are:

New York City - 28
Bay Area (SJ/SF) - 19
Los Angeles - 15
Boston - 14

After that, the numbers drop to 6 or less for all other cities, and they didn't measure hate crimes in suburbs or rural areas.
https://www.csusb.edu/sites/default/files/FACT SHEET- Anti-Asian Hate 2020 3.2.21.pdf

We are talking about 122 total incidents across 16 major cities.  The numbers are tiny compared to the millions of Asians living in the US, so a per capita calculation is not going to reveal all that much.

Back