?Smile for This Ch*nk!?: Florida Man Hurls Racial Slurs

I admit, as a middle aged white man if I was on the bus as long as physical violence isn?t occurring, I?m probably just going to watch that sh*t roll.

Because a white man stepping between a black man and Asian woman having a mask spat turning into a racial dig is just going to blow the hell up on me being Whitey and escalate the situation.

Margaret Cho: It?s really scary being Asian
Cho ? who was born in San Francisco and now lives in Los Angeles ? explained she feels like a ?target? and specifically discussed the role white supremacy plays in the relationship between black and Asian minority groups.

?Even though there are instances of black on Asian violence, it?s still because of white supremacy,? she said.

?We?re put together from this idea of the myth of the model minority, and that statement is such a damaging one ? to be a model minority ? because it makes it seem like other minorities are not the model.?

She added: ?It pits us against each other as if our only value is our relationship to the white patriarchy.?
https://pagesix.com/2021/03/25/margaret-cho-its-really-scary-being-asian/

nosuchreality said:
I admit, as a middle aged white man if I was on the bus as long as physical violence isn?t occurring, I?m probably just going to watch that sh*t roll.

Because a white man stepping between a black man and Asian woman having a mask spat turning into a racial dig is just going to blow the hell up on me being Whitey and escalate the situation.

We already know you wouldn?t step up.
For me, no matter what race of the person that is getting attacked. I would say something.

Some people say, that this extends all the back from the LA riots. Idk
(Not this incident in particular)

Liar Loan said:
Margaret Cho: It?s really scary being Asian
Cho ? who was born in San Francisco and now lives in Los Angeles ? explained she feels like a ?target? and specifically discussed the role white supremacy plays in the relationship between black and Asian minority groups.

?Even though there are instances of black on Asian violence, it?s still because of white supremacy,? she said.

?We?re put together from this idea of the myth of the model minority, and that statement is such a damaging one ? to be a model minority ? because it makes it seem like other minorities are not the model.?

She added: ?It pits us against each other as if our only value is our relationship to the white patriarchy.?
https://pagesix.com/2021/03/25/margaret-cho-its-really-scary-being-asian/

eyephone said:
nosuchreality said:

We already know you wouldn?t step up.
For me, no matter what race of the person that is getting attacked. I would say something.

Years old riding LA light rail taught me well how this goes down for people intervening,

Like the racist dog attack, the rest of us know when we aren?t getting the whole story.

nosuchreality said:
eyephone said:
nosuchreality said:
I admit, as a middle aged white man if I was on the bus as long as physical violence isn%u2019t occurring, I%u2019m probably just going to watch that sh*t roll.

We already know you wouldn%u2019t step up.

Years old riding LA light rail taught me well how this goes down for people intervening,

Like the racist dog attack, the rest of us know when we aren%u2019t getting the whole story.

Either you are a leader that stands up for what is right or not. For example, two companies from Georgia Coke and Home Depot are against the new voting restriction law in Georgia. They did not have to to say something, but they did.

It is like teaching a child right from wrong. Do the right thing.

The bystander effect is very real.

A friend on mine in New York was attacked on the subway. There were many witnesses but nobody helped. One thing he said really hits home for me as an Asian American.

"It?s not the attack but the apathy that still haunts me. Trauma transforms you. You become someone that bad things happen to, you lose faith anyone will care. Once you realize you?re not safe in the world while being who you are, the sense of danger never ends."

I will link his entire story below.
https://twitter.com/stephanmlee/status/1372229782004510724?s=20

I always operate under the assumption no one is coming to help me. So it?s up to me to be aware of my surroundings and not put myself in situations where things can go sideways. With that said, you don?t necessarily expect crazy things to happen at grocery stores, etc. 

I guess now everyone should just be observant in particular in places where you don?t expect things to go wrong. I also bought pepper spray at Costco for me and my wife to carry in the car, her purse, etc.

Again, years riding the trains have shown me that by standers interjecting into a verbal argument tend to escalate the situation and not defuse it. 

I will posit for everybody that a guy looking like the white patriarchy sticking his nose in the middle of a Black and Asian argument on a will mixed Florida bus that is already teetering off the rails is going to light the whole bus up like a roman candle.

The key is getting things to de-escalate. 

Sometimes you have to take action before the problem gets out of control. You don?t have to be Rambo or bust martial arts and fight the person. (not everybody can fight I get it) A simple phone call or alerting a worker would help tremendously.

For example, recently an Instacart shopper alerted staff at a market that it sounded like a gun the bathroom. Just imagine, what could of happen if the person didn?t tell the store worker.

Independent News: Atlanta Publix gunman was caught by Instacart shopper

An Instacart shopper alerted staff at an Atlanta supermarket after seeing an AR-15 rifle and hearing what he thought was the sound of guns being loaded with ammunition in the store?s bathroom.

Staff at the branch of Publix called the police who upon arrival arrested a suspect as he exited the bathroom and found that he had six guns, CNN reports.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...publix-gunman-instacart-shopper-b1823197.html

nosuchreality said:
Again, years riding the trains have shown me that by standers interjecting into a verbal argument tend to escalate the situation and not defuse it. 

I will posit for everybody that a guy looking like the white patriarchy sticking his nose in the middle of a Black and Asian argument on a will mixed Florida bus that is already teetering off the rails is going to light the whole bus up like a roman candle.

Again, this isn't sounds of a gun, or someone getting beaten.  This is one person, telling a non-observant masker what to do and somewhere between her request and the camera rolling things escalated to dumbass words. 

It's Florida and maybe a polite request was immediated rebutted with raving racist idioicy or maybe there's a little more happening before. We don't really know.  There is a lot context in the bus  between the unmasked passengers that we don't have visibility to. He has a mask, it is pulled down.  So they aren't blatant anti-maskers.

I don't fault her for asking but at a certain point, as Elsa  would say "let it go, let it go"

I am a little curious what the other passnegers thought of the non-videoed exchange.

More importantly, this was in Florida this past week. Everybody on that bus has a mask, bandana or other facial covering except for the guy in question and his female companion whose masks are around their chins and neck. They also are about as spread out as they can get.  So much for the claims of Florida doing it right by not doing anything, because clearly the regular people are.

eyephone said:
Sometimes you have to take action before the problem gets out of control. You don?t have to be Rambo or bust martial arts and fight the person. (not everybody can fight I get it) A simple phone call or alerting a worker would help tremendously.

For example, recently an Instacart shopper alerted staff at a market that it sounded like a gun the bathroom. Just imagine, what could of happen if the person didn?t tell the store worker.

An Instacart shopper alerted staff at an Atlanta supermarket after seeing an AR-15 rifle and hearing what he thought was the sound of guns being loaded with ammunition in the store?s bathroom.

Staff at the branch of Publix called the police who upon arrival arrested a suspect as he exited the bathroom and found that he had six guns, CNN reports.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...publix-gunman-instacart-shopper-b1823197.html

nosuchreality said:

But I thought you said you won?t even get involved. Now you said you would get involved, but only if you hear loading of a gun. I think you even said in the Irvine dog attack video, there are people in the video that did not help out.

ABC news: 83-YEAR-OLD ASIAN MAN SAYS DRUG DEALER CAME TO HIS AID AFTER SAN FRANCISCO ATTACK

"The street people helped me. They were so kind, I couldn't believe it. A drug dealer gave me a cane and he said 'you should have it,'" said the 83-year-old victim.
https://youtu.be/ta8RbNdPow0

A random person helped out that guy and gave the old guy a cane.
Cowards attack elderly people. Someone told me they are in the same category as beating up kids. Really weak.

It is not a state or region thing. It is simply helping out another human being. It is really not hard to do. I have done and I am sure many people here have also helped out other people.

nosuchreality said:
Again, this isn't sounds of a gun, or someone getting beaten.  This is one person, telling a non-observant masker what to do and somewhere between her request and the camera rolling things escalated to dumbass words. 

It's Florida and maybe a polite request was immediated rebutted with raving racist idioicy or maybe there's a little more happening before. We don't really know.  There is a lot context in the bus  between the unmasked passengers that we don't have visibility to. He has a mask, it is pulled down.  So they aren't blatant anti-maskers.

I don't fault her for asking but at a certain point, as Elsa  would say "let it go, let it go"

I am a little curious what the other passnegers thought of the non-videoed exchange.

More importantly, this was in Florida this past week. Everybody on that bus has a mask, bandana or other facial covering except for the guy in question and his female companion whose masks are around their chins and neck. They also are about as spread out as they can get.  So much for the claims of Florida doing it right by not doing anything, because clearly the regular people are.

eyephone said:

nosuchreality said:

Back