Charcoal Grill/Open Fire Grill

HOA says it does not allow charcoal or open fire grills. Does this include propane?

Also, how strict is this? If I have a small charcoal grill, would it really matter? Seems pretty ridiculous

GenericIrvineResident said:
HOA says it does not allow charcoal or open fire grills. Does this include propane?

Also, how strict is this? If I have a small charcoal grill, would it really matter? Seems pretty ridiculous

Unless someone from the HOA actually sees you in your backyard and actually cares to enforce or a neighbor rats you out...I think you'll be fine.

I assume they have the ?charcoal? rule for safety purposes?

Mine is hooked up to the natural gas line. Speaking of which I should use it. Lol

While riding my bike near the orange balloon, I saw these grills for public use.

th

It is strange that some HOA's don't allow it.

They can tell you to cease and desist.  If you repeat after that, HOA fines.

A lot depends on your neighbors.  No complaints or interloping board members and no issue.

Depending on the exact wording, it would seem the intent is more towards the open Santa Maria style open bbq pit than a Weber grill.  Depending on the density, setbacks (zero lot line), grills are a bit problematic on small patios.

I have a smoker I run, the nearest house other than mine where my smoker sits when in use is 70 feet away and prevailing wind is parallel to it.  House directly down wind is 100+.  So they primarily have to deal with the nuisance of apple smoke and BBQ pork butt wafting into their yard all day.

nosuchreality said:

A lot depends on your neighbors.  No complaints or interloping board members and no issue.

Depending on the exact wording, it would seem the intent is more towards the open Santa Maria style open bbq pit than a Weber grill.  Depending on the density, setbacks (zero lot line), grills are a bit problematic on small patios.

I have a smoker I run, the nearest house other than mine where my smoker sits when in use is 70 feet away and prevailing wind is parallel to it.  House directly down wind is 100+.  So they primarily have to deal with the nuisance of apple smoke and BBQ pork butt wafting into their yard all day.

Invite? Also some brisket too please

nosuchreality said:

I mean the main thing I want to do is smoke meats on my small outdoor courtyard/patio. I have traditionally used a Weber Smoky Mountain smoker. Might opt for a small pellet smoker to more closely comply with the rules  :D

nosuchreality said:

I mean the main thing I want to do is smoke meats on my small outdoor courtyard/patio. I have traditionally used a Weber Smoky Mountain smoker. Might opt for a small pellet smoker to more closely comply with the rules  :D

This is where actual wording is very important.

If they say charcoal or open fire grills, well, that is clearly a smoker and not a grill.

8)

I used a BBQ grill on my 2F condo patio for years and nobody said anything.  It was in plain view from the street and neighbors.  The HOA would prefer if you used the grill in common area by the pool.

In contrast, I had a rental property out in Temecula in a cul-de-sac with a retired neighbor who had nothing else to do except file HOA violation complaints, including grass growing in drive way and peeling paint on the mail box.  If you happen to have one of these neighbors, you might get a warning letter from the HOA.

Back