First Time Home Buyer- New home in Irvine or resale in LF/RSM

jonkjiao

Greeting all,

I relocated to Irvine last year from NJ and love it here so far. I currently rent an apartment at Irvine Spectrum. So now that I decided to stay here long term (at least for the future 5 yr ish), buying a home seems logical.

My target is 500k-650k, 2b. I've been looking at the resale first and found some decent listings in RSM and foothill. Those places have some nice condo from 1990s that are in good condition with very low HOA (less than 200) and makes a lot of sense.

However, after looking at the market for a few months it seems that you'd at least bid 20-30k more for those hot listings. At which point it's easily stretching my budget and downplay cash.

I recently noticed that MDL Irvine has a 3-story condo for 625k. The HOA is also low. And I like the proximity to asian food and grocery (I'm Asian, so it's def a plus). The neighborhood is shitty and the floorplan is meh, but it is a new build and I think it's an easy conversion to an investment property in the future due to the proximity to Irvine CBD and UCI students.

So which would you recommend? I'm sure there's other aspects that I might missed.

Back