Odors from asphalt plant in Irvine spark frustration, fear, anger

Haven't heard much about the issue and thought it was already solved.  Looks like the residents have to live with it.

I live near the plant and let me tell you, every day I wake up suffocating from the toxic air.  My children all have serious defects related to the asphalt plant.  I am so full of anger, fear, and frustration.  People are falling to the ground with only the most mild outdoor physical exertion.  It's absolutely awful and everyone who isn't also full of the same outrage should be ashamed of their complacency.  Absolutely terrible what they're doing over at the asphalt plant.  Literally killing unborn children on a daily basis.  Unbelievable.

Well there is certainly an odor.  I have smelled it myself.  Unfortunately if you smell odor then you are definitely exposed to toxic chemicals.  I truly feel bad for those people living there.  Im sure many are completely oblivious to this whole situation however.

eyephone said:
Ever since they did the pay to read their articles. I don?t even click the oc register link.

Block cookies on their site and I forgot what else and you can get around pay wall easily with them.

Ever been in a parking garage?  You've breathed toxic chemicals.  Let's ban parking garages.  Ever burned food in your house?  Yep, toxic chemicals.  Let's ban cooking at home.  What about workers in facilities that work with plastics?  Yep, let's put them out of work and put the owners in jail. What about the workers in the asphalt plant?  And the workers that spread asphalt?  And the people within a 5 mile radius of asphalt spreading?  Ban it all.

someguy said:
Ever been in a parking garage?  You've breathed toxic chemicals.  Let's ban parking garages.  Ever burned food in your house?  Yep, toxic chemicals.  Let's ban cooking at home.  What about workers in facilities that work with plastics?  Yep, let's put them out of work and put the owners in jail. What about the workers in the asphalt plant?  And the workers that spread asphalt?  And the people within a 5 mile radius of asphalt spreading?  Ban it all.

It is all preference. I never complained about this topic. But you are going at it wrong. Let the people who are %u201Ceffected%u201D confront or address the problem.
This does not sound like a slip and fall incident and they are making it up.
I mean they spend big bucks to buy their house. Who knows it has an impact on their overall health? (Just saying and not accusing anybody. It is just a simple question.)

As I previously mentioned, I will never live by a freeway, unless I have no other option. I guess I have to add, I will never live by an asphalt company.

someguy said:

Im sure spending a few minutes in a parking garage or the amount of chemicals from cooking is the same as the constant exposure of exhaust from an asphalt plant near your place of dwelling.  Great analogy and a great point made.  You win. 

eyephone said:
someguy said:

It is all preference. I never complained about this topic. But you are going at it wrong. Let the people who are %u201Ceffected%u201D confront or address the problem.
I mean they spend big bucks to buy their house. Who knows it has an impact on their overall health? (Just saying and not accusing anybody. It is just a simple question.)

As I previously mentioned, I will never live by a freeway, unless I have no other option. I guess I have to add, I will never live by an asphalt company.

A reasonable response.

On the other hand, the ferocity of someguy's response make it sound like he has something to lose.  Property values would be my guess.

I'm 100% in support of your right to live away from freeways and asphalt plants.  But wouldn't it be ridiculous if you moved next to a freeway and then started complaining that the freeway is there?  Or demanding compensation from the seller for not telling you the freeway was there?  Or running around placing signs around your neighborhood about how there's a freeway sending harmful toxic chemicals nearby?  Or making complaints to your city council to shut the freeway down?

AAS has been there well before anyone closed escrow in nearby communities.

I live within a mile of AAS.  The wind blows their smoke east towards Santiago canyon 99% of the time.  Every now and then, maybe a few times per year in the morning, there's a gentle breeze blowing from the plant towards my house and the faint smell of asphalt is detectable if I'm outside.  Then after an hour or so the wind picks up or shifts and it's gone.  It's not a big deal. 

This "frustration, fear, anger" headline is trying to drum up emotions and outrage.  This isn't journalism.  Journalism should educate me with facts.  Tell me whether AAS changed something about their smoke release or treatment process since homeowners moved in.  Educate me about what the pollution laws are and whether AAS has violated any.  Educate me about what particulates are being released, what their concentrations are when it reaches home owners, how often it happens, and what levels are harmful to people.  Tell me some potential solutions to mitigate the problem.  Tell me about the pros/cons of those solutions.  Tell me about the benefits of having an asphalt plant there.  But headlines like these are garbage designed to get people upset and get views for the publisher.

kpatnps said:
eyephone said:
someguy said:

A reasonable response.

On the other hand, the ferocity of someguy's response make it sound like he has something to lose.  Property values would be my guess.

I'm definitely an idiot, but I'm not so misguided to think that my idiotic internet posts could influence property values.

someguy said:
I'm 100% in support of your right to live away from freeways and asphalt plants.  But wouldn't it be ridiculous if you moved next to a freeway and then started complaining that the freeway is there?  Or demanding compensation from the seller for not telling you the freeway was there?  Or running around placing signs around your neighborhood about how there's a freeway sending harmful toxic chemicals nearby?  Or making complaints to your city council to shut the freeway down?

AAS has been there well before anyone closed escrow in nearby communities.

I live within a mile of AAS.  The wind blows their smoke east towards Santiago canyon 99% of the time.  Every now and then, maybe a few times per year in the morning, there's a gentle breeze blowing from the plant towards my house and the faint smell of asphalt is detectable if I'm outside.  Then after an hour or so the wind picks up or shifts and it's gone.  It's not a big deal. 

This "frustration, fear, anger" headline is trying to drum up emotions and outrage.  This isn't journalism.  Journalism should educate me with facts.  Tell me whether AAS changed something about their smoke release or treatment process since homeowners moved in.  Educate me about what the pollution laws are and whether AAS has violated any.  Educate me about what particulates are being released, what their concentrations are when it reaches home owners, how often it happens, and what levels are harmful to people.  Tell me some potential solutions to mitigate the problem.  Tell me about the pros/cons of those solutions.  Tell me about the benefits of having an asphalt plant there.  But headlines like these are garbage designed to get people upset and get views for the publisher.

Well now you are making some sense.  Its one thing to minimize the dangers of these chemicals and another to ask these homebuyers to take some responsibility in purchasing there.  I agree with you, homeowners should take some responsibility for purchasing there.  The builders also should have known not to build there. 

I disagree with you, however, that it is not a big deal.  Just because you cant smell it or think the breeze blows the other way, it doesnt mean you are not exposed to it.  You cant sense radiation, most air pollution, and numerous other hazards but it doesnt mean you are not being affected by them.  Of course someone will say " well you cant avoid all health hazards".  Yes this is true, however this is not an all or nothing event.  Does your body need any additional toxic chemicals than what it is getting already?  How much more dangerous could a constant flow of asphalt fumes be relative to other exposures such as the occasional car fumes in the garage, etc. 

Like eyephone, I would never live near a freeway nor this asphalt plant.  If someone got sick, the regret would be unimaginable. 

someguy said:
kpatnps said:
eyephone said:
someguy said:

A reasonable response.

I'm definitely an idiot, but I'm not so misguided to think that my idiotic internet posts could influence property values.

Idiot, no.  I agree any internet posts would influence property values, however the thought of property values probably influences your words.

Back