Gelson?s Markets to be acquired by owner of Don Quijote, Marukai stores

When Whole Foods opened I thought Gelson's was going to get steamrolled.  Nope, not even after 2 Whole Foods.  Gelson's have their loyal customers willing to pay more for same products in exchange for um...  better shopping experience?

The hazard pay increase for markets would possibly hurt business with thin margins.
This does not bother me. Because I never shopped at Gelsons.

momopi said:
When Whole Foods opened I thought Gelson's was going to get steamrolled.  Nope, not even after 2 Whole Foods.  Gelson's have their loyal customers willing to pay more for same products in exchange for um...  better shopping experience?

My wife loves shopping at Gelsons, she says it's just really pleasant. She doesn't like Whole Foods, which is odd to me because I think of them as pretty direct competitors.

irvinehomeowner said:
Irvine could use a Tokyo Central. :)

Most definitely. It was rumored that Tokyo Central was going to take over at Diamond Jamboree but that got nixed. I love Tokyo Central but hate driving out to Costa Mesa regularly for it.

I go to the Tokyo Central in Yorba Linda.  I find their meat department is better than Mitsuwa.

Speaking of meat departments, I find that the Diamond Bar H Mart has the best meat department overall other ones.  The way it is displayed is really well done.

Tokyo Central's bento boxes and prepared foods are superior to Mitsuwa. Mitsuwa's food court is amazing though.

HMart said:
Haha wow. One day we can get some Hibiki at Gelsons.

The Pavilions by Orchard Hills has had Hibiki Harmony in stock the past few times I have checked.  I'm still on the hunt for Yamazaki 12 year. 

ndmaynard said:
HMart said:

The Pavilions by Orchard Hills has had Hibiki Harmony in stock the past few times I have checked.  I'm still on the hunt for Yamazaki 12 year.

The only place I've found Yamazaki is overseas and shipping can get pricey, they are slightly smaller 70cl bottles .  Best is to buy multiple/different bottles as it cuts down on shipping costs, almost pulled the trigger on $800-$900 on whiskeys/scotches, but I stopped myself from getting yelled at by my better half.

I would be happy with a Tokyo Central too.

I honestly never considered Gelson's and Whole Foods direct competitors. They seem so different from one another. Gelson's always reminds me of old people. Also, they have a heavy Jewish following and offer many kosher foods. Gelson's is overpriced, but one thing I like is that they carry a lot of brands from LA that you can't find anywhere else.

ndmaynard said:
HMart said:

I found a few bottles of Yamazaki 12 and Hakushu 12 in Albertsons (Central Coast) a few weeks ago when I visited. Immediately got all they have on the shelves. It's out there, just have to keep looking.

smalllots said:
ndmaynard said:
HMart said:

I found a few bottles of Yamazaki 12 and Hakushu 12 in Albertsons (Central Coast) a few weeks ago when I visited. Immediately got all they have on the shelves. It's out there, just have to keep looking.

Curious what was the price of each?

Back