Two Car Seats Configuration

My wife is preggers with #2. I spent an hour yesterday rearranging two car seats in the family car. It has 3 rows. Cant decide what is optimal.

How do you guys have your car seats arranged in the suv?

Congratulations! Best wishes for the new baby.

I don't have good advice for car seats as you can tell from my kid's picture  :)

9b73e186e1ecbad83f7008d3a1f3a6c9.jpg

We have two SUV?s (two rows). In both cars we just have both car seats in the standard rear passenger locations.

I just had them split in the back when my kids were younger, one behind driver, one behind passenger. One of the cars we had we were able to put the younger one in the middle.

The safest place for a child to be is in the middle seat. We have two children and both our vehicles have two rows so unfortunately in our circumstance the seats are behind the driver and passenger.

If I had three rows I would absolutely put one each in the middle of the 2nd and 3rd row.

Dr. CA Real Estate said:
Thanks. Even though it limits cargo space think Ill try for middle spots
You mean you're going to put kid1 in middle seat 2nd row and kid2 in middle seat 3rd row?  Sounds odd but I guess it's possible.  I say just put them both in the 2nd row, with the kid you like most in the middle.  ;)

Is 3rd row middle seat better than 2nd row seat behind driver? In a major rear end collision, wouldn?t most 3rd rows get smooshed?

Dr. CA Real Estate said:
iacrenter said:
Congratulations! Best wishes for the new baby.

I don't have good advice for car seats as you can tell from my kid's picture  :)

9b73e186e1ecbad83f7008d3a1f3a6c9.jpg

My neck hurts looking at this pic

Thank goodness safety technology has come along way

Dr. CA Real Estate said:
My wife is preggers with #2. I spent an hour yesterday rearranging two car seats in the family car. It has 3 rows. Cant decide what is optimal.
How do you guys have your car seats arranged in the suv?

Try visiting (make appointment) your local CHP office and have an officer look over your SUV and make recommendations.

I found this blog while looking for my first car seat, I think the author is pretty knowledgeable.

Two pages may help:
- Which car seat position is safest?behind the driver, in the center, or behind the passenger?
- Is the third row safe for children, car seats and passengers?

Quick extract: "An analysis of crash frequencies and fatalities shows us that the most dangerous places for a child to sit in a vehicle are likely the front passenger seat, followed the outboard seats of the second row, followed by the outboard seats of the third row.

I?d estimate the safest places for a child to sit in a vehicle are the center third and center second row seats, followed by outboard seats in the third and second rows.
"

Back