Karens

100% fair, although I don?t think it will come close to the snowflake thread in examples...nor will it be as astonishingly funny in its hypocrisy but by all means...let the games begin!

I?ll start...look at all these Karen?s bitching about their white privileged need for heat. Don?t they know the planet is burning up and we need wind power to replace fossil fuel?  What do they need heat and power for anyways?

More than 2.7million Texans are without power after wind turbines FREEZE as coast-to-coast Winter Storm Uri brings perilous ice, heavy snowfall and dangerously low temperatures to 150 million people

[url]https://mol.im/a/9262809
[/url]

morekaos said:
I?ll start...look at all these Karen?s bitching about their white privileged need for heat. Don?t they know the planet is burning up and we need wind power to replace fossil fuel?  What do they need heat and power for anyways?

More than 2.7million Texans are without power after wind turbines FREEZE as coast-to-coast Winter Storm Uri brings perilous ice, heavy snowfall and dangerously low temperatures to 150 million people

[url]https://mol.im/a/9262809
[/url]

I find it hilarious that Texas (a mainly Red state) wanted their own power grid so that they could be free of gov't regulation. Now that it has failed, they are asking the federal gov't for assistance.

Ted Cruz bashes CA for rolling blackouts and our wildfire situation.
Now his state is in trouble.

fuck that guy.

This extreme weather brought to you by climate change.

zubs said:

fuck that guy.

This weird weather brought to you by climate change.

Talk to the fake financial advisor about global warming lol

zubs said:
Normal people dislike extremes...whether it's weather or politics.

Yeah well he has an entire thread about his opinion that global warming is fake. Did you say anything in there?

But you gave him credit for Shopify when it was jmoney. So maybe you have a bias opinion. Idk

If you think something is true then it is true. 
So what if I think purple font is wrong?  He thinks he's right and I don't care to change his mind.

Did we build the border wall when Trump was president? People will say Trump did build the wall!..he made immigration harder by forcing the Mexican National Guard to repulse the immigrant caravans at their southern border!  And that is true, so the wall was built!

We can twist anything to fit our ideas.

zubs said:
If you think something is true then it is true. 
So what if I think purple font is wrong?  He thinks he's right and I don't care to change his mind.

Did we build the border wall when Trump was president? People will say Trump did build the wall!..he made immigration harder by forcing the Mexican National Guard to repulse the immigrant caravans at their southern border!  And that is true, so the wall was built!

We can twist anything to fit our ideas.

But the wall has nothing to do with the environment.
That?s like me bringing up the real id into this conversation. In the public news there are still breaches in secured airports and in airplanes. (It is out of context, but that is how you brought the wall argument when you are talking about the environment.)

zubs said:

fuck that guy.

This extreme weather brought to you by climate change.

Nature versus nurture debate.

While climate change is having real impacts, Spin and push for dollars/viewers is too.

When the ?news? is sliding in 2nd lowest since then popping out the record 1899 when recapping the records, there is a lot of hype going on.  I see dates of ?79, ?89, 2011, 1951, 1996 etc. lots of different cold across lots of different decades.  In other words, a fairly frequent occurrences when looking at longer cycle events like El Ni?o, La Ni?a etc.

Dallas
Sunday: High of 22?, low of 9?

Coldest high temperature since Feb. 2, 2011 (20?)
New record low temperature for February 14 (old record: 15? in 1906)
New record cold high temperature for February 14 (old record: 27? in 1951)
Coldest temperature since Feb. 4, 1996 (8?)
Average daily temperature of 15.5? was the coldest since Dec. 22, 1990 (14.5?)
Wind chill dropped to -10?
Monday: High of 14?, low of 4?

Coldest temperature since Dec. 23, 1989 (-1?)
Tied for third-coldest daily high temperature on record
Coldest high temperature since Dec. 22, 1989
New record low temperature for Feb. 15 (old record: 15? in 1909)
New record cold high temperature for Feb. 15 (old record: 31? in 1909)
Average daily temperature of 9.0? was the coldest since Dec. 22, 1989 (8.5?)
Wind chill dropped to -16?
Tuesday: High of 18?, low of -2?

New record low temperature for Feb. 16 (old record: 12? in 1903)
New record cold high temperature for Feb. 16 (old record: 32? in 1979)
Coldest temperature since Jan. 31, 1949 (-2?)
Fifth time on record below zero
Wind chill dropped to -12?

morekaos said:

Fake news. It's actually the natural gas plants that have been causing the vast majority of the lost wattage. I know it doesn't fit your narrative. Don't get facts get in the way of a good narrative.
https://abc13.com/frozen-wind-turbi...21-electric-reliability-council-of/10346333/#

Should have just kept good old reliable COAL...

Coal Comfort: Total Collapse in Wind & Solar Output Leaves Freezing Germans Desperate for Coal-Fired Power

Germany now finds itself in the dead of winter. Much of the country has seen considerable snowfall, meaning solar panels are often covered by snow and thus rendered useless. Even without snow cover, the weeks-long overcast sky prevents any noteworthy solar power generation.

Moreover, this winter there have been many long windless periods, and so Germany?s approx. 30,000 wind turbines have been largely out of operation. In a world 100% reliant on green energies, this would mean near 100% darkness at home.

Luckily Germany?s still existing coal and nuclear power infrastructure is (still) there to step in and keep the power on and the country running. This has been the case for Berlin this winter an RBB German television report reveals:

Mexico gets it...

Mexico was once a climate leader ? now it's betting big on coal

Mexico is moving in the opposite direction.

President Andr?s Manuel L?pez Obrador, popularly known as Amlo, has unveiled plans to buy nearly 2m tons of thermal coal from small producers like Rivera. He also plans to reactivate a pair of coal-fired plants on the Texas border, which were being wound down as natural gas and renewables took a more prominent role in Mexico?s energy mix.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/mexico-was-once-a-climate-leader-e2-80-93-now-its-betting-big-on-coal/ar-BB1dH6pR?ocid=uxbndlbing

Looks like a Texas Mayor is a step beyond a Karen.

The failure to deliver basic services has angered countless Texans, including top-ranking elected officials. But in Colorado City, Boyd rejected the notion that municipal governments or utility companies had any obligation to provide paying customers with necessities like heat and running water during a catastrophic winter storm.

?The City and County, along with power providers or any other service owes you NOTHING!? he wrote on Facebook on Tuesday.

Boyd suggested that residents without electricity should simply ?step up and come up with a game plan.? Those without running water could either deal with it, or ?think outside of the box to survive and supply water to your family.? He did not offer any further guidance, such as where safe drinking water or reliable electricity could be found.

?Only the strong will survive and the weak will [perish],? he wrote.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/02/17/texas-mayor-power-outages-colorado/

I love how Texas blames wind turbines, and it sticks. Look at Texas's power mix, think about it, and come back to me if you think (even 100% of) wind turbines freezing could cause power interruption. This is public information.

Now that you did your research, and know that even if all wind turbines went offline a state that gets an inconsequential amount of its power from wind would not be affected meaningfully by all turbines getting frozen, maybe look into wind deployment worldwide.

Turns out, one of the most aggressive wind power deployments is in Norway, a place (if you aren't familiar) is much colder than Texas even in this 'cold' snap.

The term Karen is very insensitive to people named Karen.  It's also quite sexist.  I cringe when I hear people use it.  I wish it were another term that wasn't so insulting to real people that can't change their name.  It's bullyish.

It is what it is. You are welcome to come up with another term.

Have you heard the word FOB in a conversation before? Does that term make your cringe?

spootieho said:
The term Karen is very insensitive to people named Karen.  It's also quite sexist.  I cringe when I hear people use it.  I wish it were another term that wasn't so insulting to real people that can't change their name.  It's bullyish.

eyephone said:
It is what it is. You are welcome to come up with another term.

Have you heard the word FOB in a conversation before? Does that term make your cringe?
Nope, that term doesn't make me cringe. But what you are doing is a logical fallacy.  If there was a term like that to describe these people, then I would have no problem with it. 

And no, I can suggest another term, but that will have no impact.  You know that, but you want to be an asshole to others. 

The term "Karen" does bother me, as I have friends named Karen.  Also, it's pretty sexist.  It also has other implications.  I think the people who use it are hateful individuals who like to mock others.

Back