68 homes priced from low-$400,000 coming to Irvine

I wonder what the limitations are if they get it and decide to resale? Can they sell for market price and pocket out the difference? Also, what would their mello roos be?

sleepy5136 said:
I wonder what the limitations are if they get it and decide to resale? Can they sell for market price and pocket out the difference? Also, what would their mello roos be?

There are income restrictions on the sell side and there needs to be an approval for the listing price and who the buyer is (I sold one of these many years ago in Huntington Beach).  There's a certain time limit like 10-20 years that the restricts are in place for.

Also a time limit on when you can sell or rent out after buying for most of these types of housing. They do check to make sure you're using it as your primary residence.

Dr. CA Real Estate said:
Also a time limit on when you can sell or rent out after buying for most of these types of housing. They do check to make sure you're using it as your primary residence.

Yeah, the City dictates the maximum listing price and requires the buyers to be approved by them before they can close on the purchase (at that was my experience with the City of Huntington Beach).  The closest community to Irvine that has those type of restrictions are the condos over in Tustin Fields (Northwest corner of Harvard/Edinger backing up to the railroad tracks). 

USCTrojanCPA said:
Dr. CA Real Estate said:

Yeah, the City dictates the maximum listing price and requires the buyers to be approved by them before they can close on the purchase (at that was my experience with the City of Huntington Beach).  The closest community to Irvine that has those type of restrictions are the condos over in Tustin Fields (Northwest corner of Harvard/Edinger backing up to the railroad tracks). 

One cousin and a former co-worker both bought those HB restricted income homes. My cousin had since sold but said it was a pain to do so.

irvinehomeowner said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
Dr. CA Real Estate said:

One cousin and a former co-worker both bought those HB restricted income homes. My cousin had since sold but said it was a pain to do so.

Yeah it took about 50 days to close once we went into escrow because the City was making us wait for a few things, it was a pain in the booty because there was no sense of urgency with the city workers that I was dealing with.

Also terrible headaches are some of the senior housing or worse affordable senior. Theres actually two other sections of restricted housing in Irvine; university hills, and another section near UCI I forget the name of right now.

USCTrojanCPA said:
sleepy5136 said:

There are income restrictions on the sell side and there needs to be an approval for the listing price and who the buyer is (I sold one of these many years ago in Huntington Beach).  There's a certain time limit like 10-20 years that the restricts are in place for.

income restrictions after the homeowner got the discounted price and wants to do a resale once the time frame and other requirements are met? So the homeowner can only resale to certain buyers within a given AGI?

sleepy5136 said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
sleepy5136 said:

income restrictions after the homeowner got the discounted price and wants to do a resale once the time frame and other requirements are met? So the homeowner can only resale to certain buyers within a given AGI?

Yes, there are income restrictions based upon the number of people in a household.  The City will review tax returns and paystubs to verify that the buyers do not exceed the predetermined income thresholds. 

USCTrojanCPA said:
sleepy5136 said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
sleepy5136 said:

Yes, there are income restrictions based upon the number of people in a household.  The City will review tax returns and paystubs to verify that the buyers do not exceed the predetermined income thresholds.

oh wow. i didn't know there are buyer restrictions after the 1st buyer has bought the home. I can see why there are income restrictions for the first buyer, didn't know that future buyers would also need to meet the income requirements.

sleepy5136 said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
sleepy5136 said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
sleepy5136 said:

oh wow. i didn't know there are buyer restrictions after the 1st buyer has bought the home. I can see why there are income restrictions for the first buyer, didn't know that future buyers would also need to meet the income requirements.

Well, the City wants to maintain the properties as affordable housing units for a longer period of time.  I believe there is also something that is recorded on title regarding these restrictions. 

Dr. CA Real Estate said:
Also terrible headaches are some of the senior housing or worse affordable senior. Theres actually two other sections of restricted housing in Irvine; university hills, and another section near UCI I forget the name of right now.

The folks who are able to get homes in University Hills have it really good. The location/views are great. They have the same floorplans seen in other parts of Irvine for half the price. I'm sure the selling process can be a pain there though.

irviniteeee said:
Dr. CA Real Estate said:

The folks who are able to get homes in University Hills have it really good. The location/views are great. They have the same floorplans seen in other parts of Irvine for half the price. I'm sure the selling process can be a pain there though.

Aren't some of those homes for university faculty (UCI) and only for them, possibly lease or buy when they are working then must move out when they retire/quit? I heard this 10+ years ago, so I'm sure things could have changed or I was misinformed. 

That must be part of the restrictions lol. I would love to read the CCRs and know more of the details for that area.

akkord said:
irviniteeee said:
Dr. CA Real Estate said:

Aren't some of those homes for university faculty (UCI) and only for them, possibly lease or buy when they are working then must move out when they retire/quit? I heard this 10+ years ago, so I'm sure things could have changed or I was misinformed.

Everything in there is for UCI faculty with the exception of 2 tiny cul-de-sacs that have a handful of custom homes. As far as I know, faculty can still live there even when they retire.

Back