West facing house is bad?

jz112896

Just looked into a house and everything looks ok. Only the backyard,kitchen,dining room, family room and MB are facing west. Is it really hot in the summer? Any experience with west facing house?

Setting any feng shui aside, what is your preference? Some prefer their backyard getting light in the morning, others... prefer it in the afternoon.

If I had my choice, I would prefer the sun to rise in the front/garage of my house... and to set in the backyard. I've had both and having the sun set in the front/garage just seems to make the home hotter at night during the summer.

I don?t concern any FengShui. Personally, I think north and south facing has air circulation. I am new to CA. I don?t know how hot will be here in the summer. If the most activity areas are facing west, so the back yard is useless.

My home is like that.  My backyard, kitchen, dining room, great room and MB are facing southwest.  Despite double glazed windows, they are hotter than the rooms facing northeast in summer.  But the rooms you hang around most are bright and filled with CA sunshine.  I don't want to live in a dark cave.  Also Santa Ana wind blows from northeast to southwest and I don't want the wind to blow right at my sliding door and large great room windows.  Also garage is slightly cooler, because it's facing northeast.  The room above garage does get hotter than other rooms.  It'll be better if the house has a CA room next to the living room, because the house will still be bright but slightly cooler.

Definitely can get hot. Try to experience the home on a sunny day and see what the temperature differences are from the shaded back side the house and the front of the house. 2-3 pm would be best this time of year. Any large trees? An option is also to increase insulation in the attic on the front side.

Back