Need suggestion on turtle rock Glen house

Check out the google street view, I think someone across the street just did the same thing.  That location is awesome, very private at the end of a cul-de-sac with no neighbors on one side, and no houses behind.  You could have a huge side yard. 

I say go for it, you?re not going to find a location like that with good lot size and privacy too often.

Thanks for the input.  HOA restriction is my main concern.  Right now since it is one level and the trees behind is quite tall so it is very dark inside.  So only way to solve the issue is to rebuild a two-story house with more set back in the backyard.  Would HOA answer specific question on rebuild for non current owners?

The HOA standards, CC&Rs are all online.
https://turtlerockglenhoa.org/association/architectural-information/

The current newsletter specifically calls out the need for all exterior work to be approved before start of work.

Their standards doc calls out various thing and notably impact on neighboring and other association properties.  If the 2 story cuts anyone?s view lines, it?s probably DOA.

6. Design Compatibility, Composition, Conformity and Harmony. The proposed Improvements must be attractive, compatible and in harmony with the architectural characteristics of the existing home and the neighborhood setting. The following will be considered by the Committee:
a. Compatibility is defined as similarity in architectural style, quality of workmanship, similar use of materials, and color and construction details.
b. Use of architectural design features to avoid ?flat? or ?massive? areas and enhance the quality of the overall Improvement is encouraged.
c. The following partial list of types and styles of housing and housing elements are specifically discouraged:
1. Housing styles inconsistent with the established architectural character of the community and overly thematic styles including current design trends to which labels cannot be assigned.
2. Large two (2) story arched entries and colonnades.
3. Large monolithic roof designs, flat roof designs and mansard roofs.
4. Second story decks or balconies on the side of the home which may impact adjacent neighbors.
5. Excessive second story elements overhanging ground level elements.
6. Excessively walled, fenced or enclosed front yards.

HOME IMPROVEMENT APPLICATION PROCESSING - V Turtle Rock Glen Community Association
NOTE: This list is not exhaustive and each plan will be evaluated on its own merits. In addition to the Basis of Decisions enumerated above, the Standards established for the Garden Homes and Townhomes must also be satisfied. In the event of conflict, the more restrictive Standard shall apply.

Unless someone from the HOA is on TI, I would suggest calling them directly and telling them your plans and see what they say.

I see a good number of rebuilds in Turtle Rock so I don't think it's a non-starter.

Turtle Rock has tons of teardown/rebuilds, so I don't see why you wouldn't be able to do the same. The only thing I could see being restrictive is the fact that the home is next to the trail. They might have certain specifications you have to abide by, especially if they try to classify it as a nature preserve or open space.

That being said, I love the location of that home. It's rare that you find a home with that kind of location in TR. It's very private. Also a very convenient spot if you have children who walk to Turtle Rock elementary or Uni. Since the trail is right next to this home, they wouldn't have to walk along the side of Turtle Rock Dr with all the speeders.

I'm actually thinking about upgrading my home...looking for the ultimate unicorn = single-story view lot with a 3+ garage that can fit an infinity pool. So Turtle Rock is on my radar screen as it has some nice single-story homes with view lots but some of the floor plans are just way too funky with low ceilings and I'm wondering if it's worth buying a teardown and scraping it to build a cool single story home with high ceilings or should I just focus on a Quail Hill, Turtle Ridge, or Newport Coast unicorn to pop up. 

USCTrojanCPA said:
I'm actually thinking about upgrading my home...looking for the ultimate unicorn = single-story view lot with a 3+ garage that can fit an infinity pool. So Turtle Rock is on my radar screen as it has some nice single-story homes with view lots but some of the floor plans are just way too funky with low ceilings and I'm wondering if it's worth buying a teardown and scraping it to build a cool single story home with high ceilings or should I just focus on a Quail Hill, Turtle Ridge, or Newport Coast unicorn to pop up.

You can't go wrong with any of those communities. I've always seen Turtle Rock as one of the original benchmark communities in Orange County, so I personally would buy a home or lot there and redo it. My vote would go to Turtle Ridge over Newport Coast because they're neighbors but the prices are so different. Newport Coast is beautiful, but the big price difference would lead me to Turtle Ridge.

USCTrojanCPA said:

Do you need a real estate agent to represent you?  ;D

Or a lender...

irviniteeee said:
USCTrojanCPA said:

You can't go wrong with any of those communities. I've always seen Turtle Rock as one of the original benchmark communities in Orange County, so I personally would buy a home or lot there and redo it. My vote would go to Turtle Ridge over Newport Coast because they're neighbors but the prices are so different. Newport Coast is beautiful, but the big price difference would lead me to Turtle Ridge.

Yeah, there are 3 tracts in Turtle Ridge that have single story view lot homes (Bontanica, Amberhill, and La Cime...the last 2 have 3-car garages).  I do most of my business in Irvine so I prefer to stay closer to the action by buying in Irvine.

Cares said:
USCTrojanCPA said:

Or a lender...

Can you do jumbo loans $2m to $2.5m for self employed folks?  If so, we should talk.

USCTrojanCPA said:
irviniteeee said:
USCTrojanCPA said:

Yeah, there are 3 tracts in Turtle Ridge that have single story view lot homes (Bontanica, Amberhill, and La Cime...the last 2 have 3-car garages).  I do most of my business in Irvine so I prefer to stay closer to the action by buying in Irvine.

I like the high ceilings in the great room and the rounded dining nook at Amberhill. La Cima is one of my favorite tracts in all of Irvine, so that's a no brainer for me. Some of the La Cima prices rival Newport Coast and Shady Canyon which makes the decision tougher.

irviniteeee said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
irviniteeee said:
USCTrojanCPA said:

I like the high ceilings in the great room and the rounded dining nook at Amberhill. La Cima is one of my favorite tracts in all of Irvine, so that's a no brainer for me. Some of the La Cima prices rival Newport Coast and Shady Canyon which makes the decision tougher.

I totally agree with you, the La Cima is a great floor plan.  But at that price level, I can get the Sycamores Shady Canyon single-story home.  I'm not quite ready to pull the trigger because I need to keep my liquidity high to help buy homes for all cash for my good clients in this crazy market.

USCTrojanCPA said:
Cares said:
USCTrojanCPA said:

Or a lender...

Can you do jumbo loans $2m to $2.5m for self employed folks?  If so, we should talk.

Jumbo capped at $2m with 20% down min. We can go over $2m but it would be non-QM loan.

Cares said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
Cares said:
USCTrojanCPA said:

Or a lender...

Jumbo capped at $2m with 20% down min. We can go over $2m but it would be non-QM loan.

The big banks also go 20% down up to $2m and then go 25% down above $2m which is fine as long as the rate is attractive. Not sure if I wanna stomach a mortgage much about $2m though, we'll see.

I have clients that have gone through the tear build process in the turtle neighborhoods and know architects and contracts familiar with HOA and process. I would say intermediate level compared to doing it in say Santa Ana or Crystal Cove.

USCTrojanCPA said:
Cares said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
Cares said:
USCTrojanCPA said:

Or a lender...

The big banks also go 20% down up to $2m and then go 25% down above $2m which is fine as long as the rate is attractive. Not sure if I wanna stomach a mortgage much about $2m though, we'll see.

I have a turtle home the owner will take less then 2 on. Its an elevated pad. Can tear down if you chose but just a remodel can work.

Dr. CA Real Estate said:
I have clients that have gone through the tear build process in the turtle neighborhoods and know architects and contracts familiar with HOA and process. I would say intermediate level compared to doing it in say Santa Ana or Crystal Cove.

USCTrojanCPA said:
Cares said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
Cares said:
USCTrojanCPA said:

Or a lender...

I have a turtle home the owner will take less then 2 on. Its an elevated pad. Can tear down if you chose but just a remodel can work.

PM me the address so I can google it.

Back