Tesla Model S / X 2021 Refresh

Cares

Thoughts or opinions on the refreshed S and X?

I personally am a fan of everything except the steering wheel. I'm considering ordering an X and selling my Model 3. Got to get my Hummer Law loophole vehicle you know?

Test drive it, I think they allow for take home test drive?

I was looking into it as well, but can't justify how much the X cost more than the Y (sizewise, it's like a honda upgrading from crv to passport or pilot, difference is 10k, not like X/Y where it's > $30k).  And personally don't like the falcon wing, very gimmicky and expensive to repair.  And can't put roof racks.  Sliding door (like a minivan) would be great.

I'd rather have the cybertruck over the X.  Qualifies for the GVWR > 6k.

Ya they're getting a lot of bad press on the steering wheel so they might change it for production.  If not, I 'm sure there will be some 3rd parties that sell add-ons to that wheel in carbon fiber or wrapped leather for a few hundred bucks you can make it a normal size wheel. 

I like the refresh though, subtle but not offputting.

If you're self employed, Model X can be written off with 100% depreciation in year 1 due to gross weight being greater than 6000 lbs. Effectively making a $100k car into maybe $70k depending on your tax bracket and liability.

So as I weigh my options an X at $70k vs a Y at $60k, I would much rather get an X at this price point.

If you write off the entire depreciation in the first year, when you sell it later on, wouldn't you get taxed to your self employed company on the gain of sale?  Unless you sell it for a really low amount (on paper)?

Yes if I sold there would be depreciation recapture. But in this situation I wouldn't ever sell the vehicle to avoid it. Or wait until it is 10+ years old and the recapture is minimal.

But this is the same with any business vehicle whether I depreciate it through 1 year or 5 years.

Wouldn?t the Y also be eligible for write off as well (not the full amount like ones with gvwr > 6000 lbs)?  If your example the X would get you $30k in the deduction, a Y would get you at least $5k?

So it?s more like considering an X for $70k or performance Y at $55k (or a LR Y at $45k). If this was for me, it?s not really a slam dunk decision because of my disdain of the falcon wings.  I?d really take a lot of test driving with both. 

Of course this all assumes it?s for business use, have biz income enough to offset, etc

Teslas are nice. But I personally avoid it like the plague as there have been quite a lot of reliability issues down the line. Repairs are also a PITA.

Back