Quarter rounds for hardwood floors

jyeh74

My understanding is that the quarter round is to hide the gap and allow for expansion because of the tongue and groove on the side of the hardwood.

Isn?t it better just to rip out the baseboards, install the hardwood to the wall and then install new baseboard ontop of it so you don?t need quarter round?  But how would the tongue and groove fit to the wall since it doesn?t connect at the end?

irvineboy said:
My understanding is that the quarter round is to hide the gap and allow for expansion because of the tongue and groove on the side of the hardwood.

Isn?t it better just to rip out the baseboards, install the hardwood to the wall and then install new baseboard ontop of it so you don?t need quarter round?  But how would the tongue and groove fit to the wall since it doesn?t connect at the end?

The property way to install non-carpet flooring is to run the flooring up to the wall and then install the baseboard on top of the flooring.  Whenever I see those quarter rounds on flooring was done on the cheap.

USCTrojanCPA said:
irvineboy said:

The property way to install non-carpet flooring is to run the flooring up to the wall and then install the baseboard on top of the flooring.  Whenever I see those quarter rounds on flooring was done on the cheap.

Does that typically cost a lot more to do in terms of labor and baseboards?

USCTrojanCPA said:
irvineboy said:

Or... they already have nice baseboards and don't want to remove them and install new ones.

We've done both in different homes, replaced our baseboards so no quarter rounds and also installed with existing baseboards and had to use the quarter rounds.

Agree with not wishing to replace quality baseboards. Another option would be base shoe, which is slightly narrower in width when compared to quarter round. Just make sure installer doesn?t destroy your original baseboards if you are hoping to keep them. Quality finish work is rare.

Kangen.Irvine said:
Agree with not wishing to replace quality baseboards. Another option would be base shoe, which is slightly narrower in width when compared to quarter round. Just make sure installer doesn?t destroy your original baseboards if you are hoping to keep them. Quality finish work is rare.

Just to give someone an idea of what Kangen is referring to:

7c2a6a214360e01d3abae7433e3c99bb.png

There are many types of base shoe (or shoe molding) you can use and it can be basic or decorative to match your baseboards.

irvinehomeowner said:
Or... they already have nice baseboards and don't want to remove them and install new ones.

We've done both in different homes, replaced our baseboards so no quarter rounds and also installed with existing baseboards and had to use the quarter rounds.

Baseboards can always be salvaged if desired.  It just takes time, patience, skill and the right tools.  I'm guessing 98% of the time either the person doing the work doesn't have the requisite qualities, and/or the person paying for it doesn't have the requisite wallet. 

I admit to using painted MDF mouldings, but I'll never resort to quarter rounds as a shortcut.  I agree with USC; they look cheap.  Like a bumper held on with duct tape.  In 5 years you'll have no idea how much money you saved, but it will be a constant reminder up until the next remodel that you did, indeed, save money.

USCTrojanCPA said:
The property way to install non-carpet flooring is to run the flooring up to the wall and then install the baseboard on top of the flooring.

tenor.png

Hey guys - Any good local flooring companies recommendations?  I'm looking to re-do flooring for a new construction to a few months. 

There is a sticky thread in Owners Issues(?).

Some of us have used Hardwood Flooring Depot in Irvine.

There is also another guy who uses Provenza but I forgot what they were called.

paydawg said:
Hey guys - Any good local flooring companies recommendations?  I'm looking to re-do flooring for a new construction to a few months.

Venetian and Tompkins were the top 2 when I was vetting.

Tompkins went above and beyond for me, the floors that came in were not even close to the sample, they took it all back and said we'll give you your deposit back if you want to hold off on flooring.  The one we picked wasn't something that every company had a similar color of, too bad, now we're probably going to wait a couple of years until the kids get older to start shopping again.

Unfortunately, I cannot recommend Sterling Carpet & Flooring (Anaheim/Mission Viejo).

As for baseshoe, it?s not decorative. I recommend Ganahl Lumber; we always paint a few coats prior to installation making sure to use Flotrol to thin the paint, then insist upon a pin nailer for the final install.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-01-27 at 5.56.27 PM.png
    0 bytes · Views: 81
akkord said:
paydawg said:

Tompkins went above and beyond for me, the floors that came in were not even close to the sample, they took it all back and said we'll give you your deposit back if you want to hold off on flooring.  The one we picked wasn't something that every company had a similar color of, too bad, now we're probably going to wait a couple of years until the kids get older to start shopping again.

I just want to second that Tompkins did a great job on our floors & provided great service to us. We would highly recommend.

moc said:
akkord said:
paydawg said:

I just want to second that Tompkins did a great job on our floors & provided great service to us. We would highly recommend.

+1  They did flooring for both of my homes and I refer them to my clients.

Who did the install at Tompkins?

moc said:
akkord said:
paydawg said:

trematix said:
Who did the install at Tompkins?

moc said:
akkord said:
paydawg said:

I think the guy who came out was Cesar, he was there 30min before he packed up and left, I can't attest to their install since it was never put in, but CS they are awesome.

Back