New Restaurant Spots in The District

Two Mexican places... nice!

But The District seems doomed... even more so with this pandemic.

Good luck to those new stores!

irvinehomeowner said:

Yea, I only go there for Costco/Whole Foods. I hope one of these Mexican places are worth going to. Irvine doesn't have any decent Mexican places. ChaCha's is bland.

GenericIrvineResident said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Yea, I only go there for Costco/Whole Foods. I hope one of these Mexican places are worth going to. Irvine doesn't have any decent Mexican places. ChaCha's is bland.

I go to Del Taco with a coupon of course. Tbh

eyephone said:

Not going to lie, I did this too when I was working in the office, I still have the GCs from the 2019 BF deal, and Del takes expired coupons like Carls.

I do like the chips and salsa at Javier's too, that and a couple margarita was perfect for after work.

Nguyen80 said:
Javiers is pretty good Mexican food

Never tried but I always got the vibe that it was all looks and that it probably tasted bland. Had a similar experience with ChaChas. Mainly seems like upscale/good ambiance, but mediocre and faux-Mexican food. Similar to a PF Changs for Mexican food.

Habana, while not Mexican, seems to be the only Latino restaurant that has been able to achieve both upscale vibe and good food.

akkord said:
eyephone said:

Not going to lie, I did this too when I was working in the office, I still have the GCs from the 2019 BF deal, and Del takes expired coupons like Carls.

I do like the chips and salsa at Javier's too, that and a couple margarita was perfect for after work.

8)

GenericIrvineResident said:
Nguyen80 said:
Javiers is pretty good Mexican food

Never tried but I always got the vibe that it was all looks and that it probably tasted bland. Had a similar experience with ChaChas. Mainly seems like upscale/good ambiance, but mediocre and faux-Mexican food. Similar to a PF Changs for Mexican food.

Habana, while not Mexican, seems to be the only Latino restaurant that has been able to achieve both upscale vibe and good food.

Oh I like the special Kobe beef burger they have on Thursdays at Habanas

Not impressed by Habana (are we talking about that Cuban place in the Spectrum?). Bella Cuba in Costa Mesa is so much better... they used to work at Versaille in LA if you are familiar with them.

Javier's food is okay... chips and salsa are great and the food is decent, just way overpriced.

irvinehomeowner said:
Not impressed by Habana (are we talking about that Cuban place in the Spectrum?). Bella Cuba in Costa Mesa is so much better... they used to work at Versaille in LA if you are familiar with them.

Javier's food is okay... chips and salsa are great and the food is decent, just way overpriced.

Versailles in MDR area is/was excellent - never found a Cuban place as good

OCtoSV said:
irvinehomeowner said:

For Cuban in OC I have only tried Havana and Bella Cuba and agree with IHO that Bella Cuba is much better.  It?s is almost a 100% knockoff of Versailles in LA. The dishes that I get are indistinguishable from Versailles

OCtoSV said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Price better than Porto?s?

OCtoSV said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Like qwercuban says... go to Bella Cuba by South Coast... you'll feel like you are at Versailles, even down to the bread they serve. They are basically OC Versailles.

@eyephone: Porto's is different, that's more like a Cuban bakery/lunch place. Wish there was a Porto's closer to Irvine.

qwerty said:
OCtoSV said:
irvinehomeowner said:

For Cuban in OC I have only tried Havana and Bella Cuba and agree with IHO that Bella Cuba is much better.  It?s is almost a 100% knockoff of Versailles in LA. The dishes that I get are indistinguishable from Versailles

Nice! I guess I found a new place to try

My mother used to run a shop in Culver City down the street from first Versailles on Venice Blvd.  We knew many of their workers (all Mexican) and for whatever the reason, when we asked them for recommendations they always say fish/seafood.  The workers had high opinion of fried fish and paella, less so for signature Cuban dishes.  ?_?  Guess they didn't think chicken and rice or Cuban sandwiches was very special.  I like arroz con pollo.

I recall Habana in Costa Mesa used to have whole roasted pig on weekend.  Might still have some pictures stashed away.

Back