Covid UK Strain, children & masks

nosuchreality

Has anybody sourced more recent research regarding the UK Strain impacts on children or mask dependencies?

All the info I'm finding is from early December, however the news was ringing the alarm bell today about the UK strain impacting children much more and non-N95/KN95 type masks be better than nothing but much less effective than they are against the first wave strain (apparently variants A, B, & C).

Since we seem to be receiving a notice every three days or so from our school about a child, staff or district worker being on campus testing positive and the UK strain is in Socal, trying to determine our overall game plan of upgrading my kid's masks or going back to DL.

Upgrading your mask to N95 will give you the highest level of protection regardless of strain. Don't forget about eye protection as well.

iacrenter said:
Upgrading your mask to N95 will give you the highest level of protection regardless of strain. Don't forget about eye protection as well.

I am the first person in TI that openly said I wear a face shield.
Because I do not trust no one. Someone?s accidental sneeze or simply micro splash when someone talks can become your problem.

Sorry some people take this tooooo lightly.

nosuchreality said:
Has anybody sourced more recent research regarding the UK Strain impacts on children or mask dependencies?

I haven't come across anything regarding impacts on children regarding the new strains.

In regards to masks, only N95 or better are effective. The message has always been twisted around due to supply issues. Any mask is better than none but only N95 or better will actually protect you. Protecting the eyes is important too though I've only wore sunglasses and not a face shield which would obviously be better. I've chosen to limit how much I go out and am able to work from home and have kept my kids home.

zovall said:
nosuchreality said:

I haven't come across anything regarding impacts on children regarding the new strains.

In regards to masks, only N95 or better are effective. The message has always been twisted around due to supply issues. Any mask is better than none but only N95 or better will actually protect you. Protecting the eyes is important too though I've only wore sunglasses and not a face shield which would obviously be better. I've chosen to limit how much I go out and am able to work from home and have kept my kids home.

I think as long as you keep your distance from people who aren't wearing a mask or get in closer proximity with people who are wearing masks there shouldn't be a need for eye protection. 

I wear 2 N95 masks, a face shield, and nitrile gloves when driving alone with the windows up.  I pray to Gavin every night that Biden and Mamala will make this a national mandate. 

eh, not really.  even a bandana will reduce the rate of incoming virus, particularly from large droplets (e.g. from sneezes or coughs).  but each upgrade (procedure masks, surgical masks, N95, PAPR) will block a higher percentage.

and layering will have additive benefits.  so a procedure mask over top of an N95 may get you up to 98%, or a bandana over a cloth mask up to 50%.

zovall said:

I'm not arguing against masking. I want to caution against thinking you are protected from covid by wearing a bandana.

If you can afford it, use higher quality masks like an N95. They are now more available than in the past.

zovall said:
I'm not arguing against masking. I want to caution against thinking you are protected from covid by wearing a bandana.

If you can afford it, use higher quality masks like an N95. They are now more available than in the past.

Face shield is key with mask. Unless you have thermal vision to see potential droplets in the air.

N95 masks might claim ?95% filtration with 0.3 micron particles, but realistically most people don't wear masks with proper fitting.  The mask needs to be sized and fitted correctly to form a seal.  However even poorly fitted masks will reduce the viral load when inhaled.  By reducing the viral load, you reduce the infection rate and severity.

For airborne transmission via aerosol particles, the particles will generally settle downward within 30 mins.  If you do your shopping in early mornings with few other customers, you can reduce the risk.  Avoid smaller enclosed spaces, such as indoor restaurant with A/C where the aerosol particles could stay airborne for hours and spread 20-30 ft distance.

Moderna is currently working on a booster shot targeting COVID-19 strain B.1.1.7 (UK) and B.1.351 (SA).  Existing Moderna vaccine also offers some protection:https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/25/cov...d-booster-shots-for-south-african-strain.html

===============

There is a lot of uncertainty regarding new viral strains.  It's possible that we may get hit with one that makes you want to stay home, and avoid in-person contact for weeks until new booster shots are avail.

It's a good idea to prep a supply of food, water, and medicine at home.  For short term prepping you don't need to buy expensive "survival rations".  Most canned foods have shelf life of 2-5+ years, and your local discount retailer is a great place to stock up.

When purchasing emergency supply food, consider the following:

* Do you actually enjoy eating it?  If you hate canned sardines don't buy it.  Under normal (non-emergency) conditions, use a few canned foods weekly and replace them with fresh cans.

* Check the expiration or best used by date.  Preferably it should have 2-5+ years shelf life remaining for canned food, or at least a year for boxed food, seasonings, etc.

* Check the content and nutritional value of the food.  If it has less nutritional value than Kool-aid (empty calories), you should probably look for something else.

* The food should be shelf stable, does not require refrigeration, and ready to heat/consume.  If you're buying stuff that requires cooking, consider if the ingredients will be readily avail at home.

* Make a budget and buy a variety of canned and bagged/boxed foods.  If you really love Campbell's canned soup and can eat it every day for a month, by all means go for it.  For rest of us have a variety so you won't get bored/depressed.

* Don't forget to stock multivitamins, canned fruit, milk/beverage powders, and seasonings.  A drink of hot cocoa makes many problems go away for the night.  Taco seasoning and (powdered) gravy can be mixed with many foods.

* Be creative!  You can add canned chicken, spam, etc. to Mac and Cheese to make a casserole.

How do you know if your first. What if they have senior citizen early entrance. How much is a face shield a couple dollars?

momopi said:
N95 masks might claim ?95% filtration with 0.3 micron particles, but realistically most people don't wear masks with proper fitting.  The mask needs to be sized and fitted correctly to form a seal.  However even poorly fitted masks will reduce the viral load when inhaled.  By reducing the viral load, you reduce the infection rate and severity.

For airborne transmission via aerosol particles, the particles will generally settle downward within 30 mins.  If you do your shopping in early mornings with few other customers, you can reduce the risk.  Avoid smaller enclosed spaces, such as indoor restaurant with A/C where the aerosol particles could stay airborne for hours and spread 20-30 ft distance.

Moderna is currently working on a booster shot targeting COVID-19 strain B.1.1.7 (UK) and B.1.351 (SA).  Existing Moderna vaccine also offers some protection:https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/25/cov...d-booster-shots-for-south-african-strain.html

===============

There is a lot of uncertainty regarding new viral strains.  It's possible that we may get hit with one that makes you want to stay home, and avoid in-person contact for weeks until new booster shots are avail.

It's a good idea to prep a supply of food, water, and medicine at home.  You don't need to buy expensive "survival rations".  Most canned foods have shelf life of 2-5+ years, and your local discount retailer is a great place to stock up.

When purchasing emergency supply food, consider the following:

* Do you actually enjoy eating it?  If you hate canned sardines don't buy it.  Under normal (non-emergency) conditions, use a few canned foods weekly and replace them with fresh cans.

* Check the expiration or best used by date.  Preferably it should have 2-5+ years shelf life remaining for canned food, or at least a year for boxed food, seasonings, etc.

* Check the content and nutritional value of the food.  If it has less nutritional value than Kool-aid (empty calories), you should probably look for something else.

* The food should be shelf stable, does not require refrigeration, and ready to heat/consume.  If you're buying stuff that requires cooking, consider if the ingredients will be readily avail at home.

* Make a budget and buy a variety of canned and bagged/boxed foods.  If you really love Campbell's canned soup and can eat it every day for a month, by all means go for it.  For rest of us have a variety so you won't get bored/depressed.

* Don't forget to stock multivitamins, canned fruit, milk/beverage powders, and seasonings.  A drink of hot cocoa makes many problems go away for the night.  Taco seasoning and (powdered) gravy can be mixed with many foods.

* Be creative!  You can add canned chicken, spam, etc. to Mac and Cheese to make a casserole.

Well I posted this in coronavirus thread, but maybe it belongs here.

Just got curious suddenly. If N95 or + masks are the only ones effective, how come people at the congress or even people you see on TV like Dr. Fauci himself is not wearing those? They're all wearing either the thin cheap ones or some fabric fashion clothes stuff. Anyone thought this odd?  ???

Mety said:

Just got curious suddenly. If N95 or + masks are the only ones effective, how come people at the congress or even people you see on TV like Dr. Fauci himself is not wearing those? They're all wearing either the thin cheap ones or some fabric fashion clothes stuff. Anyone thought this odd?  ???

I don?t know. But wearing a mask is better than no mask.

Mety said:

You must have missed my response. I posted a picture of Dr. Fauci wearing double masks, an N95 and a cloth mask.

irvinehomeowner said:
Mety said:

You must have missed my response. I posted a picture of Dr. Fauci wearing double masks, an N95 and a cloth mask.

I must have. I don't think I can keep up with everyone's posts here. I personally have seen some double masks from Biden, but mostly people wear just cloth based, nothing as serious as N95. Maybe there are times they wear N95, but all photos or videos I've seen had them wearing thin or some fashion cloth ones. Maybe they put N95 inside? Who knows?

Back