New Small SUV for ~$20k

irvinehomeowner

I should ask this on a car forum but I don't have a current account on one and don't feel like making one.

Any recs on small/new SUVs in the $20k range?

Internet says the Nissan Kicks because of the safety technology but I was wondering if you guys had any other suggestions.

And I don't want to buy used because I do want the new car smell. :)

I prefer Nissan to Toyota now.  But I'm in the market for electric for all cars in the seeable future.
However, I'm also driving my current cars into the dirt so it may be awhile.

I think the default recommendation in this segment is a Kia Soul if you must buy new. Personally I prefer to buy resale. If I were buying for my kid, I'd probably look at the Hyundai Kona. If I were buying for myself at 20k, I'd get a Mazda 3 wagon (or if budget was lower, a Honda Fit).

I see a lot of Nissan rogues on the road. Good looking suv, although I think it?s about 25k but you can probably squeeze them lower on a 2020 model.  There is also the Kia Sportage and Niro.

Check out Hyundai Santa Fe.  The 2021's are out now (minor body change) so you could probably get a deal on a 2020 base model for low $20k's...  I think they come with CarPlay standard.

aquabliss said:
Check out Hyundai Santa Fe.  The 2021's are out now (minor body change) so you could probably get a deal on a 2020 base model for low $20k's...  I think they come with CarPlay standard.

Hyundai actually has a new Venue subcompact SUV that start just under $19k. I like the Kona too... but like Toyota and Honda... less tech than the Nissan.

I guess I'm really sold on that 360 view camera, if you have one in your car you know what I'm taking about. :)

Depends what you are using the vehicle for. Long hauls? I'd buy resale and upscale. $20k can go far in the used market. Is it local area only driving? The Mazda is great. I've preferred Toyota myself (we own a Rav-4 and a Nissan vehicle) and find the Toyota to be tougher, better engineered than our Nissan.

Might avoid Hyundai for a bit. The recommend parking the Tucson SUV outside until they fix a known spontaneous fire issue with this model. Hopefully the issue is limited only to that vehicle. Full disclosure - I owned a Hyundai Excel 4 door GL and drove 200k miles on it. It was "The Little Engine That Could" kind of car - so I like the brand, but not the most recent news about one of their SUV's.

My .02c

Unrelated but I would add to this. Anyone here happen to have the 2020 or 2021 Highlander Hybrid. Have obviously read reviews on the car forums but curious if anyone here happens to have it and if so any feedback on whether they like it, etc.  Am going to be in the market this year for a new SUV, ideally something fuel efficient.  I really like the Kia - but I also keep my cars a long time and have had historical good luck with Toyota/Honda SUV's I've ran into the ground where as maybe not as happy with my more recent Hyundai (which is now about 5 years old - this is not the car I'm replacing, rather I'd be replacing a 12 year old SUV). 

I also have a hard time with how much the KIA sells for. Something about an inability to really negotiate on a car that mentally just feels weird. 

bump the budget to $30K and get a CRV (gas). We just got a 2020 for $30K. I was willing to go much more expensive like MDX or Highlander but we don't need a 3rd row and the 1/2 row legroom is bigger than ALL SUVs except the Highlander. CRV occupies a fascinating market niche and we couldn't be happier. 0%/60 mo now as well. Such a steal, almost as much as the M3 for $38K

I say hold off on any major purchases especially a vehicle unless you need it. We do not know how long this will last for.

irvinehomeowner said:
eyephone said:
I say hold off on any major purchases especially a vehicle unless you need it. We do not know how long this will last for.

I'm optimistic... new prez... vaccines... and morekaos moving to Texas. :)

I respect that.

Back