Author Topic: New Small SUV for ~$20k  (Read 1772 times)

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2640
  • -Received: 3984
  • 3CWG
Re: New Small SUV for ~$20k
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2021, 03:09:08 PM »
Brand new out of inventory could be $28k. Pre-owned is $19-20. I'd rather have a more expensive car (better features) at a lower price instead of a low price new car without many of the premiums. The savings is imputed.

15-20k miles is really nothing. I prefer to have a car that's broken in. Glad to have the seller ensure most items are fixed by the dealer before re-selling.

My .02c

The more expensive cars don't necessarily have the better features... at least not the ones I'm looking at.

Other than the Nissan Kicks for ~$20k that has a top/360/birds eye/surround view camera and bunch of safety features, what other small SUV (even recently used) has that?
Once you go 3-car garage... your junk can never go back.
3CWG: 3-Car Wide Garage
FCB: Foreign Cash Buyer
I recommend:
www.irvinerealtorsite.com
member: Soylent Green Is People (loans/refis)

Offline Mety

• Thanks
  • -Given: 211
  • -Received: 268
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2021, 04:11:10 PM »
I know IHO is asking for $20k, but if you're thinking of a new lease or a purchase, Tesla is a pretty sweet deal with $1500 automatic deduction from your downpayment and $2000 rebate after couple months. If you made $3000 downpayment (the minimum requirement), it's like you're starting with $500 in your pocket. I think the newest Model Y would get you about $550 a month including tax for lease for $3000 down (or $500 in your pocket). Model 3 would be way lower.

Online zovall

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 544
  • -Received: 186
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2021, 04:30:12 PM »
I have a lease coming due in a bit over year. For the reasons eyephone mentioned I have no idea what I’m going to do. Before the pandemic I was thinking my next car lease would be an X5M. There is no way I’m going to drop 1000-1200 a month to drop the kids off at school and pick them up or go the grocery store. Even if I’m back in the office and going in two days a week not sure it would be worth it. I do like the new car smell so I think I’ll continue to lease but the idea of buying a used car is growing on me if I won’t be driving very much. Perhaps I’ll just get a street legal golf cart and call it a day.

Lease an EV?

Offline qwerty

• Thanks
  • -Given: 2725
  • -Received: 1808
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2021, 04:37:17 PM »
I have a lease coming due in a bit over year. For the reasons eyephone mentioned I have no idea what I’m going to do. Before the pandemic I was thinking my next car lease would be an X5M. There is no way I’m going to drop 1000-1200 a month to drop the kids off at school and pick them up or go the grocery store. Even if I’m back in the office and going in two days a week not sure it would be worth it. I do like the new car smell so I think I’ll continue to lease but the idea of buying a used car is growing on me if I won’t be driving very much. Perhaps I’ll just get a street legal golf cart and call it a day.

Lease an EV?

I’m pro internal combustion engine :-)

Although I do find not getting gas appealing. 

Offline nosuchreality

• Thanks
  • -Given: 145
  • -Received: 528
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2021, 05:34:40 PM »

Lease an EV?

My Honda Odyssey is ten years old.  My idiot light came on yesterday.  I’ll need to go get gas soon.  I should fill it for earthquake/disaster reasons.  Last time I filled it was September 30. 

We also have the EV and primarily us it, if we don’t make a run to the other side of LA to check on family, we use less than a 1/4 battery charge a week.  About 15 kWh.

Neither car is getting upgraded anytime soon, even after return to normalcy this coming fall, usage demand will be diminished.

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • 3CWG
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2021, 05:47:07 PM »
I know IHO is asking for $20k, but if you're thinking of a new lease or a purchase, Tesla is a pretty sweet deal with $1500 automatic deduction from your downpayment and $2000 rebate after couple months. If you made $3000 downpayment (the minimum requirement), it's like you're starting with $500 in your pocket. I think the newest Model Y would get you about $550 a month including tax for lease for $3000 down (or $500 in your pocket). Model 3 would be way lower.

Actually you can do $0 down on a Tesla now... the cheapest Model Y (the rear drive Standard Range will run you $40k) can be leased for less than $500/mo.

But that's still higher than $20k cars when you finance or lease.

With that being said, we are also probably going to get a Model Y... both our leases our up so one cheapie and one EV.
I recommend:

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • 3CWG
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2021, 03:13:10 PM »
Brand new out of inventory could be $28k. Pre-owned is $19-20. I'd rather have a more expensive car (better features) at a lower price instead of a low price new car without many of the premiums. The savings is imputed.

15-20k miles is really nothing. I prefer to have a car that's broken in. Glad to have the seller ensure most items are fixed by the dealer before re-selling.

My .02c

I'm not totally inflexible. Been looking at some used Rogues (the trim level that has the Around View camera) and I found a 2018 model that looks pretty good for less than $20k.

Now I have to figure out which trim Toyota/Honda SUVs have the 360 camera and see if I can find a used one under $20k... it's a bit harder doing research on used models because you can't use the brand site to look for features.
I recommend:

Offline UrvineLegend

• Tourist
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 5
  • -Received: 2
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2021, 06:05:56 PM »
I wouldn't consider Nissan, especially for used car.  Probably the worst Japanese brand cars along with Mitsubishi.  For used cars, Honda and Toyota are way more reliable.  I was a Honda guy, but now I drive a Mazda.  Fun to drive.  My pick is CX30, although it's more than 20k and doesn't have the around view camera.

Offline qwerty

• Thanks
  • -Given: 2725
  • -Received: 1808
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2021, 08:06:47 PM »
IHO -You should take at look at this site for leasing.

https://retracauto.com/

It was set up by Cody Carter, a Tustin Toyota salesman to streamline the leasing process. All the prices are there including different lease prices for different mileage. The prices seem pretty good and from the comments on leasehackr his prices are tough to beat. The guy sold about 1800 cars in 2020. That is about 5 cars a day. I found out about the site on the leasehackr website a while ago.

Not sure if this would interest you but just in case.

The following member(s) thanked this post:

Offline daedalus

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 235
  • -Received: 260
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2021, 09:28:43 PM »
Last time I filled it was September 30. 
I just recorded today's fill up of my beater vehicle.  Last fill up was Feb 24.    :o

I'm honestly amazed you can buy an SUV brand new in this country for $20k.

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

Recent Posts

Re: Apple New Products by aquabliss
[Today at 02:03:13 AM]

Re: Where the market is - Buyer Offers by USCTrojanCPA
[Today at 12:15:59 AM]

Re: Where the market is - Buyer Offers by USCTrojanCPA
[Today at 12:11:18 AM]

Re: Apple New Products by zovall