Leaving California? A guide to what state is best to move to

WTTCHMN

Leaving California? A guide to what state is best to move to

No. 1 Texas: Ranked by my metric as the 12th-best state for buying power and No. 8 after politics are factored in. Not terribly far off, I?d say.

No. 2 Arizona: 16th-best buying power; No. 20 with politics included. Its cost-of-living ? 17% cheaper than California, by BEA math ? is a key attraction.

No. 3 Washington state: Third-best buying power ? an exact ranking match ? but No. 29 with politics included. It?s basically California, with rain and greenery.

No. 4 Nevada: 30th-best buying power; No. 36 with politics included. This neighboring no-income-tax state is 16% cheaper than California.

No. 5 Oregon: 20th-best buying power; No. 42 with politics included. This neighboring state is 12% cheaper than California.

No. 6 Florida: No. 44 buying power; No. 40 with politics included. No income tax and 13% cheaper living attract retirees.

No. 7 Colorado: Ninth-best buying power; No. 31 with politics included. The state is 12% cheaper than California.

No. 8 New York: 13th-best buying power; No. 38 with politics included. You need a California salary (or more) to make this move pencil out.

No. 9 Idaho: No. 49 buying power; No. 27 with politics included. Poor job market but it?s become a retiree haven due to 21% cheaper living than California.

No. 10 North Carolina: 23th-best buying power; No. 30 with politics included. Its draw? Likely being 21% cheaper than California.
https://www.ocregister.com/2021/01/10/leaving-california-a-guide-to-what-state-is-best-to-move-to/

Really good article - it was in the SJ Merc News yesterday. The most interesting statistical takeaway was Mass. being the #1 destination if going by the numbers. I work there for a few years in the early 2000s before my company moved me to Silicon Valley. Mass. has excellent public schools, a booming skilled job market and multitudes of affordable options in nice areas, as well as southern New Hamsphire with no state income tax or sales tax (though MA will come after you for the days you work in the state) being within easy commuting distance. If you can handle the weather MA offers close to Silicon Valley wages for much lower cost of living.

sleepy5136 said:
curious why politics ranking is even mentioned? how is home buying tied to politics?

Depending on where you are on the political spectrum, things we take for granted even at the social level, just aren?t elsewhere.

Here in Cali, I?m pretty centrist.  Compared to extended family in the Midwest, I fall solidly left. 

Social safety net, pandemic response, environment policy, drug legalization, criminal justice, abortion, etc all are political sphere and when you?re in an area with a big mismatch, it?s pretty oppressive.

nosuchreality said:
sleepy5136 said:
curious why politics ranking is even mentioned? how is home buying tied to politics?

Depending on where you are on the political spectrum, things we take for granted even at the social level, just aren?t elsewhere.

Here in Cali, I?m pretty centrist.  Compared to extended family in the Midwest, I fall solidly left. 

Social safety net, pandemic response, environment policy, drug legalization, criminal justice, abortion, etc all are political sphere and when you?re in an area with a big mismatch, it?s pretty oppressive.

interesting. I guess I'm a bit different as I wouldn't be talking about politics with my neighbors unless I'm close with them. I feel like the main problem in society now is not because of ppls political beliefs, but more of the fact that people now let politics make/break a relationship with someone instead of agreeing to disagree. Its quite a shame that its become that way.

sleepy5136 said:
nosuchreality said:
sleepy5136 said:

interesting. I guess I'm a bit different as I wouldn't be talking about politics with my neighbors unless I'm close with them. I feel like the main problem in society now is not because of ppls political beliefs, but more of the fact that people now let politics make/break a relationship with someone instead of agreeing to disagree. Its quite a shame that its become that way.

This might seem pessimistic, but I think people / human nature have always been that way.

It feels like it has become this way because how we receive information and communicate have drastically changed.

In my opinion, society would function a lot better if people are resistant to moralistic peer pressure and are receptive to good faith persuasive arguments.

Unfortunately, in reality most people are the opposite.

You don't need to directly talk politics to be affected. 

There is another thread on TalkIrvine about Johns Creek, GA.  Its a suburb of Atlanta, good job market, high education, etc.  Currently a Dem rep in the district and kind if purplish.  Buffering Atlanta, very Orange County sounding.

About 10 minutes outside your door to the northeast, you change districts, still suburban Atlanta. The rep there cut his teeth 10 years ago on GA displaying of the 10 commandments on Gov property.

Heading just a touch further out to the exurbs in that direction, you pick Rep Clyde has his own Armory Business, notibly 2nd amendment focused, sued over business closures for covid, etc.

Swing out of John's Creek to the west/northwest, clear the immediate Atlanta suburb about 10-15 minutes out and you cross into GA 14th district. Home of Marjorie Taylor Greene and supporters.

We do similar here in Cali, Big Bear Lake is the nearest corner our 8th district, it runs from there up through Death Valley and Mono Lake.  The Veteran Rep retired, replaced with another Trump supporter who voted to decertify the election.

The 42nd is another whose Rep voted to decertify. It is the Corona Norco, Menifee 15 corridor. Calvert won 53-46.  Which is much different than the 75/25 votes for Marjorie.

Even without Covid there are fairly apparent differences in day to day experience in these areas.

As a minority...California is the best choice by far.  While there are significant population of minorities in other states...they are largely congregated in certain areas.  NYC, New Jersey, Georgia, and Texas basically segregate the races into different areas.

Vegas, Portland, and Seattle are probably the best alternatives to California but they are not California.

The pandemic has shown that racism is still strong and alive in many parts of the US.

There is a reason why Asian/Indian immigrants still prefer living in California over any other state...and it's not even close.

Irvinecommuter said:
As a minority...California is the best choice by far.  While there are significant population of minorities in other states...they are largely congregated in certain areas.  NYC, New Jersey, Georgia, and Texas basically segregate the races into different areas.

Vegas, Portland, and Seattle are probably the best alternatives to California but they are not California.

The pandemic has shown that racism is still strong and alive in many parts of the US.

There is a reason why Asian/Indian immigrants still prefer living in California over any other state...and it's not even close.

This is interesting.

Panda chose Johns Creek because of the heavy Korean demographics but I wonder if he feel out of place outside of his area.

irvinehomeowner said:
Irvinecommuter said:

This is interesting.

Panda chose Johns Creek because of the heavy Korean demographics but I wonder if he feel out of place outside of his area.

Just to demonstrate this issue from an objective data POV:  Check out the top 100 cities with Chinese population...see how many are in California. 
http://zipatlas.com/us/city-comparison/percentage-chinese-population.htm

Irvinecommuter said:

I feel like there's a lot of articles showing California losing more population every year but what they fail to show is that California's net population is still increasing every year primarily due to immigration.  A lot of that immigration is coming from Asia so I only see California becoming more diverse as more and more "locals" relocate.

nosuchreality said:
You don't need to directly talk politics to be affected. 

There is another thread on TalkIrvine about Johns Creek, GA.  Its a suburb of Atlanta, good job market, high education, etc.  Currently a Dem rep in the district and kind if purplish.  Buffering Atlanta, very Orange County sounding.

About 10 minutes outside your door to the northeast, you change districts, still suburban Atlanta. The rep there cut his teeth 10 years ago on GA displaying of the 10 commandments on Gov property.

Heading just a touch further out to the exurbs in that direction, you pick Rep Clyde has his own Armory Business, notibly 2nd amendment focused, sued over business closures for covid, etc.

Swing out of John's Creek to the west/northwest, clear the immediate Atlanta suburb about 10-15 minutes out and you cross into GA 14th district. Home of Marjorie Taylor Greene and supporters.

We do similar here in Cali, Big Bear Lake is the nearest corner our 8th district, it runs from there up through Death Valley and Mono Lake.  The Veteran Rep retired, replaced with another Trump supporter who voted to decertify the election.

The 42nd is another whose Rep voted to decertify. It is the Corona Norco, Menifee 15 corridor. Calvert won 53-46.  Which is much different than the 75/25 votes for Marjorie.

Even without Covid there are fairly apparent differences in day to day experience in these areas.

Pushing the policies/talking points aside, the key issue for a minority is whether I am expected to "assimilate" or "affect/change" a location. 

In California, the bulk of the population is open to changing demographics and new things/cultures.  Korean BBQ is as "normal" as Texas BBQ...H Mart/Zion as normal as Albertsons/Ralphs. 

California allows minorities to put forward their culture rather than having to hid or restrict them.  It also allows for more competition between minority business, which in turn results in better minority business (i.e. better ethnic foods).

In other places, you go to or live the minority areas...in California...the minority areas are everywhere.

Just something to throw out there, about of the listings that I show to buyers have the sellers relocating out-of-state (ID, NV, AZ, UT, CO, TX, TN, and FL).

If there is no universal health care or something like that. Health insurance may be really expensive in the US. We might have to migrate somewhere else.

Back