Has anyone heard any news about the retail space planned for Great Park?

ParasolParker

Any news to report?  It's been over 3 years and FivePoint has not done any attempt to fulfill their promises regarding the retail space.. Woodbury is packed and now with the pandemic its even more of a risk to try to venture to that retail area.

It can't be the pandemic because not all construction is really on hold. FivePoint is still building million+ homes non stop...

Plans were approved by the City in October 2019.
https://irvinewatchdog.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/FPx-Project-.pdf

There's been tension between FivePoint and the City over the Veteran's Cemetery. It's possible a combination of COVID delays and the negotiations over the Veteran's Cemetery/etc could be slowing things down? Pure speculation but it's also possible COVID may have sent them back to the drawing board on plans for hotels or denser retail but in order to modify it they need to update their approvals with the City? It would be really nice to have an actual update from FivePoint or the City on this though since residents are anxious to see retail in the GP/PS area.

moc said:

There's been tension between FivePoint and the City over the Veteran's Cemetery. It's possible a combination of COVID delays and the negotiations over the Veteran's Cemetery/etc could be slowing things down? Pure speculation but it's also possible COVID may have sent them back to the drawing board on plans for hotels or denser retail but in order to modify it they need to update their approvals with the City? It would be really nice to have an actual update from FivePoint or the City on this though since residents are anxious to see retail in the GP/PS area.

Cemetary? Oh lord. I hope they don't

GenericIrvineResident said:
moc said:

Cemetary? Oh lord. I hope they don't

I'm not an expert on this but I believe a veteran's cemetery has long been planned in the great park to honor its history as a former military base and to provide a resting place for the men and women who served our country. I don't really see any cons to having a cemetery - quiet neighbors, open space, honors the veterans.

My understanding it the debate has been over exactly where it should go. To be honest, when I've tried to understand the pros and cons of the different locations I have failed to develop a strong preference. But, I believe there is a general consensus that there should be a veteran's cemetery, and in 2018 Irvine residents voted yes to build the cemetery. So, I think it will be built it's just a question of where and when.

moc said:

I hope that's all there is to it.. rethinking a post covid retail view of the world..  Given how many new houses are in the area they will get a lot of visits.. so hoping they get going soon...

Back