Columbus Grove/Westpark or Cypress Village

I prefer the central location of Columbus Grove and Westpark but I prefer the open floor plans and newer finishes of Cypress Village homes.

How do the amenities, melloroos, density, and square footage compare between Columbus Grove/Westpark and Cypress Village?

IrvineOChomeseeker said:
I prefer the central location of Columbus Grove and Westpark but I prefer the open floor plans and newer finishes of Cypress Village homes.

How do the amenities, melloroos, density, and square footage compare between Columbus Grove/Westpark and Cypress Village?

Most parts of Westpark (homes built in the early 90s and before) have no Mello Roos and very low HOA but their floor plans are not as open as Westpark II homes (north of Barranca) that were built in the 90s.  Those Westpark II homes had Mello Roos but it expired recently.  Westpark has larger parks than Cypress Village and Columbus Grove but does not have the open floor plans that Cypress Village has.  The Columbus Grove homes will have the highest Mello Roos and the floor plans are somewhat open as they were built in the mid 2000s.  Besides the open floor plans in Cypress Village, many buyers like that the elementary school and middle school in the neighborhood. 

That being said, I have another Jasmine Plan 3 listing coming up next year if you are interested.

IrvineOChomeseeker said:

Hmm.. very interesting comparison since I feel like they are so different.

Cypress Village
Pros:
-Close to the 5 freeway
-Newer with modern floorplans

Cons:
-neighborhood suffers from feeling dense and has a very boxy grid-like setup like many of the newer villages
-only one retail center close by

Columbus Grove
Pros:
-Still relatively new with nice floorplans IMO
-Great central location. You're between Harvard, Barranca, Jamboree & Warner, so it is easy to get everywhere.
-Doesn't feel as compact as Cypress Village

Cons:
-Very close to power lines
-Close to Construction Circle which emits smells and dust often

Westpark - There are multiple sections of Westpark, so it depends where you are looking.
Westpark Village One is a much older small tract of homes that butts up against the 405 and Culver
Westpark I outside of Village One is where the trademark Mediterranean homes begin
Westpark II is a lot newer and is past Barranca

Pros:
-Many different tracts to choose from within all 3 areas
-Nice pathways (paseos) and parks throughout
-Very convenient location as well since you are between the 5 and 405
-Super low HOA - many homes have a $49 HOA fee
-You're central to numerous retail centers and restaurants
-You can get a 3CWG and two story ceilings!

Cons:
-Some of the homes are much older and need to be completely renovated
-The secondary bedrooms are tiny in various floorplans
-Most of the floorplans aren't as open, BUT a lot of them have vaulted ceilings and high windows

IrvineOChomeseeker said:

I think you pretty much nailed the trade-offs between the 2. Just depends on what you value more. Also the HOA/mello roos difference.

Both Westpark II and Columbus Grove do have open floorplans... they were called Family Room and Kitchen/Nook before it was called Great Room.

I believe Westpark II's MRs are matured, so there is also that to consider.

irvinehomeowner said:
Both Westpark II and Columbus Grove do have open floorplans... they were called Family Room and Kitchen/Nook before it was called Great Room.

I believe Westpark II's MRs are matured, so there is also that to consider.

Yeah are right IHO the Westpark II MR has expired.  The Westpark II floor plans have more of that "O" floor plan with the formal living room, dining room, kitchen, and family room where the Columbus Grove homes have more of an open floor plan and is when the great room concept began on a smaller scale.

Thank you to USCTrojanCPA, irviniteee, hurijo, and irvinehomeowner for providing your expertise.

With all of your help, I have learned that I prefer Westpark II over Westpark I. And I will have to check out whether Cypress Village's boxy grid-like neighborhood setup is something I would enjoy living in. The fewer retail centers near Cypress Village is another concern. I may give the edge to Columbus Grove/Westpark II due to this.

How are the schools in Westpark II and Columbus Grove (Irvine side)?

IrvineOChomeseeker said:
Thank you to USCTrojanCPA, irviniteee, hurijo, and irvinehomeowner for providing your expertise.

With all of your help, I have learned that I prefer Westpark II over Westpark I. And I will have to check out whether Cypress Village's boxy grid-like neighborhood setup is something I would enjoy living in. The fewer retail centers near Cypress Village is another concern. I may give the edge to Columbus Grove/Westpark II due to this.

Columbus Grove is zoned to Westpark or Culverdale Elementary School (parents get to pick), Lakeside Middle School, and Irvine HS while Westpark II is zoned to Plaza Vista Elementary School and the same middle school and high school as Columbus Grove.  Thus, school wise I think there isn't much of a difference between the 2 neighborhoods.  The biggest differences between the two Villages are that one has Mello Roos and a high HOA than the other one. I would buy the home that you like best (floor plan and location).

irvinehomeowner said:
Keep in mind that Plaza Vista is a year round school and grades K-8.

Some people like that, some don't. We didn't.

Yes! Do keep this mind. I attended a year round school in Irvine (Vista Verde - the OG location) and I/my parents were fine with it, but many parents aren't a fan.

IrvineOChomeseeker said:

I like Westpark II a tad more than Columbus Grove, but it's very very close for me between the two.

Year round school means you can go to Hawaii in SEP when it's cheap with the whole family and not have to take any school days off.
Or take a Disney cruise (after covid) @ 3 X cheaper rates.

Back