Property taxes

jyeh74

I just paid the December installment for property taxes.  If I were to sell my home, what happens to the next installment that is due in Feb. 1, 2021 (April 21, 2021 without penalty)?  Does it get prorated or do I not have to pay the next installment?

Prorated. You pay your portion and the buyer will pay their portion but settled through escrow.

irvineboy said:
I just paid the December installment for property taxes.  If I were to sell my home, what happens to the next installment that is due in Feb. 1, 2021 (April 21, 2021 without penalty)?  Does it get prorated or do I not have to pay the next installment?

Orange County taxes are a bit weird.  Half is paid in advanced and other half is paid arrears.  Payment is for the fiscal year that starts July 1st and ends next June 1st.  The answer to whether you pay your next installment depends on when you sell your house.  Either way as Cares mentioned, things will get settled out in escrow.

irvineboy said:
So why does it say its due in Feb but technically you can pay until April with no penalty?

Who knows?  why is it due in Feb and not Jan 1st?  why is half of it paid in arrears and half in advance?  It all seems completely random and illogical to me.  Im sure some smart (being sarcastic here) person in county office decided these random dates.

This is not unique to Orange County. All California counties all have tax fiscal years as July 1, 2020 thorough June 30, 2021.

Payments due November (late December) and February (late April).

Back