Why do rebelling businesses look like superspreader events?

nosuchreality

Up early today, news showing a sports bar and grill open with the owner complaining we did take out only and it doesn?t work for us.  So naturally, packed patio, maskless people, shouting doing whatever.

Serious question, how come the businesses that are being open aren?t at least doing it responsibly?

Open air patio
Clear social distancing between the tables
People acting responsibly

It really isn?t protesting heavy handed business closures, it?s denying there is a public health event occurring.

And that's why there has to be these state/county/city mandates because when left on their own accord, they don't follow the rules properly.

The US is just too individualistic. That's understandable, people need to make a living... but there are ways to do it safely.

Just imagine, you just spent all this money setting up outdoor dining, your patrons start coming back... and then the state shuts you down.

A few of the small restaurants I've been to have asked me if I think they will get in trouble if they keep their outdoor dining open... I just tell them that it's a mandate and they should follow it but if they don't, keep safety in mind.

According to what I read, there is no "onsite dining". What if, the place serves the food as takeout, and then the customer takes that food to their outdoor dining and eats their food there. They need to be distant and wear masks when not eating, but by limiting table service, does that make it safer because you there is no repeated wait staff interaction? But by not having wait staff, who keeps them in check and disinfects the tables between customers? Just trying to figure out safe methods to allow these businesses to keep going.

I'm going to go qwerty here and ask how is a barber shop less safe than a grocery store.

If they are doing less than 50% capacity, the chairs are distanced and have dividers, and they have to wear masks the entire time... is that pretty safe considering haircuts take on the average 10-15 minutes?

Has there been a barbershop superspreader event in the news? I know I've heard of some nail salons (which is strange to me as they should be masked up 100% of the time too).

I?d rather see the government agencies posting these are the rules for operating safely at the following levels. 

A man?s. Haircut at Floyd?s is probably 10-15 minutes.  Not sure anything but the most basic haircut for Women at Ultra is under 30, a coloring and you are way longer. 

JIMHO, pretty stupid to close outside dining but allow catering companies to set up tents and buffets for businesses.  Just adjust the occupancy limit of the outside dining according to tier level.  The businesses can decide if they can make that work or not but I really don?t have a lot sympathy for I have to pack my bar with drinkers to make it.  Must businesses around here have been good about following basic safety guidelines, crack down on the flouting it instead of punishing them all.

This morning the news also reported people arrested at a 150 person house party in Palm Springs. 

What?s the difference between that today and something like the overcrowded station nightclub that burned and people died? Three people charged and pled guilty.

Yeah... was referring to men's barber shop.

Maybe nail salons take longer than 15 minutes... for sure beauty parlors take much longer.

A place I go to only has 3 outdoor tables that are like 10+ feet apart... why close that down?

irvinehomeowner said:
Yeah... was referring to men's barber shop.

Maybe nail salons take longer than 15 minutes... for sure beauty parlors take much longer.

A place I go to only has 3 outdoor tables that are like 10+ feet apart... why close that down?

There was a well publicized story about a lady in the Midwest or perhaps Texas that cut over 100 customers hair while she had covid but wore a mask and no one got infected. I think this was back in April or so.

qwerty said:
There was a well publicized story about a lady in the Midwest or perhaps Texas that cut over 100 customers hair while she had covid but wore a mask and no one got infected. I think this was back in April or so.

Oh sure... when we tell you how a mask protects others you are doubtful and then you tell us this? :)

irvinehomeowner said:
qwerty said:

Oh sure... when we tell you how a mask protects others you are doubtful and then you tell us this? :)

What I was always critical about was that the masks only offered one way protection, which never made sense and was subsequently acknowledged by the CDC.

In this case it probably helped that the people?s faces are pointing in the same direction and at Different heights so the spit coming through the mask from the hairdresser just landed on top of the customers head :)

qwerty said:
irvinehomeowner said:
qwerty said:

What I was always critical about was that the masks only offered one way protection, which never made sense and was subsequently acknowledged by the CDC.

Who said it was only one way? What we said is it was more effective in preventing spread by reducing air droplets from infected people.

Seriously... reading is fundamental.

Back