Planned Land Use at Portola Parkway / 241

someguy

I feel like this has been asked before, sorry if it's a repeat.  Anyone know what this land is planned for?  Right now it's graded nearly completely flat.  I don't see the usual raised/lowered pieces where houses/streets/drainage would go.  Seems like a good location for a retail center.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    63 KB · Views: 239
It?s better for residential, that area will have nice views. 
I think it?d be an odd place for retail, end of Irvine/edge of town and backing to a toll road with light-ish traffic.  GP makes a lot more sense, but I?m not holding my breath for it

How about this area?  It looks zoned for community commercial but I don't see any land preparation there.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    245.9 KB · Views: 222
someguy said:
I feel like this has been asked before, sorry if it's a repeat.  Anyone know what this land is planned for?  Right now it's graded nearly completely flat.  I don't see the usual raised/lowered pieces where houses/streets/drainage would go.  Seems like a good location for a retail center.

That area will most likely be attached and detached condos.

I'm looking at google satellite map and comparing, that area looks like the back side of portola elementary, used to be a whole bunch of trees and shrubs, and runoff from Tomato Springs, but that area got burnt down by the last fire.  There's no entrance aside from the school or fire station, or if they dumped a whole bunch of dirt and enter from Portola.  Would make sense if extended day care or some type of after school type business goes there.

Existing Elderberry homes look down on it, it's below that walking trail.

Any word on the Portola Parkway Gap Bike Path in the same area? It looked like it was planned in 2019, but disappeared from The Toll Roads documentation in 2020.

AW said:
I'm looking at google satellite map and comparing, that area looks like the back side of portola elementary, used to be a whole bunch of trees and shrubs, and runoff from Tomato Springs, but that area got burnt down by the last fire.  There's no entrance aside from the school or fire station, or if they dumped a whole bunch of dirt and enter from Portola.  Would make sense if extended day care or some type of after school type business goes there.

Existing Elderberry homes look down on it, it's below that walking trail.

It's a nature preserve for a few species of birds. Does community commercial mean it's marked for a market or store? Doesn't seem large enough plot of land.

Actually, now that I look at the zoning map, it does seem large enough for a shopping center.

Commercial implies some kind of business - retail/office/industrial/etc. But as already pointed out that area off Portola Parkway is already developed with the elementary school, runoff area/open space, and elderberry. I guess it's possible they replace the runoff/tree area behind the elementary school with a commercial development, but that seems unlikely.

As for the Portola Parkway Gap Bike Path, I can't find anything about this that's recent. Maybe I'm too pessimistic but I don't think this is likely in the near term either.

someguy said:

I've been wondering the same thing and agree that it would be a good place for retail to pull all the PS/LR/Altair residents away from Woodbury Towne Center.  It is odd that it's completely flat.

moc said:
It's zoned as medium density residential. Unfortunately I don't think any retail is planned in Portola Springs at all, only the retail in the Great Park which I think is still in the distant future.
https://legacy.cityofirvine.org/civica/filebank/blobdload.asp?BlobID=13672

This is good information but is extremely outdated with lots of changes to what's listed on there. I wonder if anyone can find an updated version of this...

moc said:
It's zoned as medium density residential. Unfortunately I don't think any retail is planned in Portola Springs at all, only the retail in the Great Park which I think is still in the distant future.
https://legacy.cityofirvine.org/civica/filebank/blobdload.asp?BlobID=13672

This is good information but is extremely outdated with lots of changes to what's listed on there. I wonder if anyone can find an updated version of this...
[/quote]

This is the City's zoning map as currently posted on their website. If there is more recent information it's not online. It also says the City is working on a general plan update which will be done in late 2021, which should include an updated zoning map.

There is also the Notable Development Projects map which is more specific than the zoning map:https://cityofirvine.maps.arcgis.co...x.html?appid=2d663ab00d0d4eee8cbcd41a1bae0b93

Portola Springs is listed as "Planning Area 6" in the under construction tab and lists "4,602 total units, 438 apartment units and 622 condominiums are under construction, 86 single-family homes have been completed." So again unfortunately no retail. The giant luxury gym at Modjeska/Irvine Blvd and the great park commercial called "Five Point X" are under the approved tab, and those are the only commercial projects in GP/PS.

Back