Trees in backyard

LA2Irvine

Does anybody have any tips or advice on types of trees that would be suitable for a backyard in Portola Springs? I?m worried that a tree might turn into a ball of flame the next time another wildfire comes around. However, the prospect of having natural shade is intriguing as well as it being more aesthetically pleasing than a shade sail.

Much appreciated.

Depends on what's on the HOA's permitted tree list. Also, it's not just the fires, but winds also. Breakage in high winds can be dangerous.

When we moved in the previous owner had Tipu trees in the back yard. They grow like weeds. Big, good for shade, but can also drop leaves like no other SoCal friendly tree. Our neighbors kept their Tipus and are now, 20 years later, close to 70 ft high We replaced a builder original tree out front and put in a Ginkgo, also a fast growing tree. Come winter be ready for yellow leaves everywhere! Thankfully the Ginkgo drops all of their leaves in about 10 days.

There are some Apple varieties that grow in OC. These can be fairly nice shade trees with bonus fruit in a couple of years. Not all that difficult of a tree to grow. If you're considering a fruit tree, I'd also recommend 2-3 Avocado trees. They grow well and can be considered a shade tree in time.

My .02c

Orange County Fire Authority website has a list of recommended fire resistant plants, shrubs and trees, and a list of flammable plants to avoid.

check this link: https://www.ocfa.org/Uploads/SafetyPrograms/OCFA RSG - Vegetation Management Guidelines.pdf

Interestingly, all the cypress, junipers and eucalyptus you see around Irvine are on the highly flammable list and NOT recommended by OCFA.

Strawberry trees are beautiful and a great choice for a backyard--don't need too much water, moderate growers that won't get out of hand in smaller yards, evergreen, have a beautiful reddish bark, and you can get them in interesting multi-trunk shapes that provide nice shade.

misme said:
Strawberry trees are beautiful and a great choice for a backyard--don't need too much water, moderate growers that won't get out of hand in smaller yards, evergreen, have a beautiful reddish bark, and you can get them in interesting multi-trunk shapes that provide nice shade.

Thanks, never knew this was a thing.  Do they sell Strawberry Trees at local nurseries?  Don't think I've seen them at Home Depot. 

aquabliss said:
misme said:

Thanks, never knew this was a thing.  Do they sell Strawberry Trees at local nurseries?  Don't think I've seen them at Home Depot.

Home Depot wouldn't carry large trees.  Moon Valley has them.  It's a common tree for Irvine front yards.  Ronnie, I'm sure you've seem them before.
https://www.monrovia.com/plant-catalog/plants/105/marina-strawberry-tree/

Ya probably have, I didn't even know Strawberries grew on trees.  Not much of a green thumb. 

Could this potentially save the back pain of millions of immigrants?

Any recs to buy larger trees?  As mentioned, Home Depot only carry younger/smaller ones, went to moon nursery, but I don?t know if they jack up prices because of located within Irvine or if they are ok in prices...

Moon Valley is expensive but reliable source for big trees (36 inch box or bigger)

Plant Depot in San Juan Capistrano,
Village Nursery in Orange
are good alternatives

AW said:
Any recs to buy larger trees?  As mentioned, Home Depot only carry younger/smaller ones, went to moon nursery, but I don?t know if they jack up prices because of located within Irvine or if they are ok in prices...

DM Color Express San Juan Capistrano (wholesale only)
Instant Jungle
Upland Nursery (next to Village Nursery in Orange)

Village Nursery and Plant Depot carry mostly smaller stuff.

You can also tell Aki Nursery (next to Kaiser) what you are looking for and she can order it through her wholesaler.  Emily is very knowledgeable and helpful.

aquabliss said:
Ya probably have, I didn't even know Strawberries grew on trees.  Not much of a green thumb. 

:eek:
Uh.. Have you googled strawberry tree?
BTW strawberry tree needs well drained soil.

aquabliss said:

What a maga post! Why don?t use just say the B word on top of that. Lol

eyephone said:
aquabliss said:

What a maga post! Why don?t use just say the B word on top of that. Lol

I?m not pro Trump, more of an independent.  I really wanted Marco Rubio to win the Republican Primary, no such luck.

What?s wrong with the immigrant comment?  Every time I drive on Portola my back hurts just looking at those guys bending over all days picking strawberries.  That?s rough work.

Back